Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Willie Hot seat

Ok guys. I’ve been tight lipped on this but I’ll spill what I know as a now long time financial contributor to the football program. There are definitely people in athletics and fellow boosters who want Taggart gone but that movement does not have enough support to really make it happen. The main reasons why are, and in no particular order: 1) The buyout fee as it stands today makes things tough given the exit and entry fees we’re about to incur as we transition conferences. 2) There’s just not a lot of quality candidates on the market right now. Kendal Briles appears to be a popular name that gets thrown around as a replacement but there’s some doubt in that interest being mutual. Briles might land a P5 job this cycle for what it’s worth. 3) Expect a big time shuffle to the staff as is but it’s likely Taggart gets one more year. I’ll emphasize that he’s on a short leash but that I’ve been told that all options remain on the table as far as this off-season. If we have another season like this one, he’ll be gone after next year for sure and that’s if he’s still here passed the next couple of weeks. He probably will be but if the right coach becomes available he can be gone. It’s just unclear what that looks like at this time.
Back to the top

SeminOwl28 said

faufan2017 said

Why has it been so quiet lately…I feel like since the season has ended there has been no communication about anything from the university. Why aren't our coaches talking about recruiting? Where is the statement from the admin about confidence in the coaching staff?
Posted On: Nov 30th 2021, 5:08 PM #405610

Nothing really positive to say.  The same reason our football program hasn't been highlighted in the "this week in FAU sports" emails I get.   

Taggart took a 11-3 conference USA title  team and torpedoed them to a 10-11 also ran program in his first two years.   The guy is a black plague on programs.  He has ruined all the momentum we built with kiffin and if the admins had balls , he'd be fired already
Posted On: Nov 30th 2021, 5:30 PM #405612

When the admin comes out and makes a statement about confidence in the coaching staff it usually means the exact opposite, otherwise there would be no need for the statement. Quietness is our friend right now.

WT gets one more year. The school needs our support to grow and succeed. Keep supporting. Trash talk and negative things against our own Coach only hurts the team. What do you think potential recruits think when they see negative stuff about our own coach?

Brian White and President Kelly won’t accept mediocrity. But if WT is to succeed then he will need our support, as will any coach here at FAU, the best darn school in the country.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

NJOWL said

SeminOwl28 said

faufan2017 said

Why has it been so quiet lately…I feel like since the season has ended there has been no communication about anything from the university. Why aren't our coaches talking about recruiting? Where is the statement from the admin about confidence in the coaching staff?

Nothing really positive to say.  The same reason our football program hasn't been highlighted in the "this week in FAU sports" emails I get.   

Taggart took a 11-3 conference USA title  team and torpedoed them to a 10-11 also ran program in his first two years.   The guy is a black plague on programs.  He has ruined all the momentum we built with kiffin and if the admins had balls , he'd be fired already

When the admin comes out and makes a statement about confidence in the coaching staff it usually means the exact opposite, otherwise there would be no need for the statement. Quietness is our friend right now.

WT gets one more year. The school needs our support to grow and succeed. Keep supporting. Trash talk and negative things against our own Coach only hurts the team. What do you think potential recruits think when they see negative stuff about our own coach?

Brian White and President Kelly won’t accept mediocrity. But if WT is to succeed then he will need our support, as will any coach here at FAU, the best darn school in the country.
Posted On: Nov 30th 2021, 9:07 PM #405614

I quite disagree. I think potential recruits are wondering as much as we are about the state of the program. National signing day is only a few weeks away, and without official confirmation about the status of the HC, they'll be reluctant. Recruits don't have to look at our pessimistic comments on here about the coaching…most of them probably have suspicions of it based on our jarringly bad performance over the past two seasons
Back to the top

faufan2017 said

NJOWL said

SeminOwl28 said

faufan2017 said

I quite disagree. I think potential recruits are wondering as much as we are about the state of the program. National signing day is only a few weeks away, and without official confirmation about the status of the HC, they'll be reluctant. Recruits don't have to look at our pessimistic comments on here about the coaching…most of them probably have suspicions of it based on our jarringly bad performance over the past two seasons
Posted On: Nov 30th 2021, 9:54 PM #405616

I spoke with a number potential recruits who questioned me about the disparaging comments our own fans make about WT on social media. They said they were not so sure about him if that is what our fans think of him. Recruits’ parents definitely go on our twitter / facebook / instagram / owls nest and see what we have to say about him.

Admin giving some sort of “official confirmation” about the coach is usual one of the following:
- the coach is about to be fired.
- the coach is on the hot seat and that is immediately signaled to recruits and current players, none of whom would want to commit or stay (as the case may be) if they think the coach is about to be canned.

“Jarringly bad performance over the past two seasons”…. Oh man…. Where were you from 2010 through 2016 if you think this was “jarringly bad”? Bad, sure. But not bad when you consider the status of the roster and COVID since WT took over.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

I’m off the WT bandwagon, but I’ll say a few things in defense of WT. I think people are insinuating we were 11-3, so we should either remain there or go up. The issue is that’s not how G5 football works. You can mostly dominate G5 with a few good players, but once they graduate or leave you revert back to the mean. Also, does anyone really think Lane recruited with a 5 year plan in mind? Lane plugged in a few short term holes, but it was mostly Charlie’s guys. I know we had a few #1 recruiting classes, but in large, most of the players did not pan out. Lastly, WT was terrible in a lot of aspects, but I do think he took responsibility for the shortcomings of the team. In most interviews during the slide he would say things like this is on me or the coaches need to do better and that starts with me. 
Back to the top

I get that recruits may be reluctant to sign with a school based on negative fan comments on social media. Im also sure some have questions about the quality of the coaching staff distinct from what they see from fans. Two back-to-back 5 win seasons is truly concerning when people realize this was not a rebuild job and we we're coming off 11-3.

I really really wanted WT to be successful here. I also had a lot of confidence in his coaching because his record at USF/WKU truly fits the picture of a "program builder." But after painstakingly watching our team over the past two years, it has truly been jarring to me - why do we keep getting blown out by terrible programs under the WT era (ODU, MTSU, SMU, Georgia Southern)? And why is our offense consistently one of the worst in the country?  We fired our co-OC last season, recruited a top tier P5 QB, returned 15 starters on offense and yet our offense looks just as bad as last year.

Because there are so many FBS teams in Florida, we have to strive for strong performance at all times otherwise we're falling behind our neighbors and stagnating as a program. Just look how far USF collapsed with Charlie Strong.
Back to the top

NJOWL said

SeminOwl28 said

faufan2017 said

They are accepting mediocrity or worse by keeping taggart. I'm not going to lie or sugarcoat things.   He's a garbage coach.

The recruits and parents can see the performance with their own eyes …it's been awful.
Back to the top

Including the last 8 awful minutes of the UTEP "victory", we have been outscored 63-152!

-89 POINTS

THINK ABOUT THAT OWL FANS! IN CUSA PLAY, AND ALL 5 WERE OPPONENTS NOT INCLUDED IN THE AAC EXPANSION PACKAGE!!!!!
Back to the top

SeminOwl28 said

They are accepting mediocrity or worse by keeping taggart. I'm not going to lie or sugarcoat things.   He's a garbage coach.

The recruits and parents can see the performance with their own eyes …it's been awful.
Posted On: Dec 1st 2021, 6:05 AM #405620

same rehashed post every day

want a cracker?
Back to the top

Parrot said

SeminOwl28 said

Posted On: Dec 1st 2021, 6:05 AM #405620

same rehashed post every day

want a cracker?

Posted On: Dec 1st 2021, 8:43 AM #405623

It would be more useful than taggart. Which taggart family member are you to not see how he's torpedoed the program ?  Any person who went to Florida Atlantic should see it by now and want him out.

Back to the top
Control functions: