Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Willie Hot seat

Workin for the cracker
Back to the top

Hey guys! It has been a while.

Things are heated, and I wanted to stop by and say hi and drop a bit of perspective on something I spent long time researching.

FAU will always be jumping board to bigger jobs, but the administration must be stringent moving forward when considering coaches. They can not let any future coaches make roster decisions where it is clear that they do not have the program's long-term health in mind.
Back to the top

Hi Shane - thank you for the statistical analysis of our previous recruiting classes. I can tell that there was a lot of turnover from the previous coaching staff and that Taggart did have a lot of work set out on the recruiting front.

My assumption was that since we did very well against SMU on our bowl game in 2019 despite a majority of our seniors sitting out, that we still had a very strong talented group going into 2020. Which I thought many returned in 2021 for covid exemptions. I know we did lose Chris Robison and John Raine but figured WT would fill in those gaps from the portal.

Taggart has had 2 recruiting classes so far 32 players in 2020 and 24 in 2021 for 56 new players. I recognize that it may be early for the high schoolers to be contributors already, but I'm curious if some of the transfers worked out for WT.
Back to the top

faufan2017 said

Hi Shane - thank you for the statistical analysis of our previous recruiting classes. I can tell that there was a lot of turnover from the previous coaching staff and that Taggart did have a lot of work set out on the recruiting front.

My assumption was that since we did very well against SMU on our bowl game in 2019 despite a majority of our seniors sitting out, that we still had a very strong talented group going into 2020. Which I thought many returned in 2021 for covid exemptions. I know we did lose Chris Robison and John Raine but figured WT would fill in those gaps from the portal.

Taggart has had 2 recruiting classes so far 32 players in 2020 and 24 in 2021 for 56 new players. I recognize that it may be early for the high schoolers to be contributors already, but I'm curious if some of the transfers worked out for WT.
Posted On: Dec 1st 2021, 3:50 PM #405633

The high school players Taggart has brought have shown some great promise. Look at the young guys inside the defensive line, and the sneak peek we got at guys Jahmal Edrine, Zuberi Mobley, and Jayden Williams in the last couple of games.

The transfers from 2020 were big misses, but that is a tough ask. Since the start of the early signing period in 2017, there is data that shows new head coaches taking over struggle with the first class. You get hired typically two or three weeks before the signing period, and it is a scramble. They grabbed whatever transfer you could, and remember that was still before the open transfer rule started- not the same level of talented players entered as we have seen the past two seasons.

The 2021 transfers have been better, and most still have 2-3 years left, so you could argue they are like an extension of high school recruiting.

Back to the top

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

Things are heated, and I wanted to stop by and say hi and drop a bit of perspective on something I spent long time researching…

Posted On: Dec 1st 2021, 3:32 PM #405632

Shane:
This is possibly the best synopsis of what reality is.
Well researched and written.
Should be mandatory reading for all true FAU football fans.

Back to the top

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

Things are heated, and I wanted to stop by and say hi and drop a bit of perspective on something I spent long time researching…

Posted On: Dec 1st 2021, 3:32 PM #405632

Good post, and good to see you  :cool:
Back to the top

We can all thank Lane Kiffin for two conference championships and two bowl game wins, but let’s face it, he was here to win and move on.
He was not recruiting for the future only to win immediately and that is okay, just not the fault of Willie why we really do not have all of the talent so many say we have.
There is a lot of talent in C-USA and they beat us.
Back to the top

Sorry but Old Dominion and Middle Tennessee don't have more talent than Florida Atlantic.  They just have better schemes , playbooks, coaching and discipline
Back to the top

SeminOwl28 said

Sorry but Old Dominion and Middle Tennessee don't have more talent than Florida Atlantic.  They just have better schemes , playbooks, coaching and discipline
Posted On: Dec 2nd 2021, 9:09 AM #405657

This is a hard subject for me to debate on, because it will sound like I am trashing the kids who just put a lot of work into playing for my school this year.

But go read Shane's post again…

We dont have the talent you think we have.  And yes, the ODU team I saw was more talented than us.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I sure hope not Walty!

I  feel they were better prepared and the players showed they wanted it more!

Our collapse coincides with our move up into the AAC. I feel we became a target and were not prepared for it mentally. The MTSU collapse proves that to me.

THEY WANTED IT AND WE DID NOT. WE LET THEM TAKE OUR BOWL SPOT IN OUR HOUSE!!!!

And schemes matter too. WKU has a bunch of FCS transfers, we have a bunch of P5 transfers. WHO KICKED WHOS A…S!

Can y'all tell; I am quite angry with our level of Coaching and motivation how far down the hill we have fallen!
Back to the top
Control functions: