Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Willie Hot seat

Most coaches have a niche, or an expertise on why they are a golden hire.  It can be offensive minded, excellent recruiter or defensive minded to the sense that it can impact the scores on games thus creating wins. Taggart was supposed to be tis genius on Offense, and tbh we have not been the best on that side of the ball.

For me why he should lose his job is the lack of preparation for when we play road games except FIU and Charlotte.
Years ago I made the trip to the Montgomery bowl, we played Memphis and even though they were kind of better we were not good, we were flat.  Even though earlier in the year we made progress we came close but did not win, say we win against Purdue and we don't make a bowl Willie might be spared.   

The X factor in all of this has been QB play.  I think even though the stats show Perry is solid 23 tds and 5 picks his completion rate is in the mid 50's which is horrendous in a pass happy spread offense football landscape.  Perry fumbled on the goal line twice in the UCF game and in the last game, in the UCF game it killed our momentum. He threw that pick in the Purdue game even after that bogus call he should have gotten us in to set the tone, but no.

Come Saturday will be the end of a lot of things, but tbh we have underperformed badly, look UTSA is ranked in the coaches poll, why cant that be us.  Mr. White better have a list ready and do a thourguh coaching search than being a lazy AD, we lost 3 years of growth and of continuing what Kiffin built.  I say Both White and Taggart should be gone.  

I don't see massive improvements on any front, attendance is still meh.  No promotions, when was the last time you got a bobblehead, its been years.  There is no incentive for season ticket holders especially for buying tickets to see a bad product on the field.  Kiffin is the reason we are in the American, if FIU was half as good they would have gotten in before us let that sink in.  Ohh boy next year i feel like its a 1-11 year.  
Back to the top

A little harsh on AD Brian White I think.
The Athletic Department has done well overall, maybe not up to expectations in football.
The Board of Trustees calls the shots and they will decide if Willie stays or goes.
I don’t think Brian will make that call on his own, considering the financial implications and heading to a new conference. The Taggart hire was not that of Brian alone. Just, my opinion.
Back to the top

faufan300 said

The X factor in all of this has been QB play.  I think even though the stats show Perry is solid 23 tds and 5 picks his completion rate is in the mid 50's which is horrendous in a pass happy spread offense football landscape.  Perry fumbled on the goal line twice in the UCF game and in the last game, in the UCF game it killed our momentum. He threw that pick in the Purdue game even after that bogus call he should have gotten us in to set the tone, but no.
Posted On: Nov 21st 2022, 10:54 AM #410595

Agree 100%.

This is practically the entire issue…Overall stats are misleading, and can be written to support other narratives in PR fashion, as they are.

But 56% is not misleading and is our demise…Add 7% to the number and we have two more wins.

In his defense, he has played two games hurt - North Texas, and MTSU.

And we were beaten badly in both.

Not making excuses, but that is a data point.

Also, we have no back-up quarterback in all reality.

When Johnson went down with the season ending injury in practice, it was not good for our overall plan, or chances for success with injury at QB 1.

Back to the top

Rick said

faufan300 said

Posted On: Nov 21st 2022, 10:54 AM #410595

Agree 100%.

This is practically the entire issue…Overall stats are misleading, and can be written to support other narratives in PR fashion, as they are.

But 56% is not misleading and is our demise…Add 7% to the number and we have two more wins.

In his defense, he has played two games hurt - North Texas, and MTSU.

And we were beaten badly in both.

Not making excuses, but that is a data point.

Also, we have no back-up quarterback in all reality.

When Johnson went down with the season ending injury in practice, it was not good for our overall plan, or chances for success with injury at QB 1.

Posted On: Nov 21st 2022, 11:29 AM #410597
Agree as well.
Mistakes can be made recruiting 17 and 18 year old high school players.
Miami moved on from Perry and he saw the writing on the wall and came here.
Maybe not our best option, but we are living with it now.

Back to the top

If injured and being beaten badly, WHEN do you decide to play backups and get them GAME experience???

Willie is not doing that to build future experience OR depth!

You saw the reaction from Mr. Mobley and I have to agree with him 100%. McCammon IS having a good year but what has happened to using Ford, Scott, Mobley????????
Back to the top

Offensive production and consistency have been questionable for Taggart's entire tenure. The team looks solid one week and then flounders the next. To me, it is an issue of discipline and preparation. Those two things create consistency. Hitting receivers, catching balls, making blocks, getting assignments correct (routes and blocking), avoiding penalties. All are things the team has struggled with in recent years. All fall on the head coach. If this team played to its potential each week, the outcome of the season would look very different. Too many mistakes and missed opportunities.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I agree. I posted in the fearless prediction thread that FAU will win this week because that’s what I want to happen but in reality, I’m expecting us to lose and to move on from Taggart a few days after. I like Deion Sanders, Dan Mullen or Kendal/Art Briles as replacements
Back to the top

LawOwl said

I agree. I posted in the fearless prediction thread that FAU will win this week because that’s what I want to happen but in reality, I’m expecting us to lose and to move on from Taggart a few days after. I like Deion Sanders, Dan Mullen or Kendal/Art Briles as replacements
Posted On: Nov 23rd 2022, 6:49 AM #410647

Mullen or KB, IMO. I don’t think Sanders would come here when he’s already crushing it and taking HBCUs as a whole to a new level.
Back to the top

Personally I think we look to another old face in Charlie Wei’s Jr. He would implement a dynamic run first offense which is great with the type of RB’s we can recruit. We have been our best as a program when have had a dynamic running game. 

There are not  many Chris Robisons coming to this program very often. 
Back to the top

David Slavic said

LawOwl said

Posted On: Nov 23rd 2022, 6:49 AM #410647

Mullen or KB, IMO. I don’t think Sanders would come here when he’s already crushing it and taking HBCUs as a whole to a new level.
Posted On: Nov 23rd 2022, 9:30 AM #410650

I just do not think the Briles name is worth the PR. Art did not even last 2 days as the Grambling OC. A lot of young play callers around the country you do not have to worry about that type of PR. KB is also very tied in with the state of Texas and if you follow Ark football there has been some frustration with how their season has gone.
I like the idea of CW Jr. and they could swing big for Alex Golesh.
Back to the top
Control functions: