Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Willie Taggart in the ACC, Past FSU Performance, and as a Coach

SeminOwl28 said

walty12 said

SeminOwl28 said

walty12 said

SeminOwl28 said

walty12 said

cbboarder said

SeminOwl28 said

walty12 said

SeminOwl28 said

cbboarder said

ROwl2007 said

I still don't understand why thinking that the current team can win CUSA equals to saying WT is as talented as Kiffin. I also don't understand how having a different opinion on the team makes me (or us) mediocre. Firing a coach mid season after losing a close game to a Big10 team will not put us in a better position, and I think (personal opinion, nobody has to agree with me) that giving 3 seasons to a coach shows that admin is serious about the program and likes to plan ahead.

If I am a coach, I would not like to go to a program that has the potential to be a revolving door.
TW's year 1 was 2020, Covid year, not a normal or accurate measuring stick. Last year was a disappointment, but we also had a QB that had not been on campus until August. This year there is no excuse and, as disappointed as I was about the UCF game, the last game gave me hope about the conference play. Purdue is not the same as Oklahoma and Wisconsin, but we still went toe to toe with a better school on a much better conference. If being able to see positives and be optimistic about conference play makes me a homer, so be it.

I don't think WT should stay next year. He has been outcoached in many games we could have won. The Ohio game was awful, UCF should have been more competitive, and Purdue was in our pocket. This doesn't mean he has to be let go after 4 games in the season.

And one last thing, I really appreciate the effort put on keeping this forum up and running. Most people can have respectful discussions and different points of view have always been welcomed. I rarely participate, but I have been reading for many years now. That being said, I don't believe this is a public service and anybody that believes there is an agenda just because people don't agree with him/her or because the moderator believes a topic belongs to a different thread can always open and maintain their own forum.

Let's win the conference! Go Owls!
Posted On: Sep 28th 2022, 8:50 AM #408687
Well said.

My only counterpoint would be I don't think there's anyone here wanting WT to be fired mid season.

Posted On: Sep 28th 2022, 9:07 AM #408689
I definitely have said all year that he gets this season to prove it. Now with the cusa games, he can prove it
Posted On: Sep 28th 2022, 9:52 AM #408704
Agreed, and I think many on this board (not to speak for him, but including the owner) are ready to leave it right there.

Reason people care about the CUSA games are because they are the games in our weight class.  College football most definitely has weight classes.  I'm ready to see how this team does.

This team 100% must perform in the remaining 7 games.  They need to win 5 of 7.  Anything less, we need to take a good look at making a change in the offseason.

on a head scratching side note…I still think the roster lacks talent in some areas and have been only mildly excited about the recruiting we've done.  I feel like he was more successful recruiting at other stops, not sure why?  Could be the FSU debacle…he should have never jumped on that sinking disaster of a ship.  Cristobal is on a similar ship right now.

Either way, I thought when hiring WT part of the upside would be recruiting at a higher level than ever before (HS kids) and I haven't seen that come to fruition.  That's the part that worries me more than if he wins 7 or 8 games this year.

We are in S FL, we are moving up another conference, we have invested into facilities and have an exploding campus in a beautiful area…align that all with an 'Ace' recruiter, our classes should look vastly different than 2015/16.  They dont.

Posted On: Sep 28th 2022, 10:29 AM #408707
Norvell is showing that all was not lost there.  Just saying

I agree we shouldn't be expected to beat p5s but Ohio U is on our level.  That's the MAC.  We've only beaten a fcs team and a bad Charlotte team.  Now we shall see about further cusa play.  

I agree 5 of 7 is the lower rung of what needs to be done.  Even that is 7-5 which isn't phenomenal.  But could save the job.

8-4 and over and definitely he is staying.   I've been consistent on that
Posted On: Sep 28th 2022, 10:47 AM #408708

Norvell is Definitely coaching his team up.

Posted On: Sep 28th 2022, 11:14 AM #408714
You sure about this?  If I showed you the level of 4 and 5* players on FSU vs Wake, maybe you think differently.  

There is no reason, from a talent perspective Wake should be able to compete with FSU.  Let alone go to Tallahassee and beat them.

Starting to wonder if sites are giving higher ratings to FL kids than deserved?  It’s either that, or every FL college program has terrible coaching, 
Posted On: Oct 1st 2022, 10:33 PM #408969
Did you read what I wrote ?   Some of you guys were trying to rip FSU to justify the Taggart hire from the start.   I tried to warn you guys.   You were wrong. Taggart sucks. Some of you are coming around

Others are trying to rip norvell for some reason to lash out but I've said 9-3 or 8-4 would be fine. I said wake is good. I'm not shocked they won. They are a top 20 type team

Taggart torpedoed FSU.  Takes longer to recover as a p5 vs G5.   I never talked like they'd go 11-1
Posted On: Oct 1st 2022, 11:08 PM #408993
Never have ripped FSU.  Don’t have anything against FSU.  Have no reason to rip FSU.

I am simply pointing out a HC in his 3rd year with much more talent lost at home today.  According to recruiting sites anyway.  I am more questioning their evaluations than anything.  If the 4* and 5* players at FSU were “coached up” they should have won that game on paper.  Every day, all day.

Also, 8 wins at FSU in year 3 isn’t good.
Posted On: Oct 1st 2022, 11:11 PM #408994

8-4 at FSU in year 3 after Willie torpedoed the program and peed on the ashes is just fine.  There was a lot of work to clear out cancer players and change the culture.  He did a number.

FSU is 4-1.  FAU might not get to 5 wins this year. Let's get real.   It's night and day when comparing the progress vs regression of the two programs .

Again wake is a good team.  FSU did battle back.  Losing to wake by 10 isn't some embarrassment this year.  They almost beat Clemson.  
Posted On: Oct 1st 2022, 11:16 PM #408995

I guess.

Again, nothing against FSU.  Hope they turn it around.  Tough 2 weeks coming up.
Posted On: Oct 1st 2022, 11:24 PM #408998

These are the best 3 teams on the schedule on paper.  I said that before.  And uf and Miami are rivalry games.  Heck Syracuse who is usually a joke is much improved.  They have a tough schedule this year. The acc is actually well rounded this season overall.   If he goes 8-4 he's showing progress

Again I wanted Kiffin over norvell but norvell has done many positive things
Posted On: Oct 1st 2022, 11:26 PM #409000

I hate to debate FSU, because I really have zero feelings behind it.  I kind of like FSU as far as FL schools go.

But yes, there is a good chance they lose all 3 of those games.  I am also pointing out, they might be by default the best out of UF and Miami.  Thats not a good thing, it feels like they are just a little better at being average.  This FSU team should by all means lose to what UF and Miami should be.  But to my point, with all of this Florida talent on all 3…why so bad?  Why is FSU at 8 wins the best of the 3?  Read and hear all the time how 3* FL kids are like 5* kids from other states.

That notion is far from playing out right now.

And while Norvell is doing good things, most expect more from FSU in its 3rd year of a HC to lose to its best 3 opponents.  *Thats a compliment to the progam*

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

SeminOwl28 said

walty12 said

SeminOwl28 said

walty12 said

SeminOwl28 said

walty12 said

cbboarder said

SeminOwl28 said

walty12 said

SeminOwl28 said

cbboarder said

ROwl2007 said

I still don't understand why thinking that the current team can win CUSA equals to saying WT is as talented as Kiffin. I also don't understand how having a different opinion on the team makes me (or us) mediocre. Firing a coach mid season after losing a close game to a Big10 team will not put us in a better position, and I think (personal opinion, nobody has to agree with me) that giving 3 seasons to a coach shows that admin is serious about the program and likes to plan ahead.

If I am a coach, I would not like to go to a program that has the potential to be a revolving door.
TW's year 1 was 2020, Covid year, not a normal or accurate measuring stick. Last year was a disappointment, but we also had a QB that had not been on campus until August. This year there is no excuse and, as disappointed as I was about the UCF game, the last game gave me hope about the conference play. Purdue is not the same as Oklahoma and Wisconsin, but we still went toe to toe with a better school on a much better conference. If being able to see positives and be optimistic about conference play makes me a homer, so be it.

I don't think WT should stay next year. He has been outcoached in many games we could have won. The Ohio game was awful, UCF should have been more competitive, and Purdue was in our pocket. This doesn't mean he has to be let go after 4 games in the season.

And one last thing, I really appreciate the effort put on keeping this forum up and running. Most people can have respectful discussions and different points of view have always been welcomed. I rarely participate, but I have been reading for many years now. That being said, I don't believe this is a public service and anybody that believes there is an agenda just because people don't agree with him/her or because the moderator believes a topic belongs to a different thread can always open and maintain their own forum.

Let's win the conference! Go Owls!
Posted On: Sep 28th 2022, 8:50 AM #408687
Well said.

My only counterpoint would be I don't think there's anyone here wanting WT to be fired mid season.

Posted On: Sep 28th 2022, 9:07 AM #408689
I definitely have said all year that he gets this season to prove it. Now with the cusa games, he can prove it
Posted On: Sep 28th 2022, 9:52 AM #408704
Agreed, and I think many on this board (not to speak for him, but including the owner) are ready to leave it right there.

Reason people care about the CUSA games are because they are the games in our weight class.  College football most definitely has weight classes.  I'm ready to see how this team does.

This team 100% must perform in the remaining 7 games.  They need to win 5 of 7.  Anything less, we need to take a good look at making a change in the offseason.

on a head scratching side note…I still think the roster lacks talent in some areas and have been only mildly excited about the recruiting we've done.  I feel like he was more successful recruiting at other stops, not sure why?  Could be the FSU debacle…he should have never jumped on that sinking disaster of a ship.  Cristobal is on a similar ship right now.

Either way, I thought when hiring WT part of the upside would be recruiting at a higher level than ever before (HS kids) and I haven't seen that come to fruition.  That's the part that worries me more than if he wins 7 or 8 games this year.

We are in S FL, we are moving up another conference, we have invested into facilities and have an exploding campus in a beautiful area…align that all with an 'Ace' recruiter, our classes should look vastly different than 2015/16.  They dont.

Posted On: Sep 28th 2022, 10:29 AM #408707
Norvell is showing that all was not lost there.  Just saying

I agree we shouldn't be expected to beat p5s but Ohio U is on our level.  That's the MAC.  We've only beaten a fcs team and a bad Charlotte team.  Now we shall see about further cusa play.  

I agree 5 of 7 is the lower rung of what needs to be done.  Even that is 7-5 which isn't phenomenal.  But could save the job.

8-4 and over and definitely he is staying.   I've been consistent on that
Posted On: Sep 28th 2022, 10:47 AM #408708

Norvell is Definitely coaching his team up.

Posted On: Sep 28th 2022, 11:14 AM #408714
You sure about this?  If I showed you the level of 4 and 5* players on FSU vs Wake, maybe you think differently.  

There is no reason, from a talent perspective Wake should be able to compete with FSU.  Let alone go to Tallahassee and beat them.

Starting to wonder if sites are giving higher ratings to FL kids than deserved?  It’s either that, or every FL college program has terrible coaching, 
Posted On: Oct 1st 2022, 10:33 PM #408969
Did you read what I wrote ?   Some of you guys were trying to rip FSU to justify the Taggart hire from the start.   I tried to warn you guys.   You were wrong. Taggart sucks. Some of you are coming around

Others are trying to rip norvell for some reason to lash out but I've said 9-3 or 8-4 would be fine. I said wake is good. I'm not shocked they won. They are a top 20 type team

Taggart torpedoed FSU.  Takes longer to recover as a p5 vs G5.   I never talked like they'd go 11-1
Posted On: Oct 1st 2022, 11:08 PM #408993
Never have ripped FSU.  Don’t have anything against FSU.  Have no reason to rip FSU.

I am simply pointing out a HC in his 3rd year with much more talent lost at home today.  According to recruiting sites anyway.  I am more questioning their evaluations than anything.  If the 4* and 5* players at FSU were “coached up” they should have won that game on paper.  Every day, all day.

Also, 8 wins at FSU in year 3 isn’t good.
Posted On: Oct 1st 2022, 11:11 PM #408994

8-4 at FSU in year 3 after Willie torpedoed the program and peed on the ashes is just fine.  There was a lot of work to clear out cancer players and change the culture.  He did a number.

FSU is 4-1.  FAU might not get to 5 wins this year. Let's get real.   It's night and day when comparing the progress vs regression of the two programs .

Again wake is a good team.  FSU did battle back.  Losing to wake by 10 isn't some embarrassment this year.  They almost beat Clemson.  
Posted On: Oct 1st 2022, 11:16 PM #408995

I guess.

Again, nothing against FSU.  Hope they turn it around.  Tough 2 weeks coming up.
Posted On: Oct 1st 2022, 11:24 PM #408998

These are the best 3 teams on the schedule on paper.  I said that before.  And uf and Miami are rivalry games.  Heck Syracuse who is usually a joke is much improved.  They have a tough schedule this year. The acc is actually well rounded this season overall.   If he goes 8-4 he's showing progress

Again I wanted Kiffin over norvell but norvell has done many positive things
Posted On: Oct 1st 2022, 11:26 PM #409000

I hate to debate FSU, because I really have zero feelings behind it.  I kind of like FSU as far as FL schools go.

But yes, there is a good chance they lose all 3 of those games.  I am also pointing out, they might be by default the best out of UF and Miami.  Thats not a good thing, it feels like they are just a little better at being average.  This FSU team should by all means lose to what UF and Miami should be.  But to my point, with all of this Florida talent on all 3…why so bad?  Why is FSU at 8 wins the best of the 3?  Read and hear all the time how 3* FL kids are like 5* kids from other states.

That notion is far from playing out right now.

And while Norvell is doing good things, most expect more from FSU in its 3rd year of a HC to lose to its best 3 opponents.  *Thats a compliment to the progam*
Posted On: Oct 1st 2022, 11:32 PM #409001

TCU killed Oklahoma today

Mississippi state killed Texas a&m today

Want to compare their recruiting rankings ?

It's about more than that. Again Taggart left a complete dumpster fire at FSU.   There was a lot of bad apples there and an entitled attitude.  Hes cleaning that up.  FSU hasn't had a player arrested under norvell.  They are playing as a team

Wake is good. I'm not worried. I don't look at just the school names. I watch them play.  
Back to the top
Control functions: