Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Looking to Lock Up May With Extension

Add topic

FAU Looking to Lock Up May With Extension
Back to the top

Any details on the progress on this? I feel like Dusty would definitely stick around if we made a good effort to keep him around
Back to the top

Progress? We just asked him the question an hour ago  :Big-Grin:
Back to the top

Thank goodness. We've GOT to come up with some kind of plan to keep him here. Being good in the top two college sports will be huge for FAU's relevance in the next 5-10 years before we realign again.
Back to the top

David Slavic said

Thank goodness. We've GOT to come up with some kind of plan to keep him here. Being good in the top two college sports will be huge for FAU's relevance in the next 5-10 years before we realign again.

Posted On: Mar 14th 2023, 5:21 PM #413059

Definitely agree with you there. It's about time FAU has consistency with one of their sports being one of the best in the country 🔥
Back to the top

Haha I meant like any insider stuff you've heard about? Any big donors that the AD is courting or?
Back to the top

I don't think anyone on the call was expecting the question - possibly including him.

It was our last guaranteed and scheduled call with him, so it had to be done. Richard and I met before hand and established the wording so that it would work out one of three ways:

1. Yes (which happened)
2. No comment
3. No

We agreed Richard would ask it and he handled it perfectly. The response was immediate, there was no silence, or awkwardness whatsoever. Coach May is the most straight up, honest, and open coaches I have ever engaged with at FAU. He simply tells it like it is.

I believe that he was completely genuine in his response (which I quoted verbatim in the tweet published), unlike some others who have come before in FAU history for both football and basketball.

All this said, no, haven't tapped anyone to see what is going on "deal wise" behind the scenes. What he said is the deal. No point in it. He wants to stay and wants to see what we will offer him to do so. Let's just hope FAU can pull together an offer that he is comfortable with to keep him. If he leaves, then they couldn't match what he wanted. That simple. And his statement still remains true and honest.

The team will be very good again next year - and even better - given the number of returnees. We only lose Forrest. So he could benefit by staying put IMHO. Yes, we will experience an upgrade in league talent, but it's not that drastic. The AAC is only to spots up on RPI (8th, 10th) and the team driving that is leaving (Houston).
Back to the top

I think with all the young guys coming back and the change of conference, we might be able to keep him around for another year.... big schools will start calling if we have a deep run this year in the tournament....

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

I may have missed it but does May’s current contract have incentives in it like the football coaches? I couldn’t find any details other than the salary. I’d be curious if so, money well spent!  
Back to the top

Yes, he's already gotten at least $50K extra.
Back to the top
Control functions: