Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

May Stays! FAU Retains Dusty May as Head Coach

Add topic

Back to the top

That SEC invitation sounds more like a back handed compliment.

The other article; I was living on campus 78-80. I don't remember anything about a soccer team except maybe the professional soccer team in Ft Lauderdale playing at our ex-stadium. I doubt he was talking about that. One thing important he left off was the baseball team showed up in the fall of 1980.

I didn't realize just how unprepared FAU was to take on intercollegiate sports. The JC I went to had a gym and a basketball team and a couple of other sports. FAU didn't even have a gym. Just a small field house, a small pool and some recreational softball fields and outdoor basketball courts.  

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Comment: #news_3535

illinoisowl said

That SEC invitation sounds more like a back handed compliment.

The other article; I was living on campus 78-80. I don't remember anything about a soccer team except maybe the professional soccer team in Ft Lauderdale playing at our ex-stadium. I doubt he was talking about that. One thing important he left off was the baseball team showed up in the fall of 1980.

I didn't realize just how unprepared FAU was to take on intercollegiate sports. The JC I went to had a gym and a basketball team and a couple of other sports. FAU didn't even have a gym. Just a small field house, a small pool and some recreational softball fields and outdoor basketball courts.  
Posted On: Mar 31st 2023, 7:33 PM #413812

I graduated in '79 and agree we had no gym or anything. Intramural football was played out there, we parked on the runway! He talked about club soccer which I was not aware of but could have n-been being formed then. We had no true soccer field, no tennis courts and no track.

This is all why I am so proud to see how much FAU has grown and changed! From just the upper level class school to go to following JUCO to a full 4-year University with Grad programs, Nursing and Medical Schools and all we see now!

But gotta admit to being VERY envious of todays students who do get to have a full College experience, would have LOVED it!
Back to the top

I’m envious the current students get to live in such nice dorms. I lived in dorm 6. We didn’t use the names back then. It is the original dorm, oldest, first one. Nothing special at all. Two rooms, bedroom and study area. Bathroom was shared with the adjoining suite. No place to sit and relax other than your bed or desk. 
Some of us, like me, built a loft where we slept. We had a living room below. Loved it! 
My brother, who was in the Air Force at the time, visited once. He remarked that it was no different than a military dorm. 

Back to the top

To get back on topic. I’m am extremely pleased May is staying. He’s accomplished what no one before him has. From reading all the articles the last couple of days I had no idea it was that bad, especially in the beginning of the program. 

There is a movie script here. 

What I find kind of sad and ironic is, all the revenue from post season play will not be shared by the teams that generated it. 

Back to the top

I think we were very lucky that alot of big openings got filled early. Also the feeling that not many of these kids are going to look hard at moving somewhere else in the portal helps. I'm sure May's contract has a large buyout which will protect us when schools come hard next year. Hopefully, all this momentum will get the university looking into a new arena project as well….

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Silver Bullet said

I think we were very lucky that alot of big openings got filled early. Also the feeling that not many of these kids are going to look hard at moving somewhere else in the portal helps. I'm sure May's contract has a large buyout which will protect us when schools come hard next year. Hopefully, all this momentum will get the university looking into a new arena project as well….
Posted On: Apr 2nd 2023, 8:54 PM #413892

If they had 80 million they'd announce the arena tomorrow. People just have to keep stepping up and showing support.
Back to the top

If we want a chance to keep this going...people need to get our players paid. We can let this run become some flash in pan like FGCU etc.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

TONS of great press coming to FAU now, here are some examples;

https://www.esquire.com/sports/a43472569/fau-florida-atlantic-university-final-four-story/

FAU, here's your invitation to join the SEC
Posted On: Mar 31st 2023, 4:02 PM #413806
Great article GeorgiaOwl! I never knew about the Military connection.

Here's another random article in National Geographic:

Not just a mascot: The real owls of Florida Atlantic are underdogs too.

So much to be proud of for sure. Looking forward to who we may pick up in the portal. Hoping for a guard with size like Martin, to replace Mr. Fau, Forrest.

Thank you Michael for all that you have done for our University. Wishing you much success in the engineering field.

Also a huge thanks to such an awesome run at the title. Thank you for helping us get respect as a university in the college basketball world.

I can tell you that living in North Carolina for 28 years and now Virginia, I can now talk proudly about our team to the basketball capital of the Country. And now South Florida is getting the respect they deserve. Hooty Hoot!!

Go Owls!!!!!!
Back to the top

Here are a couple more articles out today!

Brian Dutcher - SDSU, FAU proof you don't need 'millions' in NIL to win

UConn Huskies are No. 1 in 2023-24 Way-Too-Early Top 25 men's college basketball rankings

Just incredible stuff we could only dream of before this TEAM!

Congrats men. unbelievably great job! So proud of y'all!
Back to the top
Control functions: