Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Observations-

Add topic

I have watched virtually every game this year except Illinois and I think this was one of the worst officiated games. We didn't dig ourselves into a hole, but teams are playing toe to toe with us and I feel we are not playing our style of basketball.† What made us special last year was timely 3 point shooting and amazing transition basketball creating many open looks.† This years team has been off, May needs to understand that we played 39 games last year and coaches have had all season to dissect what made us special.† We need to adjust and create a different identity until we can get other players into the program.

Goldin has really showed some promise, tbh he has been more of a threat especially working on his free throw shooting.† We need to find a way to get him the ball, and have him kick it out for more open 3 pt shots.† I† mentioned on another post about Greenlee's poor play, he plays scared and doesn't try to score. If he's not producing we need the next guy up and thats Gaffney.† I feel Rosado, Greenlee have struggled the most and I'm not sure they will make this right this late in the season. We may have to ride our starters for heavy minutes.

That being said in order to win games going forward we will need our core 3(Goldin, Martin & Davis) to score and an x factor either Boyd or Gaffney and possibly Spoon.† I think we can win the AAC tournament, I think we can win several NCAA tournament games also, but our adjustments all year have been poor.† Dusty has failed this team on that accord, how did we beat Zona and lose to Bryant is beyond me.† With no changes and our top players not stepping up I see us still getting in as an at large at say an 11 seed, we would get screwed and play a solid Power 5 team and bam 1 and done.

Sure, we challenged ourselves with a harder schedule and tbh that is the only reason we will get in as an at large.† I also thought about this, is this stage too large for us? I still feel the team is off because dusty is flirting with leaving for more money at a blue blood. The team chemistry is internally off.† What do you all feel is the issue?† How far do you really think we go?† I believe in runs and I think we can do something still, but we as fans have expected way more than what was delivered.
Back to the top

I hear you. I could probably write a lot more but these points come to mind immediately:

(i) I don't know the stats, but it doesn't feel like we are nearly as good a shooting team as we were last year. If we aren't knocking down 3s etc consistently with the style we play, we will lose.

(ii) They desperately miss a leader like Forrest out there especially when shots aren't falling. Fwiw I am glad Gaffney is getting more run because I just see him as being a steady glue guy that can settle them down.

(iii) We got into a bad habit of playing up or down to the level of competition.

(iv) Honestly it feels like they may have just peaked too early and haven't quite hit their stride consistently again since the AZ game which (along with the grueling early schedule) probably took a lot out of them.

Overall, I think the lights may have got too bright and they have been either overconfident or tight in games, and haven't adjusted to the expectations despite saying all the right things. So not playing as 'freely' or with the lazer focus on each possession we saw most of last year – leading to inconsistent defensive efforts, careless TOs, missed FTs etc.  

We were never going to out talent teams especially in an improved AAC, but what we thought would set us apart was the experience, familiarity and coaching. I see a team that may have some mental fatigue during such a long, grinding season and a coach trying to juggle and find the right units in different games and situations. So it's been a good, but somewhat inconsistent year considering the lofty expectations.

In all honestly, I don't know what to expect going forward. I know we are all hoping they will flip the switch and turn "it" back on. The UNT game will tell us a whole lot – they win that on the road and handle business against Memphis, I will feel much better. But I can also see us losing both games given what we've seen this year.
Back to the top

d-owl said

(i) I don't know the stats, but it doesn't feel like we are nearly as good a shooting team as we were last year. If we aren't knocking down 3s etc consistently with the style we play, we will lose.

(ii) They desperately miss a leader like Forrest

Posted On: Mar 2nd 2024, 9:58 PM #421908

(i):

2023-24

FG 47.8%
3PT 35.9%
FT 71.6%

2022-23

FG 46.6%
3PT 36.6%
FT 71.9%

Nearly the same but, as you mention…

(ii): This is why the 3PT / Game is slightly lower as well as FT% (although minor still a few points overall). Plus the leadership. His being gone is the main difference IMHO.

Thoughts:

While there is a difference the RPI difference is MUCH greater. AAC >>> CUSA.

Back to the top

If we win the AAC tournament and win at least one NCAA tournament game, I think that would be a really good season for us. We had to know a regression was coming after last yearís out of no where run. I agree that we are missing Forrest more than we thought we would right now. Next yearís team will also be remarkably different as most of our back court is out of eligibility. Gotta make it count while we can Go Owls!
Back to the top

My hope for a run in the conference tourney and maybe the Big tourney if we make it is our struggles have been on the road and we have been much better on neutral floors.†

But letís get through UNT on Wednesday first. As I donít have confidence going into Denton right now†
Back to the top

More on this later, but the only two scenarios where FAU and now #1 Seed USF play each other in the AAC Tournament would be if Owls fall to the #4 Seed (currently #2) setting up a potential semi-final or in the finals themselves. If #FAU wins out they lock #2.
Back to the top

Ideally, Memphis and USF will meet in the tourney because I'd hate to have to play both of them the way they look right now
Back to the top

It could go either way at this point…if we beat them they will likely be the 6 seed. We'll know a lot more after Wednesday and Thursday's games.
Back to the top

Hello, Owls.

Just finished watching UAB-Memphis – how crazy was that game! UAB shoots lights out and puts up 61 in the 1st half. And it's not like the Tigers didn't play. We put up 46 in the half. I really can't complain given that UAB was just not missing shots.

This Tiger won the 2nd half by 34. They closed down a 22 pt lead in 5:34 of game time.

With 1:26 left in the 1st it was UAB 61 - Mem 39 (-22).

15:42 2nd the Tigers took a 1 pt lead 67-66. (+1)

These past 4 games the Tigers have been playing like they should've been playing all season.

I know next Saturday's game is going to be TOUGH at your place. I'm just glad we seemed to have gotten in our right mental state.

Get the win at UNT and we'll both be on a high note coming in to the regular season finale.

Go Owls!

Go Tigers Go!
Back to the top

Insane comeback…

Honestly can't believe the swing.
Back to the top
Control functions: