Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Why were the 2022-23 Owls more successful compared to the 2023-24 Team?

Add topic

Everyone has their "opinion".

Personally like to base mine on facts backed by numbers. Quick stat hits as we close out the 2023-24 FAU schedule 👇

ANALYSIS: Increase in competition led to decrease in overall production, as the number show.

Ill be here all week… 🎙️

Go Owls 👌

Back to the top

Rick said

Everyone has their "opinion".

Personally like to base mine on facts backed by numbers. Quick stat hits as we close out the 2023-24 FAU schedule 👇

ANALYSIS: Increase in competition led to decrease in overall production, as the number show.

Ill be here all week… 🎙️

Go Owls 👌

Posted On: Mar 22nd 2024, 9:44 PM #422817

We lost 9 games and lost 6 of them within 4 points.  Yes the competition was better but Dusty failed to either find schemes to get players out of shooting slumps and continued to allow poor play.  

For example Greenlee scored 0 points in about 10 games and if he gave us 7 points we would have won.  greenlee, Boyd dropped their shooting averages and 3pt percentages by several points.  Dusty continued to start Greenlee even though his production was off until later on he started Gaffney more. As a coach you need to inspire and give critique to get a player going, Greenlee never got it going.  Boyd had some good games but some bad ones and Rosado after the injury has not been the same.

Fau was in every game they played, and Dusty got outcoached.  We were not the hunters,  we were the hunted.  Dusty was hoping teams would lay down and lose for us but they fought back and the regression was how we were ranked high and got unranked at the end.  

Another thing I feel our bench this season was thin,  we didn’t have depth.  We ran the same tired guys out there,  and it showed we needed fresh legs and scorers to disrupt and help win games.  The two Johnell Davis run up the gun like Jimmy butler and making dumb mistake costed us.  We should have beat Temple and should have won the American and would have had a better seeding.  Nope Johnell still starts and he was absolutely atrocious, a coach with a brain would bench him for that idiotic move and make him earn his spot.

If I am a big ten school of an Acc school I would not hire a one year wonder coach. 
Back to the top

We basically go with a four guard and one center lineup.

To me this kind of a line up requires us to be super efficient from the perimeter, having only one big man inside. Dusty did try Vlad and Lorient together at one time during the Northwestern game.

Last year during the tournament run we handled the ball well, made some of long twos and a number of threes to win those games.

That did not happen as often this year during the season or it happened too late in the game to recover. 

The stars did align for us last year, now we have to make a decision how we want to line up next year against the much bigger AAC opponents.

Just my take on things.
Back to the top

I agree with Rick and FAU fan. We had better competition and played in some tough road games that made it hard for the role players to step up. We were within a couple shots of winning every game we played. A made 3 or a few free throws can change the course of the game. Just a slight regression to the mean overall.  I thought maybe Martin and Davis would improve but it seemed like they were forcing it at times, and didn’t rise to the occasion yesterday. The 4 guard lineup really is predicated on knocking down shots and making free throws. Needless to say that didn’t happen at the worst possible time. 

My biggest critique of Dusty is he didn’t make any defensive adjustments early in the year. We got cooked in a few games this year and he seemed content with letting people have a career high against us.
Back to the top

Inconsistent intensity and focus and, despite saying the right things, never quite adjusting to being the hunted instead of the hunter; drop-off on defensive intensity, players not improving and in some cases, regressing from last year – so when certain players sat or struggled there seemed to be more of a drop off whereas last year it was next man up instead of overreliance on 2-3 players; speculating there may have been a missing "leader" (MF) on the court/in the locker room to settle these guys down when adversity struck, and frankly some baffling coaching decisions and lack of adjustments in tight situations.

In hindsight have to remember these are young men adjusting to a spotlight and expectations they never had, and I think it all may have been a bit overwhelming during such a grueling season in a new conference, evidenced by an on and off level of intensity and focus, whereas last year they seemed to be "on" almost at all times. That loose fun, together team we saw last year seemed to get frustrated and tight too many times.

Probably peaked too early after the AZ game. Also have to wonder whether some of the "chatter" came into play – guess we can speculate but will have a better idea soon enough.

In all, a fun season – although I can acknowledge a bit of a disappointment given expectations.
Back to the top

Thanks d-owl. You hit it on the head. I'm over critical  and too sarcastic to put the season in words. I keep forgetting the age of these kids. The effort these kids put in. The pressure  they are in. They did an amazing job.  Easy for me to coach from the couch. My questions on some of the decisions are not important. Overall proud of the way these kids put FAU in basketball conversations. I hope are just as successful next season.
Back to the top

One thing that came up all year was our lack of size.  You notice it when our guys go to the hoop, pick and rolls like what Northwestern did to us, and in some cases rebounding.  Injuries did not help.  Lastly, we turn the ball over a lot.  I think we need a traditional PG or someone who can run the offense.
Back to the top

FAU basketball made the NCAAM Tournament as an at large - that is an incredibly successful season!

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

Two things I see are 1) Davis came off the bench mostly last year giving him an edge and probably the best 6th man in the Country and 2) Coach May use the entire bench much more last year. Giving us fresher legs and less foul issues late in games.

And I think this showed perfectly in the last game this year, OT was a disaster!!

But still a very good year for the Owls. As always, GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Our bench play was so much stronger last year.

Boyd, Weatherspoon, Gaffney and Rosado were very consistent and very good last season - which would keep other teams full gas when they were on - and then we would throw in Martin/Goldin/Davis when other teams were getting tired and go on big runs
Back to the top
Control functions: