Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2011 NIT Game Thread: FAU vs Miami - 03/16/11 @ 7:30 PM

Add topic

Re: 2011 NIT Game Thread: FAU vs Miami - 03/16/11 @ 7:30 PM

FINAL:

85-62 UM

Owls conclude the 2010-11 season with a record of 21-11, 13-4 Sun Belt.

Gantt (17), Mavin (15), and Taylor (10) all in double figures for FAU.

Great season by the Owls!

Looking forward to next season (with Jarvis)

;D
Back to the top

Final: Miami 85 - FAU 62.

The Owls could not hit many threes, missed way to many FTs and gave their D was not stiff enough.

They got within six with a nice run midway through the second period - the FAU crowd and band went wild - but then let it slip away with sloppy play.

Miami showed its classlessness late in running up the score with breaks and several (maybe four or five?) jams against FAU subs and with seconds left to play. The end of this game makes one want to root against Miami for everything.
Back to the top

Some post game comments from Coach…

On the season:

"It was a great year, we have much to be grateful for and thankful for. And yet we've got a lot of work to do."

On Dennis Mavin:

"Dennis is our most athletic wing, he had a lot of lessons he had to learn during the year and sometimes it was very difficult for him to be on the bench. But in the end he started to do more and more of the things we've asked him to do…if we had a couple more guys like him tonight I think the score is a lot closer."

On Brett Royster:

"He's improved a lot, I wish we had him another year because there's so much more that he's going to need to learn. I think he'll get an opportunity somewhere in Europe to develop his skills further."

Back to the top

The story has been filed. Rick will post it shortly.

Many pics to come. The FAU fans and band really stepped it up tonight. Congrats to them.

That's it from Coral Gables.
Back to the top

BMarkey said

Final: Miami 85 - FAU 62.

Miami showed its classlessness late in running up the score with breaks and several (maybe four or five?) jams against FAU subs and with seconds left to play. The end of this game makes one want to root against Miami for everything.

Walty and I were talking about that at the end of the game…where I'm from, someone gets hurt for doing that with a 20pt lead. The miami coach didn't seem to mind so I guess that's where it comes from.

Dennis Mavin showed flashes of how freaking good he can be last night…the fastest first step on the team, he still seems out of control half the time but wow, once Jarvis gets that contained, he's going to be amazing!
Ray performed great as well, he plays so much bigger than he is, can't wait to have him for two more years.
We really missed having a true big man last night. Granted a 6'11'' 300lb center isn't that easy to come by (or contain for that matter) but we needed someone that could control him last night.

Malcom Grant is sick good! Ray played him so tight last night, great D, and the guy still lit it up. I don't know if Gary Payton could have done any better, the kid is very good.

I enjoyed the Miami Students chanting "Luke for Mayor" when Luther Campbell arrived and sat near them…I hope they exercise their rights and vote for that scumbag to replace their mayor…as if I needed more reasons to never go back to that awful city!  ;D
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

Dennis Mavin showed flashes of how freaking good he can be last night…the fastest first step on the team

I'd even go fastest first step in the league…….

Back to the top
Control functions: