Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2020 C-USA TOURNAMENT THREAD: FAU vs. ODU - First Round

Add topic

FAU Opens C-USA Tournament Against ODU

What: No. 9 Florida Atlantic (16-15, 8-10) vs. No. 8 Old Dominion (13-18, 9-9)

When: Wednesday, March 11th, @ 7:00 PM Eastern

Where: Ford Center at The Star

Series: The Monarchs own a 8-2 edge over the Owls, including taking both of this season's contests.

TV: None

Stream: ESPN+ *Fee

Radio: FoxSports 640

Live Stats: Here

ODU Team Site: Here

ODU at a Glance:

Offense - 68.6 PPG, 41% FG, 29% 3PT

Defense - 66.4 PPGA, 40% FGA, 33% 3PTA

Rebounding - 40.4 RPG Monarchs, 33.9 RPG Opponents

Notables

Old Dominion returns to the C-USA Tournament hoping to defend their 2019 title. Although their No. 8 seed is disappointing considering the Monarchs were selected to finish fourth in the C-USA Preseason Poll, ODU's 2-2 record in Bonus Play gives Head Coach Jeff Jones hope for another title push.

The Monarchs upended the Owls twice this year, 65-55 and 85-80, with the latter coming in a Bonus Play overtime thriller. Both contests were in Norfolk, where the Monarchs post 10-4 record, 7-2 against conference opponents.

In ODU's pair of victories over FAU, guard AJ Oliver drained 21 points in the win on January 25th before guard Malik Curry scored 29 points in the OT win in Bonus Play.

UAB downed the Monarchs in the regular season finale for both teams, 72-63. Curry and Oliver both drained a team-high 16 points in the losing effort.

Forward Aaron Carver was named to the 2020 C-USA All-Defensive on Monday thanks mostly to his rebounding ability. His 10.2 RPG paces this conference and is the 26th RPG in the nation. The senior also leads the team in defensive boards (7.35 PG) and blocks (19 total).

If there is a weakness on this ODU team, it has been their ability to win games away from home. Overall, ODU is 3-14 when playing outside of Norfolk. That includes 0-3 at a neutral court, and 2-7 when playing at their C-USA rivals.

FAU at a Glance:

Offense - 71.3 PPG, 43% FG, 32% 3PT

Defense - 69.9 PPGA, 44% FGA, 34% 3PTA

Rebounding - 36.8 RPG Owls, 35 RPG Opponents

Notables

It is now do-or-die time for FAU Basketball. The Owls have their ticket to the C-USA Tournament as the No. 9 seed, the very position that the league's head coaches predicted FAU to finish in the C-USA Preseason Poll.

Historically, conference tournaments have been unkind to the Owls. A win on Wednesday will be FAU's first non-play-in conference tournament victory since 2008.

Moreover, it would also mark the first neutral site conference tournament win since coming away victorious in the 2002 Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament Championship via a 76-75 thriller over Georgia State. That 2002 conference tournament title gave the Owls their lone NCAA Tournament bid.

This will be the second time the Owls and Monarchs have faced each other in the conference tournament. Previously, ODU ended FAU's 2016 season with a decisive 72-46 victory in Birmingham. The Owls entered that tournament after winning their play-in game over UTSA before their defeat at the hands of the eventual 2016 C-USA Tournament runner-ups.

Back now in 2020, the Owls hope the third time is the charm against ODU after falling in their previous two battles: 65-55 and 85-80 OT. Forward Jailyn Ingram was FAU's points leader in both losses, scoring 16 and 19 points, respectively.

In their regular season finale, the Owls succumbed to Marshall 94-82. Yet again, Ingram led the team in scoring with 19 points.

The loss to Marshall was FAU's second straight in which the Owls scored 80+ points in a losing effort. Before that two game slump, the Owls were 9-0 when hitting the 80 point plateau. Moreover, those very losses forced FAU to finish with a 2-2 Bonus Play record.

Guard Cornelius "Scuta" Taylor continues to lead the Owls in scoring with 11.8 PPG. It should be a surprise to nobody that Ingram is not far behind at 11.7 PPG.

Forward Karlis Silins joins guards Richardson Maitre and Michael Forrest as the Owls' top three sharp shooters from beyond the arc. The three shoot 42.5%, 39%, and 38.5% respectively.

Opening Line: FAU +2

Additional Links:

2019-2020 FAU Basketball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest

2019-2020 FAU Basketball Season Discussion Thread - FAU Owl's Nest

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

We're moments away from the opening game of the 2020 C-USA Tournament!

Back to the top

Good start early for the Owls.

Back to the top

FAU is DRAINING threes! Owls lead the defending champions 17-10.

Back to the top

What is going on!? ODU converts nine straight while FAU goes 2-11.

Back to the top

Halftime. We're tied at 32.

I don't understand how this team plays so poorly in the final moments of the first half. It's been a consistent issue all season.

Back to the top

The halftime stats show it's Ingram and Maitre vs. ODU inability to miss a shot nor a rebound.

Back to the top

We're back and forth in Frisco.

Back to the top

Love this movement to find an open shot along the three-point arc. ODU keeps taking the lead, and FAU continues to respond.

Back to the top

INGRAM PUTS FAU AHEAD!!

Back to the top
Control functions: