Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

SERIES THREAD: MTSU @ FAU - March, 4 & 5, 2021

Add topic

FAU Hoops Close Regular Season vs. MTSU

What: Middle Tennessee (5-15, 3-11) vs. Florida Atlantic (10-9, 5-5)

When: Thursday, March 4, @ 6:00 PM
           Friday, March 5, @ 6:00 PM

Where: Abessinio Court at FAU Arena

Series: The Blue Raiders own a 19-6 all-time record over the Owls. FAU can take solace in winning the previous two meetings.

MTSU Team Site: Here

TV: None

Stream: LiveCUSA on Facebook *Subscription Required

Radio: FoxSports 640

Live Stats: Here

MTSU at a Glance:

Offense - 63.3 PPG, 39.7% FG, 33.3% 3PT

Defense - 70.4 PPGA, 46.9% FGA, 30.7% 3PTA

Rebounding - 34 RPG Blue Raiders, 35.3 RPG Opponents

Notables

Middle Tennessee Head Coach Nick McDevitt is amidst the second year of a long-term rebuild of the Blue Raiders basketball program. In his first season in Murfreesboro, McDevitt's Blue Raiders finished with a 8-23 (4-14) record.

The Blue Raiders are amidst a four game losing streak after sweeping an inconsistent Charlotte program in mid-February.

Last time out, MTSU shot 33% from the field in a horrid shooting day that saw them getting swept by Old Dominion. The Blue Raiders succumbed to the improving ODU team, losing 73-60.

MTSU's leading scorer, guard Dontrell Shuler, is out for the remainder of the season due to injury. Now, guard Jordan Davis leads the team in scoring with 11.4 PPG. He's the only active Blue Raiders averaging double digits.

FAU at a Glance:

Offense - 79.4 PPG, 46.7% FG, 38% 3PT

Defense - 67.8 PPGA, 42.4% FGA, 35.8% 3PTA

Rebounding - 40.4 RPG Owls, 32 RPG Opponents

Notables

The Owls are getting hot at the right time, coming off a two-game sweep against Southern Miss on the road. Neither of those wins were easy as the Golden Eagles scratched their way back into both contests. Still, Dusty May's squad turned it on when it was needed the most.

The sweep over USM snapped a four-game losing streak for the Owls. During that time, FAU saw three series cancelled due to issues with COVID-19.

Three Owls average more that ten points per game. Forward Jailyn Ingram paces the team with 13.4 PPG and 5.8 rebounds per game. Guards Michael Forrest and BJ Greenlee are giving chase with 11.8 and 10.3 PPG, respectively.

FAU will face MTSU after originally scheduled to face the Blue Raiders in the opening series of the C-USA slate. Due to COVID-19 issues within the MTSU program, the series was rescheduled to this week.

This will be the last regular season matchup for FAU before the Owls head to Texas for the C-USA Tournament next week.

Latest Line: FAU -8

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

We have a shot at talking to Head Coach Dusty May before the series. Stay tuned for updates with our conversation with the Owls' skipper.

Back to the top

Coach May said that the program is at a point where they need to playing their best basketball. The goal is to make the NCAA Tournament

Back to the top

Coach said last week, his team played really well for the majority of spans of the series, for 30-35 minutes at games. May would like to see play in those other 5010 minutes improve, especially on the charity stripe.

Back to the top

May was impressed with his team's ability to win 50-50 balls against USM. Rebounds, loose balls, etc… He wants to see that carry over against MTSU in order to give his squad a real shot to shock some teams in the conference tournament.

Back to the top

Coach May said he doubts that Jailyn Ingram will start this weekend. This is because the program has a self-imposed rule where if you don't practice throughout the week, you don't start. That was the case last week while JI came back from injury, and will be the case again for this series as he still isn't back to 100% to regular practice.

This is more of a safety measure to protect their star man before the tournament in Frisco. "That's the ultimate goal, to win four games in four days and find a way into the NCAA Tournament," Coach May said as he closed the presser.

Back to the top

As we mentioned yesterday, no JI In the starting five tonight. But expect him to find his way to the court soon enough.

Back to the top

Middle are trying their best to apply an aggressive defense against the high scoring Owls.

Silins score his sixth with this layup, but it's true freshman Nicholas Boyd who leads all scorers with seven.

Back to the top

Not many teams you can shoot 1-of-9 from 3 PT and be leading by double-digits!

:Laughing:
Back to the top

Owls really struggled when there was 7 to 4 minutes remaining in the half. JI drained this beauty of a jumper to end the drought, putting the Owls ahead by double digits again.

Back to the top
Control functions: