Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

WEEKEND THREAD: FAU @ Old Dominion - January 8 & 9, 2021

Add topic

FAU Returns to Virginia to face a Strong ODU

What: Florida Atlantic (5-4) vs. Old Dominion (5-3, 1-1)

When: Friday, January 8, @ 7 PM Eastern
           Saturday, January 9, @ 7 PM Eastern

Where: Chartway Arena

Series: The Monarchs own a 9-3 advantage over the Owls, although two FAU victories have come with Dusty May at the helm.

ODU Team Site: Here

TV: None

Stream: ESPN+

Radio: FoxSports 640

Live Stats: Here

ODU at a Glance:

Offense - 71 PPG, 46% FG, 28% 3PT

Defense - 71.6 PPGA, 43% FGA, 36% 3PTA

Rebounding - 37 RPG Monarchs, 35.9 RPG Opponents

Notables

Old Dominion was pegged to finish fifth in C-USA in the conference's preseason poll after their previous regular season ended in eighth.

The Monarchs split their series with Florida International last weekend. The Panthers soundly won Friday's game 82-67 before ODU finished the set with a gritty 71-66 win. Guard Malik Curry had a season-high 27 points in Saturday's victory.

Transferring from Palm Beach State College before the 2019 season, Curry currently leads the team with 17.1 PPG. He has yet to have a single-digit outing this season.

ODU is traditionally known for their stout defense, but they have given up 75 points on four occasions, three of which were loses.

FAU at a Glance

Offense - 84.9 PPG, 48% FG, 39% 3PT

Defense - 65.3 PPGA, 42% FGA, 36% 3PTA

Rebounding - 41.1 RPG Owls, 32.7 RPG Opponents

Notables

FAU hopes to rebound from their woeful 79-70 effort against James Madison on Tuesday. The lone bright spot was a 20 point outing from star forward Jailyn Ingram and guard Kenan Blackshear's impressive second half performance.

Jailyn Ingram leads the team in scoring and rebounding with 15.4 PPG and 6.0 RPG, respectively. Guard BJ Greenlee is the only other Owl averaging double-digits despite a zero point effort against JMU.

This series will open C-USA play for the Owls after a COVID-19 outbreak at Middle Tennessee forced that series to be scrapped.

Latest Line: FAU +8.5

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Let’s take 1!
Back to the top

ODU is a shell of them former selves for the last two seasons, but we are still near DD Dogs for a reason…

Nonetheless, isn't it about time something went our way?

Go Owls!
Back to the top

It's worth noting that ODU was the last CUSA team that the Owls beat. First Round of the conference tournament, March 12, 2020: FAU won 66-56 thanks to a season-high 22 points from JI. The tournament was cancelled the next day.

Back to the top

It's showtime! The Owls are FINALLY going to start conference play.

Back to the top

Ingram and Blackshear are playing out of their minds right now/

Back to the top

Words cannot justify just how good JI is when he is on!

Back to the top

ODU is now so petrified of JI, they're swarming to him whenever he holds the rock. That's a massive mistake if they remembered how he's such an athletic passer. He kicks the ball out before it eventually finds Mike Forrest, who hits his second FG in a row after a slow start.

Back to the top

JI is on pace to shatter his career points record originally set in 2018 vs. BCU.

Back to the top

Owls are starting to slow down offensively. They've only made one free throw this half and have yet to convert a three/

Back to the top
Control functions: