Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Receives $6 Million Gift from The GEO Group to Name Football Stadium

Add topic

Re: FAU Receives $6 Million Gift from The GEO Group to Name Football Stadium

FAU Receives $6 Million Gift from The GEO Group to Name Football Stadium

I played golf on Monday with a guy from Maryland, sports fan too, he asked me about my college, when I told him FAU he first asked about Isiah Thomas…after we got past that I told him our most recent newsworthy tidbit was the Geo thing…he asked more about it, and then I asked him if he had heard anything about it, ya know, big bad prison corp sponsoring Owlcatraz, all that stuff…nope.

There are a couple of people (seriously, like 14) that are upset and making noise. No one, literally no one outside of them knows or even cares about this except the FAU die hards.
Back to the top

Like I said, it is SUCH AN IMPORTANT issue to them that we don't see 1000's, 100's or even dozens camped out on the BOCA RATON HQ of the GeoGroup do we? NEVER EVER HEARD OF THEM (GeoGroup or protestors) BEFORE THIS GIFT FROM AN FAU ALUM.

Dr. Saunder's, I know you will never do this but I hope you at least get a private laugh from it, but PLEASE TELL THE PROTESTORS TO PISS OFF, they (PROTESTORS) are the hypocrites in my eye!
Back to the top

Cubs have been eliminated from the playoffs.
Back to the top

dcoker309 said

Cubs have been eliminated from the playoffs.

:D :D :D
Back to the top

According to the Sunshine News:

Former FAU athletic director Craig Angelos, who ironically was fired last year for lack of fundraising, says the GEO Group sponsorship loss is impactful because of the university's budget concerns.

"The way I see it, at the end of the day, the university is severely underfunded," he said by email to Sunshine State News. "The athletic department is no different. We had to make a lot of sacrifices and mortgage the athletic department to make the stadium a reality. I think the whole university benefits by having it on campus but it cannot be a drain on the university’s budget."

Angelos says he had a superior stadium-rights deal on the table, before the first football game was ever played, involving one of South Florida's largest car dealership chains. That arrangement could have put $1 million of annual advertising money and straight-up sponsor gifts into the program each year for six years. But, he says, the higher-ups in the school's chain of command wanted to hold off for a better deal with fast-food chain Chick-fil-A or, indeed, the GEO Group. After being put on hold, the automotive chain's interest cooled, and FAU ultimately landed GEO, whose chairman and CEO is an FAU alumn and former chairman of the university's board of trustees.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Former FAU athletic director Craig Angelos, who ironically was fired last year for lack of fundraising, says the GEO Group sponsorship loss is impactful because of the university's budget concerns.

"The way I see it, at the end of the day, the university is severely underfunded," he said by email to Sunshine State News. "The athletic department is no different. We had to make a lot of sacrifices and mortgage the athletic department to make the stadium a reality. I think the whole university benefits by having it on campus but it cannot be a drain on the university’s budget."

Angelos says he had a superior stadium-rights deal on the table, before the first football game was ever played, involving one of South Florida's largest car dealership chains. That arrangement could have put $1 million of annual advertising money and straight-up sponsor gifts into the program each year for six years. But, he says, the higher-ups in the school's chain of command wanted to hold off for a better deal with fast-food chain Chick-fil-A or, indeed, the GEO Group. After being put on hold, the automotive chain's interest cooled, and FAU ultimately landed GEO, whose chairman and CEO is an FAU alumn and former chairman of the university's board of trustees.

I was told the same thing….additionally, I was told $20 mil deal with GEO 2 years ago.  I heard that the auto dealership didn't want there name on the stadium (i.e. name it Schnellenberger Stadium); somehow the BOT blew it…
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Seems like we are dealing with "CRONYISM". It might be awhile before FAU can recover from this financial blow. Seems like the BOT burned some bridges for Geo Group and put FAU on a path to financial crisis. If the dealership indeed wanted naming rights but in honor Schnellenberger, then the  BOT is solely to blame and needs to be replaced for this entire fiasco.
Back to the top

OWLNATION said

Owl2Doc said

Seems like we are dealing with "CRONYISM". It might be awhile before FAU can recover from this financial blow. Seems like the BOT burned some bridges for Geo Group and put FAU on a path to financial crisis. If the dealership indeed wanted naming rights but in honor Schnellenberger, then the  BOT is solely to blame and needs to be replaced for this entire fiasco.

Cronyism indeed…I couldn't believe the story I was told in regards to that.  We have a lonnnnnng way to go and short time to get there as they say in Smokey and the Bandit!
Back to the top

This has got to be a flippin' joke…. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!?!?!?!?!?!?

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

San Jose St. gets stadium $$$

San Jose State announces new stadium naming rights deal – CollegeFootballTalk

And from a bank headquartered in Peoria, IL!!! $580K per year - not bad.

Whats up with our stadium Mr. Chun??? Newer (BY FAR) and MUCH BETTER than "Spartan Stadium"!!
Back to the top
Control functions: