Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Receives $6 Million Gift from The GEO Group to Name Football Stadium

Add topic

Re: FAU Receives $6 Million Gift from The GEO Group to Name Football Stadium

walty12 said

fauowls44 said

SigEp77 said

fauowls44 said

We aren't talking about Enron destroying people's life savings….we are talking about PRISONERS claiming poor treatment.

This game of responsibility cuts both ways.  Sure Enron was crooked, no doubt.  Now, that life savings that got lost, do the employees and shareholders not bear any accountability or responsibility for not being diversified outside of their own company?  Yes, they do.  Just as "criminals" make their choices.

It's a bit of a stretch to compare people screwed over by criminals to the criminals themselves.  The people who lost life savings to Enron choose to trust their employer wasn't running a giant scam…not an unreasonable expectation.  Not exactly the same kind of choice a thief/rapist/murderer/drug dealer/gang member is making.

Haha, a bit of a stretch?

That girl got raped!  Her fault too, she was walking in a dark area.  Pretty much the reasoning there.

I worked for a consulting firm that handled class action lawsuits for consumer and securities fraud.  Let me ask you…who would you want to sponser the stadium?

Bank of America???

AIG???

Any Pharmacuetical Company???

Fannie Mae?

I promise you I can show you where all of these companies have done wrong to consumers.  Company's like GlaxoSmithKline grossly over charging desperate families for cancer drugs or Bank Of America's subrime lending practices (not to name all the other banks).

Bottom line, its very hard to find companies that dont have negative press.

By "bit of a stretch", I was being a "bit sarcastic".  It was a ridiculous comparison.  All companies exist for one reason: to make money.  As a result, sometimes they do some "unkind" things.  Sometimes they get away with it and sometimes they end up having to pay.  I don't like it either, but that's reality.

Like you said, if you are only looking for a company that comes with zero negative press to name the stadium, it would have remained FAU Stadium until the end of time.  So there will be jokes for a day or two….some unknown activist group starts a petition on Facebook…Big deal.  By the end of the week, this won't be a story anymore and FAU will still have $6 million. 
Back to the top

And as said, we DO have a Criminal Justice major don't we, and we want to start a Law School don't we, and is the prison system (public or private) not the end destination required of those found guilty of our nations criminal code?

I am sorry that bad things hapen in prison - they jhave and always will - but it is not supposed to be a hotel or resort. And sadly, the convicted or admitted criminals in them are better off than the innocent homeless - at least they have a roof over their heads, three meals a day and do have tv and workout equipment. The homeless have NONE of the above!

Welcome to Owlcatraz CUSA foes! I personally think opposing teams and their fans will get a kick out of it.
Back to the top

"Big Shocker" A group called Dream Activist started a petition to have FAU remove GEO group from the Stadium. Less than 24 hours after the deal was made. Article in the Sun sentinel which i may bypass now, because they want me to pay for reading online.
Back to the top

Typical,  FAU finally gets a stadium sponsor and it starts a sh*t storm of controversy.

So now every home game will feature protesters….Maybe we can get them to buy tickets.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

Owlcatraz is looking pretty official. Also hearing the student section to be dubbed "The Cell block". LOL

GO OWLS!!!
Back to the top

just a side thought…
OWLcatraz sounds really cool, (as does the "Cell Block" student section) I love it,
but what happens when the GEO sponsorship expires…
Do we keep the OWLcatraz moniker forever?
Do we change it everytime we get a new sponsor?

Obviously we are very new at these tradition things, but I would think we want an name "for life"
- no pun intended!
Back to the top

If you want to keep OWLcatraz, have some people put in for a trademark for that name. lol.
Back to the top

We're getting killed in the press about this - I had no idea this would become such a big thing. Several of my friends have come to me demanding an explanation for this "embarrassing move" and it's just like, "Come on guys, we're young and need the money."

NCowl said

just a side thought…
OWLcatraz sounds really cool, (as does the "Cell Block" student section)

No no no no no no. Nothing but no's to that idea.

We should do absolutely nothing official on this manner outside of casually referring to the stadium as Owlcatraz as a tongue-in-cheek remark.

USMCOWL said

If you want to keep OWLcatraz, have some people put in for a trademark for that name. lol.

Some douche already took the Twitter name to bash FAU. Whatever.
Back to the top

It will all die down and a few months from now no one will remember what all the hoopla was about.

I found this line telling from a PBP article.

The GEO Group stands to benefit simply by providing educational and scholarship opportunities at FAU, said Pablo Paez, vice president of corporate relations of the firm. He said that because GEO employs those in fields ranging from criminal justice to nursing and social work, the gift will increase awareness of GEO’s employment opportunities for FAU alumni.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

It will all die down and a few months from now no one will remember what all the hoopla was about.

I found this line telling from a PBP article.

The GEO Group stands to benefit simply by providing educational and scholarship opportunities at FAU, said Pablo Paez, vice president of corporate relations of the firm. He said that because GEO employs those in fields ranging from criminal justice to nursing and social work, the gift will increase awareness of GEO’s employment opportunities for FAU alumni.

Pablo, also an FAU alumni and former student body president. Hootin' he's also an AEPi. He was my suitemate his freshman year, he's a good guy

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top
Control functions: