Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Stadium: 2010?

Add topic

Re: FAU Stadium: 2010?

FAU Stadium: 2010?

No, part of this – a BIG part of this – IS FAU's fault.  How many years did they waste on that crazy domed stadium idea?  They farted around with that for what, four or five years?  Without raising a dime.
Back to the top

Sorry, it is FAU's fault. Look at flippin FIU and their stadium.  I got over the excuses years ago. When I was at FAU in 2001 they were saying they may have a stadium in 2004. NOW ITS 2009! I went to every fau home game for the first 5 years.  Starting last year I decided I will not go to a home game until they have an on-campus stadium. Call me fair weathered or whatever you want, but enough is enough. Angelos and Brogan are politicians with mouths ten times bigger then their actions. And can you blame FAU akumni for not donating? Why donate money to go sit at lockhart. But I do look forward to my next fau home game that I attend with my season tickets at the on campus stadium's inaugural game in 2018.
Back to the top

sirwgula said

Sorry, it is FAU's fault. Look at flippin FIU and their stadium.  I got over the excuses years ago. When I was at FAU in 2001 they were saying they may have a stadium in 2004. NOW ITS 2009! I went to every fau home game for the first 5 years.  Starting last year I decided I will not go to a home game until they have an on-campus stadium. Call me fair weathered or whatever you want, but enough is enough. Angelos and Brogan are politicians with mouths ten times bigger then their actions. And can you blame FAU akumni for not donating? Why donate money to go sit at lockhart. But I do look forward to my next fau home game that I attend with my season tickets at the on campus stadium's inaugural game in 2018.

Hahahaha…exactly!
Back to the top

I can agree that the dome stadium may have set everything back a year. But definitely not four or five.

Although, the original idea was for retail housing, a dome stadium with movable bleaches for basketball and football, and then eventually a convocation center just for basketball.

And it's not just FAU athletics that alumni can donate too. There's the Owl Club, theater, other programs on campus as well (financial aid for example).

I can sense your frustration sirwgula, but jumping ship is not the way to show support whatsoever.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

I can agree that the dome stadium may have set everything back a year. But definitely not four or five.

Although, the original idea was for retail housing, a dome stadium with movable bleaches for basketball and football, and then eventually a convocation center just for basketball.

Whatever the original idea was, it was delusions of grandeur from the start.  Talk about shooting for the moon – it was an outrageous idea of a project for a school with a fledgling football program and very little track record in major college athletics.

And it certainly did set the stadium back several years.  If they had focused from the outset on the current project, or something like it, this could have been done maybe 2-3 years ago when the economy was good and investment money was plentiful.  Now, because of all the foot-dragging, we find ourselves trying to raise money during the worst recession in a generation.
Back to the top

sirwgula said

Starting last year I decided I will not go to a home game until they have an on-campus stadium. Call me fair weathered or whatever you want, but enough is enough.

I'm with Smitty on this one.  I'm pissed about it, too, but boycotting sends the wrong message to everyone – students, administrators, investors, the community, certainly the media.  Alumni need to continue to show support.
Back to the top

"The infrastructure is underway: the Alumni center across the street, the student recreation center, that mall going up on the south side is taking shape the way we anticipated, but the majority of the stuff we have been planning is going on the north side of the street, so everything is going to fall into place."

What mall is he refering to?…the breezeway?
Back to the top

I think both 'sides' are right to a degree.  We should have pursued a simpler stadium earlier, when financing was easier….but we didn't and the problems that are now happening are out of the control of the University.

That being said, for all those angry that dirt isn't moving….the timeline currently out there -

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://www.fau.edu/facilities/uavp/programs-folder/FAU_STADIUM_PROGRAM_DOCUMENT_FIN_fr_Sign_2.14.08_-_Amended_9.08.pdf (Page 30)

According to this timeline they are still making construction documents, the most tedious part for the architects to do…and they will only be 33% done with those by March 1st.  Construction is set to begin on the 21st of June….so we still have some waiting before we see dirt flying.  They have final completion on 8 AUG 2010, a construction time of 15 months.  UCF Stadium took 16 months and has 15,000 more seats….so ours could get done faster than 15 months.

So that leaves about 33 days before our opener against Michigan State (Sept 11).  That game might not happen at FAU Stadium….but if we had a conference away game for September 18 or a bye week then I think the Stadium could be ready by October 9th or 16th.

Point is, aside from financing, which I think will fall into place one way or another, we are on track.  The architects are doing their thing right now and expect dirt to begin flying in June for a completion date in 2010….just not necessarily in time for Mich State.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

sirwgula said

Starting last year I decided I will not go to a home game until they have an on-campus stadium. Call me fair weathered or whatever you want, but enough is enough.

Respectfully, what exactly does this accomplish?
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

sirwgula said

Respectfully, what exactly does this accomplish?

I wouldn't call you a fan at all.
Back to the top
Control functions: