Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Stadium: 2010?

Add topic

Re: FAU Stadium: 2010?

OWLumnis said

Lm77 said

Here is the latest on 2010:

Question from Ryan
How's the new stadium process going?

Response from Athletics Director Craig Angelos
Dear Ryan:
The progress on the stadium continues to be a topic of discussion. There have been numerous articles written in the newspapers about it. Let me summarize by saying that in my opinion the stadium is still on track to be built by 2010. I liken the example to a train in that it is moving quickly towards the finish line of its destination of 2010. We have hired architects and construction companies and continue to plan accordingly but do need the financing piece to drop into play in order for this engine to continue to roar down the tracks at its current pace. If we cannot get the financing together then the train will slow up and it won't arrive at its destination until a later time. We are still hoping to sign a development deal where we outsource the 124 beds of housing as far as the Innovative Village to a private developer for an up-front cash payment, as well as continuing to find an organization willing to name the stadium, and thirdly, continue on with our philanthropy. If we can get these three pieces to fall into place, then we will stay on track for the 2010 opening.

Craig Angelos

Florida Atlantic Owls Official Athletic Site - Athletics

Basically, we need someone to name the stadium AND a developer for some of the residences in the Innovation Village. To me, it seems that 2010 is just not going to happen. The administration should consider a temporary stadium for 2009 and 2010 and have the permanent home ready for 2011, if that timing can be guaranteed (and the decade-old stadium question can finally be settled).

Philanthropy is also mentioned, but would you buy a ticket on a train with no guarantee it will ever leave the station?

I think given the current economic situation, FAU should consider reducing the $20million for naming rights to $10million. Granted I do not know the terms of the naming rights deal ($20million for x# of years), but by sell the naming rights at a reduced rate with an option to re-sell after x# years is probably the best way to go for immediate results. The reduced rate would offer an incentive for companies to purchase the rights, as a steal for them, and after we get out of this recession, FAU can re-sell those rights. Stadiums do this all the time. Ex: The Florida Panthers (NHL) have played at the same arena for past 12 years, but in those 12 years, the arena has had three different companies own the naming rights. Same with the Miami Dolphins.

I still think HOOTERS should buy the naming rights to the stadium.

I totally agree with everybody here and I think FAU should be starting to adapt and change the strategy for the stadium.
20K seats sounds reasonable for a small program that plays in the sunbelt with some recent success. The fan base at FAU is not the largest either and having a 20K seat stadium guarantees MAYBE a sold out event for few years. FAU just needs a place to call home on the Boca campus, a place that helps with recruiting and the fan base. I personally do not see this economy getting better soon. I agree with lowering the naming rights and if you add a 20K stadium budget, that maybe could attract someone. I don't see FAU moving soon to a better conference until FAU starts with the stadium and more titles, so for that reason I suggest FAU to re-think its strategy.
One step at a time and try not to eat more than you can chew.
20K + 10 million naming rights is more reasonable in this economy.
Back to the top

AlexFAU06 said

I totally agree with everybody here and I think FAU should be starting to adapt and change the strategy for the stadium. 20K seats sounds reasonable for a small program that plays in the sunbelt with some recent success….
20K + 10 million naming rights is more reasonable in this economy.

I thought Bytor/Florida_Owl talked to Angelos at a basketball game and they said they had two parties interested in $10m for 10 years. So they're already considering that.

I'd like to know how much money we save by going the 20k route over 30k. Right now they don't have enough money either way, from the sounds of it. If they get say $10m and that's enough for a loan for either 20k or 30k, I don't think they'll go with 20k just to ensure sell-outs. Even if our fanbase hasn't supported consistent 20k sell-outs to suggest a 30k seater would be a better idea, it's definitely better to have a larger facility than a smalller one for recruiting, scheduling, etc.
Back to the top

I think 25,000 - 30,000 is a reasonable number.

Right now the name of the game is cost effectiveness. If that means scaling some things back it needs to be done.

1) Start with 20,000 and plan on adding 5,000 - 10,000 within four years of the stadium opening.

2) Limit the number of high dollar suites. Sure they can bring in more money, but the also cost money and realistically the program does not have the support to warrant a high number of luxury suites.

These are two ways to save money and maybe get this thing off the ground.

I still don't see a temporary stadium as an option. Throw $3+ million at a temporary stadium for what? That is lost money that could be going directly to the permanent stadium.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

I think 25,000 - 30,000 is a reasonable number.

Right now the name of the game is cost effectiveness. If that means scaling some things back it needs to be done.

1) Start with 20,000 and plan on adding 5,000 - 10,000 within four years of the stadium opening.

2) Limit the number of high dollar suites. Sure they can bring in more money, but the also cost money and realistically the program does not have the support to warrant a high number of luxury suites.

These are two ways to save money and maybe get this thing off the ground.

I still don't see a temporary stadium as an option. Throw $3+ million at a temporary stadium for what? That is lost money that could be going directly to the permanent stadium.

GO OWLS!!!

I think you are right about the temp stadium. That money instead should go for the actual stadium.
The 20K seats are the best option for now. New additions can be implemented in the future like 10K more seats in 4 years when the football program is more successful, more recognized nation wide and FAU reaches 30K students or more plus more fans.
Back to the top
Control functions: