Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Stadium: 2010?

Add topic

Re: FAU Stadium: 2010?

FAU Stadium: 2010?

b_rider72 said

Florida_Owl said

sirwgula said

Starting last year I decided I will not go to a home game until they have an on-campus stadium. Call me fair weathered or whatever you want, but enough is enough.

Respectfully, what exactly does this accomplish?

I wouldn't call you a fan at all.

If everyone did that there would never be a stadium.  Bad idea through and through.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

I think both 'sides' are right to a degree.  We should have pursued a simpler stadium earlier, when financing was easier….but we didn't and the problems that are now happening are out of the control of the University.

That being said, for all those angry that dirt isn't moving….the timeline currently out there -
http://www.fau.edu/facilities/uavp/programs-folder/FAU_STADIUM_PROGRAM_DOCUMENT_FIN_fr_Sign_2.14.08_-_Amended_9.08.pdf (Page 30)

According to this timeline they are still making construction documents, the most tedious part for the architects to do…and they will only be 33% done with those by March 1st.  Construction is set to begin on the 21st of June….so we still have some waiting before we see dirt flying.  They have final completion on 8 AUG 2010, a construction time of 15 months.  UCF Stadium took 16 months and has 15,000 more seats….so ours could get done faster than 15 months.

So that leaves about 33 days before our opener against Michigan State (Sept 11).  That game might not happen at FAU Stadium….but if we had a conference away game for September 18 or a bye week then I think the Stadium could be ready by October 9th or 16th.

Point is, aside from financing, which I think will fall into place one way or another, we are on track.  The architects are doing their thing right now and expect dirt to begin flying in June for a completion date in 2010….just not necessarily in time for Mich State.

I follow all these documents as well. As much as I'd like to hold them to those start times, not a single recent project (Rec Center, Alumni Center, Innovation Village Apts, etc) has started on time.

IF they are correct… summer is great time to start building the stadium (from the perspective of students who would be displaced by the parking, construction, etc)

Obviously the sooner the better and I hope to see something when I get back from Spring Break.
Back to the top

RhodeIslandOwl said

"The infrastructure is underway: the Alumni center across the street, the student recreation center, that mall going up on the south side is taking shape the way we anticipated, but the majority of the stuff we have been planning is going on the north side of the street, so everything is going to fall into place."

What mall is he refering to?…the breezeway?

Meaning the Alumni center and the Rec center.
Back to the top

b_rider72 said

Florida_Owl said

sirwgula said

Starting last year I decided I will not go to a home game until they have an on-campus stadium. Call me fair weathered or whatever you want, but enough is enough.

see… to everything in life, there is a correct way to do something (i.e. Florida Owl's response) and a disgusting way to do something (i.e. your response)

get off your soap box and stop passing judgment, man

Florida Owl is correct… it doesn't accomplish anything… but to take away his title as "fan" is very judgmental… according to your definition of "fan" then, one must have to go to EVERY SINGLE home game… do YOU fit that definition?

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

<br>The one and only, world famous checklist signature is back!
Back to the top

owl09 said

b_rider72 said

Florida_Owl said

sirwgula said

see… to everything in life, there is a correct way to do something (i.e. Florida Owl's response) and a disgusting way to do something (i.e. your response)

Florida Owl is correct… it doesn't accomplish anything… but to take away his title as "fan" is very judgmental… according to your definition of "fan" then, one must have to go to EVERY SINGLE home game… do YOU fit that definition?

Well, Sirwgula apparently did not care if was called a fair weathered or not, but one is for sure that his actions do not help. If he is trying to prove a point, I think he is wasting his time.
Just go out and support your team and your school. Don't you agree that the more fans the better for potential donors to fund our football stadium?
I don't care if he gets called a real fan or not, and don't think that you have to be at every single game to be called a REAL FAN.

Only one thing I have to say and it is that you as a FAN need to show support if you want your team to be recognized or in this case to have a football stadium. It is not our fault that the country is having a bad economy, but we got to be there. Every little positive action helps to move this thing forward, and we all can do it.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

FAU is to blame SOLELY because they did not have a very good action plan to make a OCS happen. Oh they had grand plans and ideas, but no one took the bull by the horns and made it happen.

FIU started thier program AFTER ours and has gotten thier staidum 2 years earlier then ours is even supposed to be open. I know they had an exisiting and really just had to do a massive upgrade but still.  >:(

NO one saw the urgency to make it happen untill it was too late and the economy took a dump.

We are now reaping what was sowed.  How many classes have come and gone with the promise of "soon you will be playing in a home stadium!" Too many to count.

Pull the trigger, get the development deal done, ( I know you lose potential revenue later, THIS is the price the university has to pay for its lack of foresight) and build the sucker.

We can no longer afford to wait IMHO.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

FIU already had a stadium on campus. They just refurbished it. High school teams play there. So in all fairness, FIU head a head start for the on-campus stadium. And even though you mentioned it, I think we can't downplay the point that they already had a structure there.

If we put $5 million in to Lockhart, it would look like FIU's stadium, IMO.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

i completely agree with owlfamily

smitty… in my opinion, you are dead wrong, sorry… no 2 ways around it… $5 million to lockhart wouldn't be enough to make it look good enough for a division II school… and it's STILL 15 miles from campus

Back to the top

owl09 said

b_rider72 said

Florida_Owl said

sirwgula said

I would never criticize someone of doing something I do myself, I try to live life free of hypocrisy. So to answer your question, yes I do go to every home game.  I realize everyone's definition on "fan" will be different and thats ok with me, but in my definition of fan (especially of college sports) one is not a fan when one can attend games but simply chooses not to.  So if my response was disgusting to you then so be it, but I would point out that in your response to mine you were being judgmental of me. And no, a person does not have to go to every home game to be called a fan.
Back to the top

i was pretty harsh… i apologize

my point was this: we're all FAU fans… those of us who go to every single game, good for us… those who don't but find other ways to support the program, good for them…

i just don't think this is any point in our programs time when fans can turn against each other…

Back to the top
Control functions: