Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Stadium: 2010?

Add topic

Re: FAU Stadium: 2010?

owlcoholic said

We should also take advantage of the economic downturn while material and labor is cheaper and more readily available.

Good point, we coud tell people that this will create jobs for construction workers, electricians, etc and it will create jobs when the stadium opens for vendors and stuff like that. BAM, there's 20 million from this bailout right there!..if only it were that easy
Back to the top

Please stop speaking about what FIU did, it is clear that you do not know how the project was completed.  To say we upgraded our stadium is incorrect, a stadium was there (a 7,000 seat stadium which when FIU used it was increased to 15K by adding temporary seats), that stadium was destroyed, and a NEW stadium was put in its footprint.  There are ofcourse the east sideline seats that are still there from the old stadium, these too will be destroyed to enclose the stadium by 2010.  Thus far, FIU has spent about $30MM on the stadium, and it will probably reach twice that amount by the end.  Go F I U.

Let me put it to you in photo's, maybe it will help you out:

OLD STADIUM

OLD STADIUM DESTROYED

NEW STADIUM

AlexFAU06 said

A temp stadium is the way to go. FIU had a 15K seat stadium before upgrading to 18K or 20K seats and adding the screen and some other amenities.
FAU should start with something small and not fancy with a better field than lockhart. The owls should be playing ON-CAMPUS  and stop paying 25K to lockhart every time they play there.
Just right there FAU is saving 25K X 5 home games = 125,000 per season + the amount FAU pays for playing at DS which I believe is like over 50K for only one game.
FAU can also generate some cash by charging for parking during games and by having food vendors. FAU has already 4 million on pledges. Let's start with something small ON CAMPUS with a better field conditions. That's all what we need for now. No need for fancy skyboxes or huge jumbotrons. The stadium can be expandable and should grow as the school grows.
Back to the top

FIUPantherFan said

Please stop speaking about what FIU did, it is clear that you do not know how the project was completed.  To say we upgraded our stadium is incorrect, a stadium was there (a 7,000 seat stadium which when FIU used it was increased to 15K by adding temporary seats), that stadium was destroyed, and a NEW stadium was put in its footprint.  There are ofcourse the east sideline seats that are still there from the old stadium, these too will be destroyed to enclose the stadium by 2010.  Thus far, FIU has spent about $30MM on the stadium, and it will probably reach twice that amount by the end.  Go F I U.

Let me put it to you in photo's, maybe it will help you out:

OLD STADIUM

OLD STADIUM DESTROYED

NEW STADIUM

AlexFAU06 said

A temp stadium is the way to go. FIU had a 15K seat stadium before upgrading to 18K or 20K seats and adding the screen and some other amenities.
FAU should start with something small and not fancy with a better field than lockhart. The owls should be playing ON-CAMPUS  and stop paying 25K to lockhart every time they play there.
Just right there FAU is saving 25K X 5 home games = 125,000 per season + the amount FAU pays for playing at DS which I believe is like over 50K for only one game.
FAU can also generate some cash by charging for parking during games and by having food vendors. FAU has already 4 million on pledges. Let's start with something small ON CAMPUS with a better field conditions. That's all what we need for now. No need for fancy skyboxes or huge jumbotrons. The stadium can be expandable and should grow as the school grows.

god it kills me to say this……

FIU Panther Fan is dead-on correct…

(god it kills me to acknowledge that school did something the right way)

we have dropped the ball, sorry guys… no two ways about it… FIU did it right, we have done it wrong… plain and simple

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

<br>The one and only, world famous checklist signature is back!
Back to the top

FIUPantherFan said

A quick question about this, Was the infrastructure tore out as well (Electiral, lighting, plumbing etc)?

If so then that certainly helped facilitate getting the stadium done, and is yet another thing FAU will have to do.

FIU's admin did it correctly by having a plan and moving on it, FAU had a GOAL and did not IMHO do anything to see it through.

Thank god, weve beaten them on the field and had success in FBS and Bowls, imagine if they had OUR record and the Stadium? We'd be losing recruits left and right.

GET IT DONE AND STARTED.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Most of it was torn out, the light posts are all new to adhere to FIFA regulations (in hopes of getting international friendlies and an MLS team), the plumbing was reworked because the old field house was torn down in order to accomodate the new fieldhouse (this new fieldhouse will be like FIU's version of the Oaxley Center) and all electrical had to be reworked too but the existing plumbing and electrical lines were already there and it was just a matter of connecting them to the new structures, so that helped.

owlfamily said

FIUPantherFan said

A quick question about this, Was the infrastructure tore out as well (Electiral, lighting, plumbing etc)?

If so then that certainly helped facilitate getting the stadium done, and is yet another thing FAU will have to do.

FIU's admin did it correctly by having a plan and moving on it, FAU had a GOAL and did not IMHO do anything to see it through.

Thank god, weve beaten them on the field and had success in FBS and Bowls, imagine if they had OUR record and the Stadium? We'd be losing recruits left and right.

GET IT DONE AND STARTED.
Back to the top

The old FIU stadium looked like Lockhart. The new stadium looks like a real stadium. It is enough to convince me that they built a new stadium and didn't just do a remodel job. Anyone who says otherwise is either jealous to the point of insanity, or blind.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Lago said

smittysahoot said

I agree that Cantanese could have done more… but that was a decade ago. And FAU (maybe Cantanese?) sold the land that Boca Airport is now built on for next to nothing.

Are you sure he sold the land? I was under the impression that the military gave land to FAU, and land to Boca for an airport.

As I understood it, the land was given to FAU with the explicit instruction that the Boca Airport had to remain at its current site (for historical sake, I guess).

I think Smitty was referring to the land we gave that became the Water Treatment plant. I believe all of that used to be FAU's land. Not only that… we used to own the area now populated by Casa Del Rio, Bicycle Club, that Kingdom Hall, etc. We just gave away land left and right, looks like. The incredible shrinking university.

Then we got the University Commons land and "gave" that away too.

You know, Boca often mentions that FAU botched the University Commons deal. From what I read, FAU handed it over to a greedy developer. A normal strip mall like that has one "anchor" (Publix, Best Buy, etc) that draws large crowds and thus business to the rest of the smalled stores (i.e. places like Subway).

The University Commons developer built five anchor stores. I mean, come on. THAT is why Glades Road is a gridlock.
Back to the top

I am very confident FAU will average 20k or more a game once the stadium is located on campus.  While many of you disagree with my boycott of lockhart (which I understand, but will continue to do), I think there are many people with the same attitude I have.  I know many others myself. Once the stadium is built, people like myself will return to a stadium which  provides a college experience. More students on campus will attend.  People in Boca will identify it as their team more, and you will see more locals attend. I think 20K a game the first year is a safe bet.
Back to the top

FAU didnt do it right....but I still think it will be done sometime in the Fall of 2010...and everyone will rejoice.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

sirwgula said

I am very confident FAU will average 20k or more a game once the stadium is located on campus.  While many of you disagree with my boycott of lockhart (which I understand, but will continue to do), I think there are many people with the same attitude I have.  I know many others myself. Once the stadium is built, people like myself will return to a stadium which  provides a college experience. More students on campus will attend.  People in Boca will identify it as their team more, and you will see more locals attend. I think 20K a game the first year is a safe bet.

That's sad to hear man, I hope there are no more fans like you, which took the desicion of not showing at games because of Lockhart.
FAU has averaged 20K fans several times and yes you are right that once the school gets the on-campus stadium; FAU could easily draw 25K+ fans.

Please FAU start something small ON-CAMPUS.!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: