Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Stadium update?

Add topic

Re: Stadium update?

Yeah - Where's the news???

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

Fledgling said

Yeah - Where's the news???

Last night on his radio show, Coach Schnellenberger said that he meant with athletics administrators and university VPs and architects yesterday for several hours about the stadium. He said something along the lines of …it was the final thing that needed to be done before the stadium can begin construction (but they still need the $$$).

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

From what I am hearing, Brogan really wants to meet the 2010 opening day deadline and it has been discussed at length about the weak economy, how long it will last and how it is effecting FAU's efforts collecting $$$ for the Stadium.

With that thought, they are moving forward with plans similar to the original financial model of the Dome stadium proposal.  Not exactly, but similar in nature in order to get the thing done in time.

Dorms will have to be in place by '09(there is is time to get this done from what I am being told), not sure how the stages will be done for the stadium, retail shop etc., I'm guessing things will be phased together over a period of several years.

Back to the top

Bytor said

From what I am hearing, Brogan really wants to meet the 2010 opening day deadline and it has been discussed at length about the weak economy, how long it will last and how it is effecting FAU's efforts collecting $$$ for the Stadium.

With that thought, they are moving forward with plans similar to the original financial model of the Dome stadium proposal.  Not exactly, but similar in nature in order to get the thing done in time.

Dorms will have to be in place by '09(there is is time to get this done from what I am being told), not sure how the stages will be done for the stadium, retail shop etc., I'm guessing things will be phased together over a period of several years.

Would that "dome" plan be the one that involves the sale of development rights to finance the stadium?
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Bytor said

Would that "dome" plan be the one that involves the sale of development rights to finance the stadium?

Yes, to some extent anyway.
Back to the top

Please don't mention dome. It brings up bad memories of past promises.  :'(

Plus I hated the idea of a dome from the beginning. IT IS FOOTBALL. PLAY OUTSIDE.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Bytor said

When you get to the bonfire tomorrow night, look east past the Satellite Plant and marvel at all the non-construction that's happening over there to build the dorms for '09. That construction was supposed to start back in the beginning of August to be done on time for Fall '09.

I'm they could fill another 600-bed dorm in 2009 (bringing us to 3000) and beyond that, a 600-bed dorm in 2010 (3600) but if they plan to throw down 2400 beds by 2010 they may have an issue. One 600-bed dorm per year from 2009 to 2015 would probably be the best plan.

Speaking of dorms, it's pretty awesome over by Housing right now. Maybe it's typical behavior for the first week but there are so many things going on at once over there right now, even late into the night. Yesterday for example there were two games of ultimate frisbee, lacrosse, soccer, volleyball, skateboarding in every direction and people just milling about everywhere … and all of this happening simultaneously.

How long this will last, I don't know, but hopefully most of the semester before Finals week anyway.

As a side story, I was in one of the GPT elevators with this girl and we started talking to the people in there… nearly everybody in the elevator was going to a different party.
Back to the top

2010 not happening.

It was my gut feeling from the beginning anyway… How can we build a fan base with poor communication and commitment?

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

Jeez debbie downer.  It only take 12 months to build it, we are fine everyone just relax.  It'll get done.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

I still think it will happen.  It's just one of those big deals that is kept under wraps until the very last minute, then BOOM!, we have ground breaking.  Besides, I wouldn't want to be the one to tell HS "no stadium" and make a liar out of him.  uh uh, no way. ;D

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top
Control functions: