Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Star Telegram Article - 2 Donors

Add topic

Re: Star Telegram Article - 2 Donors

Florida_Owl said

owlfan1 said

owlcountry said

Florida_Owl said

SeminOWL2006 said

I emailed the writer and he said this info comes directly from HS.  For what its worth.

If HS says it, it's worth ALOT ;D

I'm much more confident than I was a month ago after getting that quote. To know there are two prospects makes it all the more likely.

My confidence is growing as well.

GO OWLS!!!

I hera ya…

But seriously, was there ever REALLY a doubt in your heart of hearts that HS would not come though??

Actually I did have doubts, not in Howard but in all of the other powers that be. I knew eventually it would happen, I just figured that it would get postponed again like has happened so many times before.

We aren't out of the woods yet so I am still keeping my fingers crossed.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

Actually I did have doubts, not in Howard but in all of the other powers that be. I knew eventually it would happen, I just figured that it would get postponed again like has happened so many times before.

GO OWLS!!!

Are you from Missouri?? ;D
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

owlfan1 said

GO OWLS!!!

Are you from Missouri?? ;D

Not from Missouri even though I do subscribe to a show me before I believe you philosophy. I think that is what you are getting at.

Once again, I always had faith in coach, just not in everyone else involved.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

I posted this in another thread, but it applies here as well. Not to rain on the parade, but Ted is saying that according to credible sources this may be just wishful thinking on Howard's part.

Flip Flop Football | Belt bowl secret unveiled early
Back to the top

Lago said

I posted this in another thread, but it applies here as well. Not to rain on the parade, but Ted is saying that according to credible sources this may be just wishful thinking on Howard's part.

Not sure what you are referring to. Ted's blog mentions the bowl situation and the SBC announcement. There are a few "comments" about the stadium, but nothing substantial. Is that what you are referring to??

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

owlfan1 said

Lago said

Not sure what you are referring to. Ted's blog mentions the bowl situation and the SBC announcement. There are a few "comments" about the stadium, but nothing substantial. Is that what you are referring to??

GO OWLS!!!

From the comments:

no, the s-s is not slacking. consider the source of the information in the star-telegram: Hyperbole Howard.

i reported last week that howard said the stadium financing is "a done deal," which is a bit stronger than negotiating for naming rights.

but i also added a qualifier, which i have learned is necessary when it is The Voice making the announcement.

let's remember Howard had a 40,000 seat domed stadium being built in time for the 2003 season.

yes, FAU is talking with folks about naming rights. no, nothing is close to being final.

stay tuned…

Posted by: ted hutton | July 22, 2008 11:28 AM

He went on:

tom: i am working with some credible sources on the stadium.

howard, god love him, has said they are close on naming rights since about two minutes after the BOT approved the stadium plan.

alan: FAU is putting its limited resources toward big bucks. if they needed $5 or $6 mill it would make more sense to try and collect smaller sums from a lot of people, but they need $10 to $12 mill, and that is a lot of little checks.

/ ted

Posted by: ted hutton | July 22, 2008 4:53 PM
Back to the top

I had actually emailed Angelos about the whole many people, small amounts thing and how they should really have gotten to us…heres my email and his response:

Mr. Angelos,

I was going to do "Ask the AD" but my question got long.

There is a lot of talk down at the Owl's Nest (FAU fan message board and website) concerned that we will not have the necessary funding to get a loan and begin construction of the Stadium for 2010. In order to meet this time line, a lot of alumni are wondering "Why aren't we being asked?"

There should be a comprehensive attempt to get Alumni donations specifically for the Stadium, and not necessarily big donations either.  If 10,000 alums gave just $10 a month that would amount to  $1.2M in a year.  Considering that there are over 55,000 alumni in the Tri-County area alone, this should not be a huge issue.

This amount is comparable to what is asked for naming rights (if extended for time).

Senator Obama has shown the power of large numbers of small donations over time and we should take the lesson of internet fundraising to heart.  The current site at www.fau.edu/innovationvillage is difficult to find unless you are a diehard fan or have been directed there, and has no clear way to donate a small amount of money (the least expensive item is a locker @ $5000).  Now that the Alumni building is on its way up, it is time to ask not what FAU can do for the alumni but what the alumni can do for FAU.

Why not create a website with one of those cheesy thermometers, have a link on the FAU homepage to it, and ask people to give 1, 5, 10, 20 dollars a month for a year.
Then give them a T-shirt, Crunch-Zone Season Ticket, Regular Season Ticket, and Club Seat respectively with their donations.  The thermometer doesn't even have to be real.  Start it out at 15% so people know it isn't hopeless and show recent donations (i.e. Joe, West Palm Beach - $20) that refresh every so often.  Once the actual donations reach 15% then let it go up with the actual donations.

Others have said "If you want to donate all you have to do is write a check and say its for the stadium" but really this is (unfortunately) too much to ask for alot of alumni.  It forces them to take initiative when it should be FAU going to them and saying "Look we want you to help us with this stadium"

Maybe when its all done we can walk down to "Howard Schnellenberger Field at Alumni Stadium" and have something we can really be proud of instead of a stadium named after a random corporation with which we cannot relate.

Thank you very much for your email. I certainly like your thought process of getting all alumnus to pay a little amount a month to help contribute to the stadium. I have lobbied with the student body to do this same thing so that they can be part of the gift to the stadium, but as of right now, the students have not bought into that concept. I am definitely going to talk to the alumni association about soliciting their help and getting involved in helping this stadium become a reality. I certainly want to reach out to everybody and cast a wide net, so that no one can ever say that they were never asked. Also, I want to check with the university to see where we are for online solicitations. I know on our athletics website there is an opportunity to contribute online, but I am not sure we have really perfected this area. You bring up some great points that I am going to follow up on. Thanks for your suggestions.

Craig

Craig Angelos
Director of Athletics
Florida Atlantic University
777 Glades Road
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
Phone:  (561)297-4434
Fax:  (561)297-3963
Cell:  (561)706-6206
[email protected]

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

I have lobbied with the student body to do this same thing so that they can be part of the gift to the stadium, but as of right now, the students have not bought into that concept.

Gee! I wonder why!?

It's not like they already pay for the ENTIRE athletic budget as it stands or anything like that…Lol!
Back to the top
Control functions: