Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2019 C-USA Football Championship Thread - UAB @ FAU - Dec 7th, 1:30 PM

Add topic

2019 C-USA Football Championship Thread - UAB @ FAU - Dec 7th, 1:30 PM

The Matchup: UAB (9-3, 6-2 C-USA) vs. FAU (9-3, 7-1 C-USA)

When: Saturday, December 7th, 1:30 PM

Where: FAU Stadium

Weather: Current Conditions @ FAU Stadium

The Series: The Owls lead 4-2, and are 2-1 at home.

09/06/08 H W 49-34
11/07/09 A L 56-29
09/02/10 A W 32-31
11/26/11 H W 38-35
10/05/13 A W 37-23
11/01/14 H L 31-28

Blazer Team Site: Here

UAB Notables

UAB will make a return trip to the Conference USA title game under fourth-year head coach Bill Clark.  The Blazers, who lost 36 seniors off last year’s 11-3 C-USA Championship squad, won their final three games to finish 7-1 in league play for the second straight season.  The Blazers defense, which replaced eight starters, is among the best in the FBS in several categories and leads the league in scoring defense (18.5 points allowed per game) and in rushing defense (92.3 yards per game), among other categories.  A trio of talented receivers in junior Austin Watkins, Jr., senior Kendall Parham and junior Myron Mitchell, along with junior RB Spencer Brown (last year’s C-USA Championship MVP) lead the UAB offense.

FAU Notables

Florida Atlantic captured the East Division title with wins in its final five conference games and nine of its last 10 overall, all by double-digits.  Head coach Lane Kiffin will be looking to lead the Owls to their second Conference USA Championship and a 10-win season for just the third time in program history.  Florida Atlantic is led offensively by senior TE Harrison Bryant, one of three finalists for the Mackey Award, who leads the nation’s tight ends in receptions (61) and receiving Yards (965).  The Owls defense ranks near the top of the nation’s teams in interceptions (19) and turnovers forced (29), with senior CB Meiko Dotson picking off eight passes.

Game Information

TV: CBSSN

Live Video: CBSSN

Radio: 640 The Hurricane

Stats: Here

Opening Line: FAU - 7.5

Back to the top

FAU has a WAY better record than UAB does, FAU has four wins over Bowl teams while UAB has only ONE (over La. Tech with 2 best players suspended!).

Here is the list of UAB wins; Alabama St., Akron, S. Alabama, Rice, UTSA, ODU, UTEP, La. Tech, N. Texas. If fact La. Tech is the ONLY ONE with even a winning record!! What a gift (or joke!) of a schedule.

FAU losses were to Ohio State, UCF and Marshall (ALL Bowl teams) while UAB losses were to WKU, Tennessee and S. Miss (also all Bowl teams). Of course we beat the two common opponents UAB lost to (WKU and S. Miss.) as the UAB O is only fair even with starting QB in. He did play yest. but only threw one pass attempt (VERY ODD) so I will try and find out his status. They DO have a good D though but not based on turnovers.
Back to the top

Blazers will be decent underdogs here. All of UAB's losses the last 3 years have come away from home.
Back to the top

UAB fans travel well. There will be a sizable contingent at the game. Hopefully our fans show up in good numbers as well. 
Back to the top

Everyone who typically go to games start asking friends and family to join you at the game this weekend! Invite them to tailgate and watch the only team in Florida playing for a championship Saturday. We gotta do our part as fans too!
Back to the top

I’m hoping to bring a coworker with us on Saturday. 
Back to the top

Line opened at FAU -7.5

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Coach Kiffin is speaking highly of Bill Clark and his UAB Blazers. Rightfully so. They are the defending conference champions after all.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

UAB Head Coach Bill Clark had this to say about the Owls:

On Florida Atlantic’s biggest threats

“They’ve got an All-American tight end. They don’t just have him. They get the ball to him every way you can get it to him. They have really good running backs. I think I say their quarterback throw about a 70-yard ball through the air, so he has a big arm, is athletic and very well-schooled. I think when the head coach deals with the quarterbacks and is the play caller – I always say, ‘Where that head coach leans to, they’re usually going to be very good on that side of the ball.’ There’s no doubt he’s a good play caller, very innovative. Defensively, I think they’re very good. Probably like us, from the early games to the end, they’ve gotten a lot better. They’ve kind of figured out who their personnel is. I know they’ve got a running back returning who was hurt the first game. He’s really good. I think they’re just very dynamic on offense. Then they’ve got really good special teams. They’re just a good football team.”

On his relationship with Lane Kiffin

“Yeah, we just know each other from when he was at Alabama. I was at South and different places, and he would call me about coaches or things. Of course, being in the conference together, I have a good relationship with all those guys. He’s done a great job. Like I said, two of the last three years in the championship game.”
Back to the top

I know so little about uab that it makes me nervous.  I'm hoping Shane does some leg work and shares his opinion.  Vegas is a good gauge.  But I'm ignorant .
Back to the top
Control functions: