Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2019 SEASON OPENER THREAD: FAU @ #5 Ohio State - August 31st

Add topic

Saturday's scrimmage was 1's vs scout…a lot of Substitution work, organization rather than evaluation.
Back to the top

Here’s my advice for watching this game and keeping your sanity.

Pretend we get spotted 49 points.  So add 49 points to our score every time you look at the scoreboard.

Under those circumstances we may win this thing.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Anyone attending one of the two watch parties for the game?

The Alumni Associations are meeting at Millers Ale House and the Hooters in Boca Raton is hosting the other.

Don't know where I'm starting the game, but have a feeling I'll be finishing it in whiskey.

Back to the top

I think the best strategy would be to completely throw the Ohio State game and spend every extra moment game planning for UCF. We need to preserve our depth at all costs.

Back to the top

faufan2017 said

I think the best strategy would be to completely throw the Ohio State game and spend every extra moment game planning for UCF. We need to preserve our depth at all costs.

Posted On: Aug 26th 2019, 12:39 AM #387743

That’s not how you build winning culture.

Go out there and play hard and like you got nothing to lose.

One of FAU’s former coaches told me in a way he felt they never recovered from OU all season. You have to do some good things, like put some drives together and force some turnovers and let that confidence roll into UCF.

Also, football  players tend to get hurt more when they are trying not to get hurt. 
Back to the top

yeah, no reason not believe we can't keep it close going into halftime…anything can happen in the 2nd half….that's a win for lots of small schools…if we put together 2 good halfs, it'll be quite a feat….

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

You play to win the game 
Back to the top

+ a whole bunch to Shane's comments.

As a former college football player at a small school (FCS-small and not G5-small), you really do want to play all-out when you have a chance on the biggest stages.  I totally get if things get out of hand that you empty the bench and get some reps to look at some guys and protect others deep into the game.  But you have to approach the game like it is 0-0 - at least as players and coaches.

People always say there is no such thing as good loss, but I agree the OU game had a long-lasting impact on the 2018 Owls.  A respectable showing against a playoff-contender at OSU can pay dividends for the rest of the season.
Back to the top

I'm just hoping for a better showing that last year's opener, which proved to be a harbinger of bad things to come. I just don't want another "body bag" game, especially on FOX. Good showing – keep it below the spread possibly, and I'll be content.
Back to the top

Just don't think the loss to OU last year had a long term affect. We turned around and put up 32 on Air Force and 49 on Bethune and even 36 on UCF at UCF!

I harp back to losing focus during games and specifically in the 2nd half over and over last year, especially at home! We led 2 OOC and all 4 CUSA games at the half and blew 2 (La. Tech and UNCC) and played poorly in the other 2 (AF and BCU), even started 2nd half badly vs. ODU!!!

I pray we learned our lessons last year and grew up as players (AND Coaches!) and realize these are 60 min. games and we have to fight for and defend every yard for 60 minutes!
Back to the top
Control functions: