Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Bethune Cookman @ FAU Game Thread - September 15, 2018

Add topic

OL needs more push and to hold blocks longer, and OC needs to vary it more. If they load the box. play action more or like AF more quick outs and even shots down the field, especially on 1st down! They will learn each other and get better I think, Go Owls!
Back to the top

Maybe I am just mis-remembering, but I felt like last year there were lots of runs where Motor was able to get outside and make a cut off a block?  I know Motor isn't a speed-demon that we just run sweeps with all day long, but it feels like the majority of his carries have been delays or straight up the middle when last year it seemed like he got outside the tackles frequently.

Am I making that up?  Or is this because of the penetration teams are getting up the middle?  I agree it seems like on many runs we get little push - the successful ones have been to the outside where our guy is just faster than the other team's guy, or a few runs up the gut where the O-line just sealed a guy and the hole was wide open more than them bulldozing forward and driving guys off the ball.

On the other hand, I felt like our pass blocking has been very solid.  But I still think Lane wants to have a running team.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Maybe I am just mis-remembering, but I felt like last year there were lots of runs where Motor was able to get outside and make a cut off a block?  I know Motor isn't a speed-demon that we just run sweeps with all day long, but it feels like the majority of his carries have been delays or straight up the middle when last year it seemed like he got outside the tackles frequently.

Am I making that up?  Or is this because of the penetration teams are getting up the middle?  I agree it seems like on many runs we get little push - the successful ones have been to the outside where our guy is just faster than the other team's guy, or a few runs up the gut where the O-line just sealed a guy and the hole was wide open more than them bulldozing forward and driving guys off the ball.

On the other hand, I felt like our pass blocking has been very solid.  But I still think Lane wants to have a running team.
Posted On: Sep 17th 2018, 10:49 AM #380902
I believe he had better runs to create and have the defense miss tackles last year.  its like the play calling does not match his strengths.  We use Willie Wright more on jet sweeps and runs on the corners as opposed to Motor, it doesn't make sense.  Then Whyte gets more yards than Motor I mean he gets the TD record but the yards looked too anemic, he should've had about 150 yards carrying the ball.  We need Motor to do Motor things if we want to win.  The BC game shows that Robison can struggle and is learning as he plays, I want more screens to motor and our receiving corp has impressed me.  Durante is a play maker as well as Bryant. I want to see a series with De'Andre and Motor.We need the uptempo back,  we need an angle if we stand a chance against UCF.
Back to the top

Still hard to figure out Johnson as a passer - he threw a dart on Saturday night, but with Robison getting all of the starts you have to think he must look sharper in practice and be the guy the coaching staff believes gives the team the best chance to win.  Johnson's arm strength might be back, but we just haven't seen it yet.  Obviously Robison did some great things and set a record against Air Force, so hard to argue against him.

But I certainly would love to see Johnson get some meaningful snaps throughout a game as a change-of-pace guy who adds another threat on the perimeter.
Back to the top
Control functions: