Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME CAPSULE: FAU vs Marshall - November 6, 2021

Add topic

FAU Fan said

Unfortunately we can keep coming up with reasons why we did not win this game, but good teams just manage to win games without excuses. This was going to be a measuring stick of where our program is and I think we know where we are at this time. Lots of work to do to get this program moving forward and recruiting become so important over the next few years. Let’s win our next three games, get a good bowl invitation and move on from there. Go Owls!
Posted On: Nov 7th 2021, 7:33 AM #404777

As the guy said above , recruiting is meaningless if the coach sucks and can't get the most out of talent.

We are going to be a perennial 7-5 type team until we wise up and fire taggart.  Unprepared , undisciplined, and underachieving will be normal under him
Back to the top

SeminOwl28 said

FAU Fan said

Unfortunately we can keep coming up with reasons why we did not win this game, but good teams just manage to win games without excuses. This was going to be a measuring stick of where our program is and I think we know where we are at this time. Lots of work to do to get this program moving forward and recruiting become so important over the next few years. Let’s win our next three games, get a good bowl invitation and move on from there. Go Owls!

As the guy said above , recruiting is meaningless if the coach sucks and can't get the most out of talent.

We are going to be a perennial 7-5 type team until we wise up and fire taggart.  Unprepared , undisciplined, and underachieving will be normal under him
Posted On: Nov 7th 2021, 7:44 AM #404778

Not sure if we can blame Taggart for dropped balls and fumbles.
That is on the player himself.
Recruiting is based on relationships and Taggart and staff have established many in Florida and elsewhere.
Back to the top

FAU Fan said

SeminOwl28 said

FAU Fan said

Recruiting is based on relationships and Taggart and staff have established many in Florida and elsewhere.

Posted On: Nov 7th 2021, 8:04 AM #404779

It's fundamentals which we lack.   Securing the ball and catching  the ball are fundamentals.  So is crappy kick coverage.  So are stupid penalties

The defense and special teams are often out of place.  The oline can't pass block.  The playcalling is horrible on offense  

The team is never prepared when playing anyone with a pulse. We will predictably lose to western Kentucky and probably beat ODU and middle Tennessee. 7-5 will be a norm type season under taggart.  He has failed upward more than any coach I can remember

We gave him a soft landing to start over but he isn't going anywhere unfortunately. We will have to fire him if we want to improve when in the AAC.   He won't cut it
Back to the top

My observations FWTW,
1.  Agree, the dropped passes are on the players.
2.  Too often, the receivers were not given a chance to catch the ball as the passes sailed over their heads or out of bounds. Again, not on the coach.
3.  Perry has a tendency to hold on to the ball way too long.  He should have been taught by now that especially against a good team like Marshall, he has limited time to either connect with the intended receiver or dump the ball. On the coach.
4.  Running game was decent, there was just no complementary passing game.
5.  The team is not improving during the year.  We have some of the top recruiting classes in the conference the past few years, and should be more dominant in the conference than we are. On the coach.
6.  The defense played well enough to win.

I don’t think there is much to be done coaching wise right now. FAU is limited by funding as with many G5 schools.  The team shows great enthusiasm and the players and recruits seem to like Taggart, but I’m not so sure Taggart and the assistants he can afford are developing them to their potential.
Back to the top

SeminOwl28 said

FAU Fan said

SeminOwl28 said

FAU Fan said

Posted On: Nov 7th 2021, 8:04 AM #404779
It's fundamentals which we lack.   Securing the ball and catching  the ball are fundamentals.  So is crappy kick coverage.  So are stupid penalties

The defense and special teams are often out of place.  The oline can't pass block.  The playcalling is horrible on offense  

The team is never prepared when playing anyone with a pulse. We will predictably lose to western Kentucky and probably beat ODU and middle Tennessee. 7-5 will be a norm type season under taggart.  He has failed upward more than any coach I can remember

We gave him a soft landing to start over but he isn't going anywhere unfortunately. We will have to fire him if we want to improve when in the AAC.   He won't cut it
Posted On: Nov 7th 2021, 8:08 AM #404780
This team comes out "flat" every week.  We've overcome this with pure talent and speed against mediocre or bad teams. As you say, any team with a pulse beats us by double digits. This is a product of coaching plain and simple.

If we're lucky we finish the last 3 games 2-1 but I'm not convinced we can beat either WKU or MTS

Go owls!  
Back to the top

Yea this team is so up and down week to week. After the FIU game, I has having flashbacks to the Kiffin era but then after last week against UTEP, I was having flashbacks to the Partridge era. We’re hot and cold it begins and ends with coaching. Taggart is probably a better than average coach for C-USA but this was his shot at a signature win and the team came out flat. Again. I would like to see what we have in MJJ for at least a few series this year. Kosi is exactly what he was at Miami, a hit or miss guy that shows flashes but can’t sustain any consistency. Very disappointing game last night we’re more talented than anyone in our division but can’t put it together when it counts. Glad we’re done playing Marshall after next year I don’t want to see them again they own us.

My early predictions for the rest of the year is that we probably beat ODU next week but it’ll be closer than we’d like and we probably beat MTSU at home the same way but we lose at WKU. Our secondary is overhyped Zappe is going to pick them apart. Bahamas Bowl against some MAC team, here we come! Hopefully Willie can finally win a bowl game this year 
Back to the top

LawOwl said

Yea this team is so up and down week to week. After the FIU game, I has having flashbacks to the Kiffin era but then after last week against UTEP, I was having flashbacks to the Partridge era. We’re hot and cold it begins and ends with coaching. Taggart is probably a better than average coach for C-USA but this was his shot at a signature win and the team came out flat. Again. I would like to see what we have in MJJ for at least a few series this year. Kosi is exactly what he was at Miami, a hit or miss guy that shows flashes but can’t sustain any consistency. Very disappointing game last night we’re more talented than anyone in our division but can’t put it together when it counts. Glad we’re done playing Marshall after next year I don’t want to see them again they own us.

My early predictions for the rest of the year is that we probably beat ODU next week but it’ll be closer than we’d like and we probably beat MTSU at home the same way but we lose at WKU. Our secondary is overhyped Zappe is going to pick them apart. Bahamas Bowl against some MAC team, here we come! Hopefully Willie can finally win a bowl game this year 
Posted On: Nov 7th 2021, 8:39 AM #404783

If we make it to a bowl game I have a feeling it's going to be our first bowl loss. What are we 6-0 in bowl games?
Back to the top

cbboarder said

LawOwl said

If we make it to a bowl game I have a feeling it's going to be our first bowl loss. What are we 6-0 in bowl games?
Posted On: Nov 7th 2021, 8:55 AM #404784

4-1. We lost last year’s Montgomery Bowl against Memphis 
Back to the top

LawOwl said

cbboarder said

LawOwl said

Posted On: Nov 7th 2021, 8:55 AM #404784

4-1. We lost last year’s Montgomery Bowl against Memphis 
Posted On: Nov 7th 2021, 9:11 AM #404785

Oops. Forgot about that…..
Back to the top

I loved the fact how Perry said the game was on them as players and they need to do  some self-reflecting. 
Back to the top
Control functions:

Related content