Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: USF @ FAU - September 26th, 2020

Add topic

Jack D Whidden III said

Wow, really cool factoid given to us from FAU Football:

USF was a program that FAU’s inaugural head coach, Howard Schnellenberger, mimicked as he began the process of building a football program in Paradise. Schnellenberger traveled across the state 20 years ago to meet with then-Bulls’ inaugural head coach Jim Leavitt, who is now FAU’s defensive coordinator.

Do any of the OG finals remember anything about this? And it all came full circle with that thriller at Lockhart in 2007.
Posted On: Sep 22nd 2020, 5:36 PM #396126

I was at that game and by far was one of the most thrilling FAU games I have ever gone to.  Warley Leroy missed I believe 4 FG’s.Lockhart was rocking,  and the game was on ESPN.  A late call costed us the game but that year was special,  we put up a fight.  USF was on the come up beating power 5 teams and traveling to beat them.  The Auburn game comes to mind for
me.  This game is emotional I think FAU needs to make a statement and blow this team out.  Like Kiffin,  this is Taggart’s last chance.  A dominating win at home will help the cause.  The Harmon leap occurred I think twice in 2007 a mini one but the main one was against MTSU in the 2007 opener.
Back to the top

I think we can win. I think we should be favored. We should score and be explosive and hopefully stop USF which looks like a bad offense. Anything between getting shut out in 2005 3-0 in overtime and 2017 is a little fuzzy.
Back to the top

I was there in 07. The atmosphere was crazy. I thought the bleachers were going to collapse after the Harmon leap over Mike Jenkins. Those 3 or 4 missed field goals killed us.
Back to the top

teambeer said

2007 was the best environment I’d ever seen at Lockhart, it topped 2003 IMO.

Rained a ton…
Posted On: Sep 22nd 2020, 7:46 PM #396131

ULM game…most rain I have ever seen at a football game! There was ZERO wind and came down so hard you couldn't even see…yet, the student section walked from end zone to end zone and the band never left.

Smitty had an avatar for that one…..

Back to the top

Roscoeowl said

Been there from the beginning but trying to remember exactly. Was that the game of the Harmon Leap.  
Posted On: Sep 22nd 2020, 6:28 PM #396130
Yes sir…

The97Revolution said

Wish I was around for that game…
Posted On: Sep 22nd 2020, 5:57 PM #396128
Here's the full game, Enjoy…

Queue to 1:51:30 for the play in reference (Harmon jumping over a defender):

Back to the top

Rick said

Roscoeowl said

Been there from the beginning but trying to remember exactly. Was that the game of the Harmon Leap.
Posted On: Sep 22nd 2020, 6:28 PM #396130
Yes sir…

The97Revolution said

Wish I was around for that game…
Posted On: Sep 22nd 2020, 5:57 PM #396128
Here's the full game, Enjoy…

Queue to 1:51:30 for the play in reference (Harmon jumping over a defender):

Posted On: Sep 22nd 2020, 11:03 PM #396136
Well there goes my productive morning…
Back to the top

Jack D Whidden III said

USF is conducting contact tracing from Saturday's game anyways. The Bulls had a round of testing yesterday, with all negatives.

Posted On: Sep 22nd 2020, 5:26 PM #396124

UPDATE

USF "pauses on-field activity" pending the results of COVID-19 testing which occurred this morning.

This decision comes from an "abundance of caution" following an uptick in positives COVID results at their previous opponent and watching game film from Saturday to see which USF players may have come in contact.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

People are overreacting to the press release. This will become the standard. Team A comes away with positive tests. Team B, who played Team A and didn’t have COVID issues during recent testing, pauses workouts for a day to verify. 

It’s the safe move. But people need to read the second graf of the press release. It specifically says they had “all negative results” before and after the game. 

I would be FAR more concerned if USF had previous and recent mass outbreaks. And if they’re down a few, they have to play if it’s feasible. 

Teams need to approach this in one simple way: If it’s bad and we’re down a few guys, we play. If it’s awful and we can’t reasonably play, we don’t. 

In short, I expect game on. Even with the Jake Jinx considered. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

I agree with Jake. This will be the new norm. And as we stated yesterday, USF received zero positive tests results from Monday's round of testing.

That said, I don't think USF makes this decision unless they're expecting an outbreak after they have conducted contact tracing from Saturday's game.

I think the game is still on for Saturday. I at least certainly hope so because I cannot get a refund on my hotel!  

:Laughing:

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Jack D Whidden III said

I agree with Jake. This will be the new norm. And as we stated yesterday, USF received zero positive tests results from Monday's round of testing.

That said, I don't think USF makes this decision unless they're expecting an outbreak after they have conducted contact tracing from Saturday's game.

I think the game is still on for Saturday. I at least certainly hope so because I cannot get a refund on my hotel!  

:Laughing:
Posted On: Sep 23rd 2020, 11:06 AM #396140

I disagree only in the sense that I think USF had to this for PR sake. It would be a really bad look in the eyes of some if they proceeded with business as usual. 

I don’t think USF did it because they’re expecting an outbreak. Maybe they did. But I just don’t see it that way. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top
Control functions: