Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Fan guide and traditions

Add topic

Re: Fan guide and traditions

Fan guide and traditions

Winning does bring more fans. I'm not saying we can't look at things and suggest changes. I think that's a great idea. I'm just saying in general, OVERALL, in the grand scope of things, something is going right. Yes, things can change and be improved - but from a bigger picture and looking from the outside, things are going in the right direction; just not as fast as some of us would hope.

And I do live in Texas and do stay in touch - however, contrary to popular belief, it is not one-sided. I hear a lot of gripes and complaints from not only prOWLers, but from the students I mentor as well. I also keep in touch with faculty and staff. Not saying I know everything or see everything, but I do feel as if I have a grip on what is going on.

Why is this me against everyone? LOL. Not that I mind defending my points and offering counter-points, but maybe I wasn't clear in what I meant to say.

I think it's a good idea to hold these meetings. But I think it's important we step back, out of the idea of being students, faculty, staff or alums and look at the overall picture: the budget has balanced, attendance has increased, scholarship money has increased, there are less injuries, student-athletes GPAs have increased, other sports besides football are becoming competitive in our (still relatively) new place in the Sun Belt Conference, etc.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

Winning does bring more fans. I'm not saying we can't look at things and suggest changes. I think that's a great idea. I'm just saying in general, OVERALL, in the grand scope of things, something is going right. Yes, things can change and be improved - but from a bigger picture and looking from the outside, things are going in the right direction; just not as fast as some of us would hope.

And I do live in Texas and do stay in touch - however, contrary to popular belief, it is not one-sided. I hear a lot of gripes and complaints from not only prOWLers, but from the students I mentor as well. I also keep in touch with faculty and staff. Not saying I know everything or see everything, but I do feel as if I have a grip on what is going on.

Why is this me against everyone? LOL. Not that I mind defending my points and offering counter-points, but maybe I wasn't clear in what I meant to say.

I think it's a good idea to hold these meetings. But I think it's important we step back, out of the idea of being students, faculty, staff or alums and look at the overall picture: the budget has balanced, attendance has increased, scholarship money has increased, there are less injuries, student-athletes GPAs have increased, other sports besides football are becoming competitive in our (still relatively) new place in the Sun Belt Conference, etc.

I hear ya Smitty. I think other sports should be talked about and if this meeting goes well maybe we can schedule another one just to keep coming up with new ideas. A lot of the stuff people are suggesting for instance… SHOW UP and BE LOUD that goes for all sports and has nothing to do with money. I know Athletics is low on money but hopefully with naming rights to our stadium and with more fans showing up and FAU getting more TV exposure more businesses are going to want to advertise with FAU and get in on the rise of athletics.

We're not going to present these ideas to athletics and say here's what a bunch of people from the Owls nest came up with we want the implemented immediately! I hope someone from athletics can show up at this meeting and share their ideas maybe tell us what's possible what's not and what ideas they like. We're only doing our part as fans to help this school grow and make it the best that we possibly can not to tell everyone in athletics how to do their job.

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

We're not going to present these ideas to athletics and say here's what a bunch of people from the Owls nest came up with we want the implemented immediately! I hope someone from athletics can show up at this meeting and share their ideas maybe tell us what's possible what's not and what ideas they like.
Not to be a buzzkill or anything but if we depend on Athletics it's just going to get dragged down. They have a lot of expensive buns in the oven already and they're just going to say (because they've said this to me at least five times):

What ideas do they like? All of them.
What's possible? Anything that doesn't affect their budget.

So this project would be better run through SGA and the Alumni Office with a minimum of Athletics dependency.

Back to the top

I have been gone for many years (would you believe 38?). But why in the world are you worrying about what Athletics says about a handbook? For crying out loud, do what's right. Let Athletics worry about covering kickoffs, recruiting, game plans and so forth. Let those who have expertise in the various areas use it there. You are empowered to do what is necessary. Now, all you have to do is get moving.
Back to the top

Re: FAN GUIDE AND TRADITIONS

fauowl09 said

ok… guys.. I sent this to Paul Metcalf - maybe it's a start.. .maybe not, who knows…

I am a part of the rapidly growing online community The Owls Nest - the online message board for Owls fans, students and alumni to gather and talk Owls sports.  The website for reference is Owl's Nest.

There has been a lengthy discussion over the past 2-3 years regarding traditions, unity, brand cohesiveness, and simple FAU sports education for fans, students and alumni alike.  With this program-setting win at the New Orleans Bowl and unprecedented national and local media coverage of Florida Atlantic, there is great interest from fans, students and alumni to work WITH the university, the athletics department, the alumni association, student government, the band, the cheerleaders/dance team, and all other involved parties to gather (physically in a convention-type setting) and iron out a TRUE, DEFINED set of rules/traditions for Owls fans at football/basketball/baseball/sports events.

Through The Owls Nest board, there has been a very strong interest in seeing if this could come to fruition and so I took it upon myself to speak on behalf of the message board community to ask what can we all do?

The Owl Book, produced by the alumni association and the prOWLers (I believe), is an unbelievably creative idea.  I enjoyed it and think it is a solid foundation to build upon.  The members of the message board, in turn, agree and would love to assist in expanding the book for next football season.

I could write for days and days about all the ideas and tweaks I have in mind for the traditions and The Owl Book, but I don't believe that would be productive over e-mail.  And that is just ME - Imagine a room full of dozens and dozens of fans, students, alumni, prOWLers, student government members, athletics department members, the band director, etc.  This would turn into the most comprehensive, complete, DEFINED set of traditions EVER established at this young school!

So…… how do we do this?  What can we do to help?  Thank you for your time and I hope to speak with you soon.

good? stupid? pointless?

Excellent!…Did you also try sending this to Brogan? He could demand that this matter is given the attention it deserves.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

Jab979 said

We're not going to present these ideas to athletics and say here's what a bunch of people from the Owls nest came up with we want the implemented immediately! I hope someone from athletics can show up at this meeting and share their ideas maybe tell us what's possible what's not and what ideas they like.
Not to be a buzzkill or anything but if we depend on Athletics it's just going to get dragged down. They have a lot of expensive buns in the oven already and they're just going to say (because they've said this to me at least five times):

What ideas do they like? All of them.
What's possible? Anything that doesn't affect their budget.

So this project would be better run through SGA and the Alumni Office with a minimum of Athletics dependency.

Didn't think of it that way. We can start our own traditions we don't really need Athletics. A lot of the stuff we are coming up with isn't going to be boat loads of money. Learning & Singing the fight song, be loud and show up, wear certain colors to the games all those things don't cost a dime. Some other ideas like I had of maybe having an Owl tOWL or give aways of Blue T-Shirts may cost money but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

The only reason you need the athletic dept., is because they can get you access to all the incoming freshman. If you can start with the freshman, they are a clean slate and will jump on any tradition that is presented to them. It is for that reason that I suggested bringing it to Brogan...
Back to the top

count me in, as another student from that incoming 2001 class, i never (actually mayeb once or twice) have missed a home game!  WE NEED A BOOK LIKE THIS……no one knows anything about anything until they are in their 2nd freshamn year (or soph. year for the ones that are smart and dont party too hard).

As for the meeting we need to pick a night (b/c a lot of us work) that preferablly not a weekend.  Also i dont think that Roberts Rules of Orders will work, b/c it is hard to get ur opinion in properly, and not everyone knows Roberts Rules of Orders.

Also a meet and greet for fans and students would be great, maybe at the 1st scrimage in spring……

WE ALL know there will be more fans at lockheart next year, but we were all the foundation of this program……we should all know each other b/c call me crazy i think this is going to be a long, fun ride!
Back to the top

I think that it is a great idea to get ALL fans in the stands to do all cheers in unison, including many of the other stuffs that fans can do during the game - including whatever you call the owl-eye arm thingy during kick-offs, I know I was the only one in my section doing this in NO, but found others joining in as the game progress, this is how things get started one person doing it an others will join in - with time anyway.  I know from experience I was a lone soldiers at Lockhart and now I have the hole section cheering loudly & drumming on the seats to make noise.

As an Alumn, and having witness what the USF & UF fans did during the game made it pretty clear that we Owl fans need to follow suit and bring the same type of atmosphere at Owl games, which heightens the game time experience for everyone.

We do not need athletics to make this happen, however once all the details has been ironed out and we need their assist, printing & distributing, etc.. I don't see them objecting if what is presented to them is fan based and part of getting fans involved, especially if all the work as already been done.  I would be nice to involve all that is involved, the cheer team (which should lead cheers) and should probably be part of this effort so that fans & cheer team are on the same page & the Band since they do have some control over some of the interactions during games.

Here is a suggestion: Once all the details are work-out, we would needs a couple of people in each sections to help distribute the material in those sections & help lead the cheers, it will take time, but over the course of a season it will have the chance to catch on and it won't be long before everyone is on the same page.  I would also suggest that you start with a few things at each game and let the fans get accustomed to them & add a few each and every game.  Do not throw do much at the fans to absurd at once, let them learn a few things, so you might have to include a priority type of list.  Getting fans to learn & sing the fight song will be the toughest, but we might need the help of PA guy's help on this one or at least provide the words on the score board.
Back to the top

here is how i see it…

we need a three-fold action plan:

I. Methods
II. Material
III. Integration

I. Methods - how to do this… the actual planning part of this… A. where would we meet? a bar? a conference room on campus? this message board? on online chat room? B. what will the plan entail? who NEEDS to be present? who would we LIKE to be present? what will be ironed out? traditions? colors? cheers? which sports? all? football only?

II. Material - after we decide HOW to go about this… we start with the raw material of the meeting… this is where B of part I is gone into depth

III. Integration - simple enough… we set up a plan to physically do this and set out to do it… how will we educate random students and fans? encourage the prOWLers to help with this and expand The Owl Book and use that? create our own book? just spread it by word of mouth?

ideas? thoughts?

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
Control functions: