Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Budget Cuts Continue For FAU

Add topic

Budget Cuts Continue For FAU

We are getting down to the nitty gritty now…things that are not truly needed are being evaluated and forced out…

Hope no one takes offense to this stance, but:

State run administration has never been efficient…folks can argue that lean times are "hard to deal with, etc"…but the fact of the matter is that it forces adminstrators to trim non-needed "fat"…thus making the organization more efficient and less wasteful at core.

Having worked at FAU for 9 years, can personally attest to the fact that there is often alot of it to be trimmed.

We will be out of the woods soon enough - and better for it…but, for now, more lay-offs and staff reductions are coming.

Those lucky to have a reporting administrator with a "pay for performance" management style, as always, need not apply to this procedure…If you produce, and are valuable, you will be kept.

Rant over:

Story
Back to the top

Re: Budget Cuts Continue For FAU

I wouldn't be surprised if they closed off the Treasure Coast campus. No offense to anyone here who might attend but it seems like a waste of resources to me.
Back to the top

One thing that always irked me about FAU, and for that matter the two other schools that I've attended and worked at, are the sprinklers. Like many sprinker systems, hell even the one at my dad's place, they are on timers.

But you need to SHUT THE SPRINKERS OFF when it's raining.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

One thing that always irked me about FAU, and for that matter the two other schools that I've attended and worked at, are the sprinklers. Like many sprinker systems, hell even the one at my dad's place, they are on timers.

:D :D :D

That's great Smitty!
Back to the top

owlcountry said

I wouldn't be surprised if they closed off the Treasure Coast campus. No offense to anyone here who might attend but it seems like a waste of resources to me.

Know very little about this campus…

Care to elaborate a bit more owlcountry??
Back to the top

The Treasure Coast campus is very unique.

I don't know their current student makeup and/or population, but former prOWLer Director Bobby Johnsen is currently a student up there.

They have business and education classes mostly and serve a unique population: those seeking a reasonably-priced public education in Port St. Lucie.

There are a lot of fallbacks from closing a campus. It's not as simple as just locking the doors and shutting off the lights. What do you do with the 500+ students that now have to drive at least an hour to the Jupiter campus to finish their degree - assuming the classes are offered at Jupiter? What do you do with the faculty and staff?

Closing the TC campus is not an option in my opinion.

Also on that campus is the NY Mets  spring training facilities.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

smittysahoot said

:D :D :D

That's great Smitty!

Ha Ha… I remember that back when I was there, I never did understand that.
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

The Treasure Coast campus is very unique.

I don't know their current student makeup and/or population, but former prOWLer Director Bobby Johnsen is currently a student up there.

They have business and education classes mostly and serve a unique population: those seeking a reasonably-priced public education in Port St. Lucie.

There are a lot of fallbacks from closing a campus. It's not as simple as just locking the doors and shutting off the lights. What do you do with the 500+ students that now have to drive at least an hour to the Jupiter campus to finish their degree - assuming the classes are offered at Jupiter? What do you do with the faculty and staff?

Closing the TC campus is not an option in my opinion.

Also on that campus is the NY Mets  spring training facilities.

Just occured to me…with all of the development going on there it should be thriving?

Aa recently as 2005, Port St. Lucie was the fastest growing area in the nation:

US Census Report
Back to the top

Would it be less expensive to hire students to cut the grass around campus than have a contracted company do it? Is that allowed?

Just trying to think outside the box

Back to the top

smittysahoot said

Would it be less expensive to hire students to cut the grass around campus than have a contracted company do it? Is that allowed?

Just trying to think outside the box

I would think the liablility possiblity of injuries ALONE would shoot that down.

But brainstorming is never a bad idea.  ;D

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top
Control functions: