Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Budget Cuts Continue For FAU

Add topic

Re: Budget Cuts Continue For FAU

Budget Cuts Continue For FAU

smittysahoot said

The said

Math & English.  There are still many students whose weaknesses may be in this area (Learning disabilities).  Once you get into college you should not have to be subject to pointless standardized test's.  As long as your are achieving a 2.0 in each class you should be fine.  This exam makes some students frustrated give up on college because they can't pass certain sections of the exam.  It's really a waste of time and resources.

I respectfully disagree.

If you receive a 2.0 in each class… then you don't have to take the CLAST, right? It's only for Math and English below a C. Isn't that accurate?

No, it's a 2.5
Back to the top

If/When the state opens a new university (and I think it will be soon after the economy rebounds, so likely in 5ish years) it will be in Port St. Lucie. Of course the new plan to take large branch campuses and spin them off into their own schools might change that a bit.
Back to the top

chanman said

If/When the state opens a new university (and I think it will be soon after the economy rebounds, so likely in 5ish years) it will be in Port St. Lucie. Of course the new plan to take large branch campuses and spin them off into their own schools might change that a bit.

i doubt the state will open any new universities in the next 20 years, they will probably continue to convert community colleges to 4 year colleges and grow them (i.e. indian river community college to indian river college, which serves port st lucie) existing universities will probably get more research funding and expanded graduate programs
Back to the top

der said

chanman said

i doubt the state will open any new universities in the next 20 years, they will probably continue to convert community colleges to 4 year colleges and grow them (i.e. indian river community college to indian river college, which serves port st lucie) existing universities will probably get more research funding and expanded graduate programs

That seems to be the most likely scenario. Starting a university from scratch is a HUGE undertaking both logistically and financially. It makes far more sense to transition a large community college into a 4 year institution based solely on the existing infrastructure and existing student population.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

The TCPalm put out a story about some of the possible cuts we're considering, including eliminating as many as 24 degree programs in the College of Arts and Letters and 17 degree programs in the College of Business. However, those degree programs have low student enrollment which is why they're being considered.

Full story: http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/mar/30/totally-unprecedented-financial-situation-mean-mor/
Back to the top

owlcountry said

The TCPalm put out a story about some of the possible cuts we're considering, including eliminating as many as 24 degree programs in the College of Arts and Letters and 17 degree programs in the College of Business. However, those degree programs have low student enrollment which is why they're being considered.

Full story: http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/mar/30/totally-unprecedented-financial-situation-mean-mor/

This is nuts, how the hell are they ever gonna get out of this?
Back to the top

The said

This is nuts, how the hell are they ever gonna get out of this?

They = the State of Florida.

Small things can make a big difference. If every person on this board joined both the Owl Club and the FAUNAA, that would help to start a domino effect. Example: 500 people join the Owl Club at the $100 level and the FAUNAA at the $40 level. That's $50,000 to athletics and $20,000 to alumni. Then, that money can be spent in those areas and they would use fewer dollars from other places… thus freeing up money.

Part of this problem, at least in my mind, is quite diaphanous: the more fans and alumni donate to the school (the Annual Fund, join FAUNAA and the Owl Club, donate to academic programs), the more money they have to spend.

With that said, no school can solely rely on alumni and fans to fund a university or a program. However, I think in general, our alumni and fans should become more involved with giving back - even $10 a month.

I'm off my soap box now  :D

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Being up in Gator in 'Nole land, even FSU athletics (and most of the ACC) is hurting with the economy and cut backs; and they have several generations of fans and donors.
At least its not just the "little" schools in the state.
Back to the top

Back to the top

ANOTHER great article by the Sentinal! FIU wants to raise tuition above UF, FAU to the same level as UF, that is from the article! So how does FAU get put into this false headline with FIU? >:(
What the HECK is going on at the Sentinal that that are disparaging FAU so often now?

FAU alums, get involved NOW! Write the editors of the Sentinal NOW! WE have to stop this FAU bashing trend NOW!
Back to the top
Control functions: