Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

"University Boulevard"

Add topic

Re: "University Boulevard"

"University Boulevard"

Humble beginnings are part of what makes FAU so great. Many of us here often wax poetic about how it was when we were there, getting to see the school grow right before our own eyes, the birth of the football team, additions of new colleges…those are experiences that kids at UF don't get to have.

Going back to 20th st in 20 years will be awesome if everything is new but the Dunkin Donuts on the corner!
Back to the top

Boca may be changing but not for FAU.  How many college students can afford $25 movie tickets to see a movie at iPic or a $200 dinner at lobster chop house or trulucks.  Sorry to say but BOca will never become a "College town."  There are way too many Boca residents in the higher power that will not allow that to happen. 
Back to the top

Jab979 said

For the old schoolers…If you wanted to go to a bar it was either Fridays or Wishing Well

Blast(s) from the Past:

Dirty Moe's nickle beer night!

(Natural light in the keg, but hey…it was college!)

Club Boca Thursdays!

(500 people in line to get in unless you knew Tye!)
Back to the top

Haha Natty Light!

We used to go to Surf Cafe for nickel drafts or Nippers for $1 pitchers on Thursdays. Needless to say I never made those Friday classes lol

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

Going back to 20th st in 20 years will be awesome if everything is new but the Dunkin Donuts on the corner!

Sad part is I remember when that was  WUVs Hamburgers before Dunkin Donuts,  great fries!

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

TeamBeer said

Sad part is I remember when that was  WUVs Hamburgers before Dunkin Donuts,  great fries!

Yes, Wuvs. That place goes back to the 70s.  I drove by with my wife showing her the area and noticed it was Dunkin Donuts. Hadn't been by there for many years. I don't get down there enough but my wife loves the area so maybe I'll get a chance more often.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Jab979 said

For the old schoolers such Rick, TeamBeer, and myself (among many others I'm sure), when we went to FAU there wasn't even a duffy's near the mall, there was no muvico or cinemark whatever you want to call it and certainly nothing to do in mizner except for the movies and expensive restaurants. If you wanted to go to a bar it was either Fridays or Wishing Well

So in due time. Like Owl2Doc said these things take time. Look at this area now. Mizner has Dubliner and a new movie theater and this weekend they are opening up a Yardhouse. There's a duffy's in Deerfield and on St. Andrews by the mall.

Slowly but surely Boca is starting to change for the better but it's going to take time

The Irishmen on 2nd, between University (I'll just start calling 20th St, University from now on) and Glades, is a big spot for students.  O Brian's, Biergarten, the Well, Funky Biscuit, Spin, all in the Mizner and Downtown areas have nights when the whole place is filled by FAU students.
I just love it how the Greek students are less likely to transfer away from FAU, but are also the ones that make the majority of students that are fans of athletics, and are the ones that embrace the night life in Boca, helping it change to a college town like atmosphere.  With the growth of Greek life, I can only assume that retention, student support of athletics, and an acceleration of East Boca's transition will also grow, giving more need for FAU's very own "Downtown."
But for the love of everything holy, no body goes to Nippers any more.
Back to the top

HootinHollerin said

HAHAHA! I wouldn't go in there anymore either

Back to the top

Jab979 said

HootinHollerin said

HAHAHA! I wouldn't go in there anymore either

What's up with that place??

I went their a couple times way back in the day for the "2:00 a.m. post other places" late night run…

But last time I drove by, noticed it's open until 5:00 AM now?!

Back to the top

After Hours bar I guess. I know most places in Boca close at 2 , so if you're not done drinking and don't mind sitting in a dive bar, they're open until 5

Back to the top
Control functions: