Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The New Dorm (Parliament Hall)

Add topic

Re: The New Dorm

The New Dorm

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Thanks Rick!

HootinHollerin said

I am disappointed that the new dorm will be just 4 floors, meaning it'll only be a year until we need new dorms again.  ::)

Oh, this reminds me… GeorgiaOwl was talking about a phase 2 of this project bringing another 600 beds in 2014. Not sure if that's the case or if they're just going to take this 600-bed project and have 300 beds built for Fall 2013 and the other 300 beds in Fall 2014. I believe they did something similar with IRT, right… the east wing was added on a year later…?

HootinHollerin said

It also would've been nice if it could be closer to the Housing Lawn.

Agreed. But it's still within walking distance.

HootinHollerin said

Maybe tearing down Gonk, building up (because of the limited space over there) to 8 or 9 floors, and put a few floors of parking garage under it (much like what UCF and FIU have done).

I've heard various things about that. Some people say FAU wants to tear it down and build a new tower there (which I support). Other people say that since it's paid off and 100% occupied, it's the only residential building that is completely profitable, so FAU isn't exactly thrilled about the concept of tearing it down now to go back in debt on another $30M+ building. Furthermore, I think SGA put forward a resolution to list it as a "historical place" to save it from being torn down. Remember, it is the only remaining building of the original dorms (Modoc, Seminole, Timucua, etc)

The parking garage as the first few floors is actually a really good idea and I'm not sure why FAU hasn't done it unless 4 floors of parking garage + 6-8 stories of dorms may be too tall and thus in conflict with the airport being so close. That would be my only guess. They might be able to get around it on the east side of campus over by UVA if they ever build more dorms over there (a previous Master Plan showed IVA-style towers south of UVA).

What I'd like to see is this: now that Engineering has moved across campus, they're going to remodel the old engineering building. They could conceivably push that lawn/outdoor workshop space on the south side up to the building and build residential student-only parking. That would alleviate the furor that will be caused when the library parking lot shrinks to become a pocket park (something they talk about because they want to eliminate traffic in the "campus core", but who knows if they'll ever do it).

The creation of a parking lot south of the old engineering building would also help a ton on Move-In Day each August because you could have all the people moving into GPT and Algonquin go there instead.

But I've heard all sorts of crazy things over the years, like that they wanted to connect the second floor of the Student Union to the Breezeway, that they wanted to enclose the Breezeway with glass and make it air-conditioned, and so on. Never know until it shows up on campus, really.
Back to the top

I would love for FAU to get rod of that little parking lot in front of the Library!  Turning it into a park for leisure and tailgates would be great!  West Engineers still holds many classes, but I wished they took that down for the new dorm instead of the current location south of the parking garage by A&L.  Also, I'm looking forward to the day when we ask back the PBSC buildings on the North side of campus, and then add buildings where Lot 6 is, just North of the Stadium to connect the North part to the main part of campus.  If FAU would do traditional style Greek housing, instead of IVA style, Lot 6 would be the best location for them.
Sucks I won't be able to see this campus at it's full potential until I leave.
Back to the top

FOUR people in 625 SQ FT of living space??

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Seems a bit tight to me!

Back to the top

Rick said

FOUR people in 625 SQ FT of living space??

Seems a bit tight to me!

I think it is good to have different options for different budgets.  It seems like we will be able to offer something for just about every budget after a few more years including some of the off campus housing.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

HootinHollerin said

West Engineers still holds many classes, but I wished they took that down for the new dorm instead of the current location south of the parking garage by A&L.

The problem is that FAU is short on "general education" buildings like GN, GS, FH. Not sure about now with the $30M cut but in the past they've wanted to offer more classes but didn't physically have the space. That's another reason why they were happy to move the Engineering department (which has been very successful and deserves its own building) somewhere else so that the old Engineering building could become general education classroom space.

HootinHollerin said

Also, I'm looking forward to the day when we ask back the PBSC buildings on the North side of campus

Don't hold your breath on that one. It's a nice idea, and the right move once FAU becomes so large there's no more space to build except northward, but reclaiming those buildings would take a lot of money and effort. Now, if PBSC was trying to reduce its number of campuses, it would be one thing. But I believe that's the second most successful PBSC campus (after the main campus) so I just don't see it happening for a long time.

HootinHollerin said

If FAU would do traditional style Greek housing, instead of IVA style, Lot 6 would be the best location for them.

I didn't know the numbers - do students really know the numbers? - so I had to look it up. I think you mean Lot 5, north of the stadium, since Lot 6 is just west of the Alumni Center.

I'm not 100% but my understanding is that Lot 5 (or that general area) will be home to the Greek Housing. The "problem" is the Owl Preserve there on one side and the Other Preserve on the opposite side. If you build anything over there, you're going to have to cut into one, but at least Lot 5 will be sufficient for parking.

Personally I wanted to see the traditional Greek houses along the south side of Indian River Street east of Brevard Court. Seemed like a perfect setup, though not sure if there was sufficient parking space.

In any case, FAU wants it near the stadium, so that's where it will go.
Back to the top

We do need more general ed classrooms, so I understand the move to keep Engineering West.  Most of my basic, gen ed, classes have either been in the A&L complex or in BU.  Thank you for straighting out Lot 5 from Lot 6.  Most students don't know  the numbers, so we just use titles for them.  Arts & Letters parking garage, Library parking garage UC/Student Union parking lot, IRT lot, Burrow lot, IVA, Henderson, BU, Rec lots, BFE (for the res. lot all the way by the A&L garage).  The place for Greek housing will be IVA Phase 2, just West of the Stadium, and it will be IVA style.  We're looking at 2015 now, so let's keep our fingers crossed that it'll actually happen.
I've always thought that the area South of Indian River St was going to be a part of Boca Hospital, but those plans were made right before the economy collapsed.  I also recall a couple of the proposed locations for this new dorm was just South of Indian River St.  So we'll see what happens to that stretch of land.
Back to the top

After this latest dorm is completed, what will be the number of beds on campus?

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Progressive growth is always good.
Back to the top

Rick said

Owl2Doc said

(Maybe Rick can peel them off and make them into a more reasonable size here - I don't know the HTML for resizing images using the IMG tags)

Per your request…

It almost looks like an updated Timucua Hall can't find a picture to compare.

Back to the top
Control functions: