Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The New Dorm (Parliament Hall)

Add topic

Re: The New Dorm

The New Dorm

Boozie is right… it does kinda look like Timucua.

illinoisowl said

After this latest dorm is completed, what will be the number of beds on campus?

Assuming it's roughly 600 students, then the total on-campus resident population at 100% capacity would be 4,262.

Currently 3,662:

HPT 602
GPT 602
IRT 604
UVA 528
IVA 1,216
ALGONQUIN 94
BPW 16
Back to the top

Another 60 heads at the hoops contest...nice!
Back to the top

It must be a generational thing. I lived in what we called dorm 6. It is the old dorm still standing. Yes it was cramped. The common area in each suite was just desks. At that time we were allowed to put lofts in the bed rooms. I lived in one of those rooms. We had a nice living room set up below the loft. That made it more bearable. most didn't have lofts but few complained. I visited some FSU dorms back in the day, Cash Hall (off campus). That place was a mess.

The campus did clear out quite a bit on the weekend but there was still plenty of people who could not go home, like myself (north Florida). Quite a few out of state students.

I really never heard any complaints about the dorms. The biggest and newest dorm (we called dorm 21) was the nicest. It was a women's dorm. It was torn down several years ago. I was caught numerous times sneaking out after hours or too early in the morning.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

And when IVA Phase II and the second new freshman dorm are done we will be over 6000. Nice!
Back to the top

If this was already posted, I apologize…pretty cool "tour tool" they have on the Housing site:

Take A 360 Virtual Tour of Housing Options @ FAU

But dang are those apartment bedrooms small!

Back to the top

Told you. Kennels.

I get that students are happy to finally have their own space away from their parents
and they know a dorm is traditionally always small
but
we can do better.

IVA's a step in the right direction though. Dig the kitchen and the wood paneling floors. And of course the amenities are awesome. That pool is really nice and was the point of some contention because the Rec Center didn't want to detract from the pool they built.
Back to the top

Study, sleep, bathe and get out of your room, go to the library, class, eat and then  and meet people and have fun is the idea! Not to be a feakin' hermit many kids want to be.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Study, sleep, bathe and get out of your room, go to the library, class, eat and then…

Touch all four walls of your room while sitting on your bed??

Smell what your roommate had for dinner when they light it up at 2:00 AM and you are awakened??

Totally on board with getting out, but an 8x10 room is just about what we, the taxpayers, give a convicted felon!

:D

Back to the top

FWIW

They've started construction on the new dorm. Those of you who were at the July 4th Celebration saw the construction fences and moved dirt just east of Parking Garage 2. I thought it was going to go south of the parking garage…

Come to think of it, they may just be clearing the space so they can pour the concrete mold for the tilt'n'pour walls that they always put in these dorms. So that just may be the work space and the dorm may still be south of PG2.

I guess time will tell.
Back to the top

It's the new parking garage…not the new dorm.
Back to the top
Control functions: