Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Diehard Blog - FAU development, news, rumors and photos

Add topic

Re: FAU Diehard Blog - FAU development, news, rumors and photos

FAU Diehard Blog - FAU development, news, rumors and photos

And the Boca demograhics are changing and getting younger every year.

I drove my family around Boca when we were in town for the game, through both "old" Boca, what I call east of I-95 and "new" Boca, west of I-95. The fact is that the school itself is located in the older side BUT being contiguous to I-95 is very accesable to both. The trafffic on the west side is much higher and much more family oriented and THAT is where our future lies, in the familes of Boca.

When I went to FAU in the late 70's there was no Boca West and when is was built it was thought to be a crazy idea and located out in the middle of nowhere by itself. Now development surrounds it and stretches miles past Boca West and even 441.

It made me very proud to show off the current Boca and FAU which is SO MUCH improved from my years there to my family and they were very impressed by it. And the campus itself is VERY nice now, SO MUCH improved form the old days with weeds and scrub and the many runways and taxiways and aprons from the old Boca Army Airfield dominating the landscape. And with the Stadium, Arene, Dorms and manty new academic buildings (Colleges) it was a pleasure to see and experience.
Back to the top

Jab979 said

"Ergo, on a given weekday, there are up to 41,000 college students in Boca Raton."

That's crazy! Never really thought about that until I read what you wrote.

Love reading your blog. Gets me really excited for what this place will look like in a few years. Great stuff!
And in the morning I will be one of those 41,000 students in Boca Raton. lol.  Good blog posting Doc. The mayor is right though, with the property values tanked, younger people are sucking up real estate like its cool as older people and retires move away or their families sell the property. This is the time to make our case for expansion, and buying of properties around the community.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I drove my family around Boca when we were in town for the game, through both "old" Boca, what I call east of I-95 and "new" Boca, west of I-95. The fact is that the school itself is located in the older side BUT being contiguous to I-95 is very accessible to both. The traffic on the west side is much higher and much more family oriented and THAT is where our future lies, in the families of Boca.

Interesting idea. You obviously know a little bit more about the history of the area than I do.

I agree that the west side is for families. With the exception of some things on Spanish River Blvd near the new library, I don't think FAU or Boca Raton needs any student-centric development west of I-95. Those are expensive communities, golf courses, public parks, the mall… not that you don't find stuff like that on the east side of 95, just think it should be preserved that way on the west side.

What I do like is the single family homes along Dixie Highway out where my sister lives, just northeast of 20th Street. They're a mixture of duplexes and older homes. Not sure how much those are going for but they strike me as good places for alumni/young professionals to start out and yet still be near campus. Know a couple people that do that now, actually.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

GeorgiaOwl said

I drove my family around Boca when we were in town for the game, through both "old" Boca, what I call east of I-95 and "new" Boca, west of I-95. The fact is that the school itself is located in the older side BUT being contiguous to I-95 is very accessible to both. The traffic on the west side is much higher and much more family oriented and THAT is where our future lies, in the families of Boca.

Interesting idea. You obviously know a little bit more about the history of the area than I do.

I agree that the west side is for families. With the exception of some things on Spanish River Blvd near the new library, I don't think FAU or Boca Raton needs any student-centric development west of I-95. Those are expensive communities, golf courses, public parks, the mall… not that you don't find stuff like that on the east side of 95, just think it should be preserved that way on the west side.

What I do like is the single family homes along Dixie Highway out where my sister lives, just northeast of 20th Street. They're a mixture of duplexes and older homes. Not sure how much those are going for but they strike me as good places for alumni/young professionals to start out and yet still be near campus. Know a couple people that do that now, actually.

Is that you nice way of saying I am older thasn you? Ha ha!

I don't want FAU to expand physically that way, just have a prescence in marketing to the families of West Boca, get them involved in the school either in classes for the parents, attending games and on-campus functions, and hope their children WANT TO attend FAU at their time!

FAU HAS TO become the college of Boca and Palm Beach and even Broward Counties - NOT UM or FIU!
Back to the top

Strengthening our academic reputation - what makes for a "good school", where we're at and a couple suggestions of how we can improve our standing. A little longer than the others.

Tomorrow's will be up earlier. It's about the Capital Improvement Plan.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Strengthening our academic reputation - what makes for a "good school", where we're at and a couple suggestions of how we can improve our standing. A little longer than the others.

Tomorrow's will be up earlier. It's about the Capital Improvement Plan.

How many of these are you making?

I really enjoy reading them, but aren't you going to run out of things?

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

NJOWL said

How many of these are you making?

I really enjoy reading them, but aren't you going to run out of things?

That's a very good question and the answer is that I don't really know.

At a daily pace, I could burn through most of my list in the next two weeks. I can't keep up that pace. If I slow that down to like once a week, I could stretch it out more, at least til January.  Eventually I'll hit my limit and have to push away from the table, only updating when something comes up.

For now I'm enjoying writing it so it's coming out daily.
Back to the top

I think you are doing great and have saved it to my favorites! Keep it up, very well written, illustrated and thought out!
Back to the top

This blog is fantastic! I'm glad to see my "riots in the Breezeway" image is still getting some good use.

Regarding topics, I would really enjoy construction updates… new dorms, Innovation Village, etc., even if it's just a quick post.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I think you are doing great and have saved it to my favorites! Keep it up, very well written, illustrated and thought out!

+ 1! I have also saved it to my favorites.

I know you're not doing it for number but I imagine you get a good number of hits a day. You have some great stuff, always enjoy reading what you have to say

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top
Control functions: