Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: UCF vs. FAU- 12/03/13 @ 7:00 PM

Add topic

What UCF (3-2) vs. FAU (1-6)

When Tuesday, December 3rd @ 7:00 PM

Where Here

TV None

Live Video Here

Radio ESPN 106.3

Live Stats Here

Knight’s Site Here

Probable Starters:

UCF

G Calvin Newell 18.2 ppg
G Staphon Blair 4.2 ppg
G Isaiah Sykes 15.0 ppg
F Tristan Spurlock 12.0 ppg
F Kasey Wilson 11.8 ppg

FAU

G Marquan Botley 5.0 ppg
G Jackson Trapp 10.0 ppg
G Pablo Bertone 17.0 ppg
F Justin Raffington 7.9 ppg  
C Dragan Sekelja 8.7 ppg

The Series:

The two teams have had multiple match ups over the years, while UCF has the advantage 9-5 . The squads met last in 2006 when the Knights routed the Owls 87-65. FAU missed 35 of their first 45 shots in that contest.

UCF at a Glance

Central Florida is led by a pair of senior guards Isaiah Sykes and Calvin Newell. The Knights backcourt is the majority of their offense compiling nearly half of the teams scoring per game (34.2).

After transferring from Oklahoma in 2011-12, Calvin Newell is settling into a more prominent role entering his second season with UCF, not only leading the team in scoring with 18.2 points per game but in steals (2.0) and assists (4.0).

Sykes approaches his senior year as a preseason second team all-AAC after finishing 2012-13 season leading his team in points, assists, steals and turnovers. The senior is now scoring 15.0 points per game and has 17 turnovers on the season on the season.

Senior forward Tristan Spurlock leads the Knights in rebounds racking up 39 this year through the first five games and accounting for the team’s only double-double against Miami. The team’s big man is also lethal at the free throw line shooting an impressive .778 this year.

Junior forward Kasey Wilson is controling the post with six blocks and 32 rebounds this season, Wilson showed promising numbers in the teams loss to Florida State connecting on four three-pointers and three blocks.

UCF enters its 4th year with head coach Donnie Jones, and are looking to make their first tournament appearance since 2005.

The Knights travel to south Florida after a double-digit loss to Valparaiso last Tuesday.

FAU at a Glance

The Owls come into Tuesday’s match up after having going winless in the 2K Sports Classic last weekend.

After a 33-point blow out by Detroit, the team fought hard against Stony Brook and took a late lead in the second period only to drop it in the final minutes and anchor their second loss of the tournament. The next day the Owls would face another 30-point defeat from Toledo, who leads the Mid American Conference West division.

Senior guard Pablo Bertone continued to show his reliability posting an impressive career high of 29 points against Toledo, and we caught glimpses of the former Jackson Trapp who lit up Ave Maria towards the end of the tournament.

Trapp posted a team high 20 point against Stony Brook, and 14 points and seven rebounds in the Toledo game. But he's also had moments of being basically non existent within the offense. Jarvis chalks this up to not being assertive enough at times, and would like to see the tandem account for more tries down the line.

"He's been really, really, working", said Jarvis in praise of the Trapp. "He and Pablo have to score for us, and the only way they are going to score is when they shoot the ball.  Whether they are missing or not, they have to shoot the ball if we are going to have a chance to be successful".

Center Dragan Sekelja was limited to under 20 minutes in both the Detroit and the Toledo game and production showed putting together only 13 points and 10 rebounds in the two games. Although in Saturday’s matchup against Stony Brook Sekelja was played his average time, 29 minutes, and posted career high in rebounds with 17 and racked up nine points.

"He wasn't feeling great, but we're getting to that time were nobody is going to be 100%", Jarvis said. "You've got to be able to play whether you're feeling good or not."

FAU’s point guard play is continuing to develop as the season goes on. Freshman guard D’Andre Johnson had eight points in the Detroit game and nine the next day against Stony Brook. Despite the performance, Marquan Botley got the start the final two games and split time with Johnson.

"I'm waiting for one of the, or both of them to say 'I want that job, and I'm going to show you that it's mine', but that hasn't happened", commented Jarvis.

FAU enters Tuesday’s game against the Knights on a six game losing streak, their longest since 2008-09 when the Owls dropped 13 straight. Snapping the skid could be tough against a well rounded Knight roster.

"They've (UCF) got some guys with a lot of talent, and a lot of different guys that can score", Jarvis said. "It's going to be about team offense and defense against them".

Getting to the line more would also be a welcomed addition, as the Owls set season lows for both free throws (8) and rebounds (32) against Toledo.

Current Line

UCF -10

Owls Nest Prediction

Though the Owls are on a six game losing streak they have had a week off to get healthy and prepare for a UCF team that has only dropped losses to a (5-2) FSU team who played no.11 Florida to a one point game, and a (5-4) veteran led Valparaiso. FAU's young guards will have to contain the Knight's experienced backcourt. At the end of the night we think the Knights will be too much for the Owls, though maybe a home crowd could bring the struggling squad out of their funk.

UCF -11+

I love dropkicks and fat guy touchdowns.

Twitter: @jakobsansom
Back to the top

I wonder how UCF is gonna feel when they see us do our free throw chant?  :Big-Grin:
Back to the top

teambeer said

I wonder how UCF is gonna feel when they see us do our free throw chant?  :Big-Grin:

Posted On: Dec 3rd 2013, 7:13 AM #323010

You mean the chant stolen from UCF. 
Back to the top

Guest said

teambeer said

Posted On: Dec 3rd 2013, 7:13 AM #323010

You mean the chant stolen from UCF. 
Posted On: Dec 3rd 2013, 12:46 PM #323024
yea because UCF invented it….

Back to the top

Tonights Starting Lineups

UCF

G Calvin Newell
G Staphon Blair
G Isaiah Sykes  
F Tristan Spurlock  
F Kasey Wilson

FAU

G Marquan Botley
G Jackson Trapp
G Pablo Bertone
F Kelvin Penn
C Dragan Sekelja

Back to the top

Tip off is almost underway.

The Owls are in all red tonight.

Back to the top

And we are off Pablo Bertone on the board first for the Owls.

Jackson Trapp with a chance for two at the stripe but goes 0-2

FAU 2  UCF  2

18:14

Back to the top

Trapp redeems himself with a quick shot to put FAU up 4-3

Back to the top

Nice start from the Owls!

That's the team effort Jarvis was looking for pregame…
Back to the top

Media Stop

16:41

Pablo Bertone off to his usual start putting up 4 for the Owls.

FAU 8 UCF 8

Back to the top
Control functions: