Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Potential Head Coaching Candidates to Replace Jarvis

Add topic

Rick said

“There’s so few head coaching jobs out there,” McCall said. “It’s in the Conference USA. Who doesn’t like to live in Boca Raton? It’s a great place to live and I think there’s an enormous amount of talent in this state, mid-major players, high-major minus players, with the right talent … and we proved it when we were down there in winning the Sun Belt, you get the right group of guys and we did it predominantly with kids from the state of Florida, you can win.”

"This business is a cutthroat business,” McCall said. “When we were down there we had a tremendous amount of success and were able to win a conference title there. He’s always been very, very good to me and I’m very grateful to coach for the chance he gave me when I was coming off being director of basketball operations here at Florida. I wish him nothing but the best.”

McCall yet to be contacted by FAU
Posted On: Mar 20th 2014, 2:44 PM #330061

I doubt he will be the guy but I think he would be perfect.
Back to the top

I think Chun is likely aiming for someone with a little more experience than McCall.  We saw in the football hire, that head coach experience wasn't a must, but I think it could be in this case.  Unlike football which has a lot of the infrastructure in place, the basketball job is a fairly difficult one.  I'd like to see us target someone who has done it before, preferably on this level.
Back to the top

Welp, OSU's assistant coaches are now free to interview!
Back to the top

teambeer said

Welp, OSU's assistant coaches are now free to interview!

Posted On: Mar 20th 2014, 4:35 PM #330065

+1  

:Laughing:

I love dropkicks and fat guy touchdowns.

Twitter: @jakobsansom
Back to the top

Back to the top

FWIW his head coaching record via Wikipedia:

Tulane Green Wave (Conference USA) (2005–2010)
Season    Team    Overall    Conference    Standing    Postseason

2005-06    Tulane    12-17    6-8                T-6th    
2006-07    Tulane    17-13    9-7                T-4th    
2007-08    Tulane    17-15    6-10              T-7th    
2008-09    Tulane    14-17    7-9                T-6th    
2009-10    Tulane    8-21    3-13                11th    

Tulane:    71-85    31-40    
Total:    71-85    
Back to the top

Dickerson seems like a pretty good candidate.  He has HC experience and has served under some really good head coaches (Thad Matta and Gary Williams).  Obviously, things didn't end well at Tulane for him, but for this job, you are likely looking at an inexperienced assistant or someone getting a second chance at running a program.  Everyone assumed Chun would focus on OSU employees for the football search and that ended up not being the case so it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.  
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Dickerson seems like a pretty good candidate.  He has HC experience and has served under some really good head coaches (Thad Matta and Gary Williams).  Obviously, things didn't end well at Tulane for him, but for this job, you are likely looking at an inexperienced assistant or someone getting a second chance at running a program.  Everyone assumed Chun would focus on OSU employees for the football search and that ended up not being the case so it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.  
Posted On: Mar 21st 2014, 11:16 PM #330111

Yeah he had TWO winning seasons as a head coach!!!  The fan base would turn on him before December…So sources say the search is centered around Dickerson.  I think we have learned from the football coach search that Chun doesn't talk about what he is thinking and he doesn't feel obligated to go to OSU.  I don't believe the report.
Back to the top

We could be waiting for teams to get eliminated as well to get this search in full gear 
Back to the top

Tim FAU98 said

fauowls44 said

Posted On: Mar 21st 2014, 11:16 PM #330111

Yeah he had TWO winning seasons as a head coach!!!  The fan base would turn on him before December…So sources say the search is centered around Dickerson.  I think we have learned from the football coach search that Chun doesn't talk about what he is thinking and he doesn't feel obligated to go to OSU.  I don't believe the report.
Posted On: Mar 21st 2014, 11:40 PM #330112

And Mike Jarvis had only 1 losing season in his career before he got here…how much good did that do us?  Every job is different and I'm not going to hold someone's first head job against them, especially if they weren't a complete disaster.  Also, I think it's worth noting that he was head coach at Tulane during/post-Hurricane Katrina.  It couldn't be easy to get players to commit during that time.  We saw it in the Sun Belt where UNO was greatly impacted by how the New Orleans area was effected by the aftermath of the storm.

Like you, given how quiet Chun keeps these things, I'm not convinced that there won't be other candidates or if this report is entirely accurate.  However, since Dickerson is the first name we've heard connected to the job, I am just evaluating him off his resume.  Knowing nothing else about him besides what I read online, I'd have no issue with him getting the job if Chun thinks he's the guy.  He's worked for 2 great head coaches and 2 elite programs.  He's run a CUSA program.  On paper, he ticks a lot of the boxes you would look for in someone to lead the Owls.
Back to the top
Control functions: