Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU AD Pat Chun Interviews at Illinois

Add topic

Since we are kind of on the topic of fund raising, I have to admit I am kind of confused.  I am not sure the university even needs my money.  The most recent campaign for faculty and staff has started without a stated goal.  The foundation has been without a permanent professional head since June 2013.   We lost so much talent in key positions during a troubled period and just haven't replaced it.   I just am not sure how serious they are.  I even told my wife that if I won the MegaBall lottery, I would have to really consider how much would go to the school because I am not sure that they could handle a huge windfall.

I guess  that was a little bit facetious.   What I do know is that programs and efforts are starving for funds and I don't see any movement or progress in getting the job done.  I really just can't believe it.

I just have to hope and assume that things are happening behind the scenes.  Go Owls!!
Back to the top

I take it the UF guy who was the head left for greener pastures… I'm sure it was also difficult to fundraise when the university botched one bad news story after another under Saunders.

The university can't cry about not getting donations if you don't even have the people to manage the donations.

As an aside my sister got a call from FAU asking about her program, how it's going and how to improve the program and then tried to hit her up for $300 before downshiftong into $150. My sister, who "went and got my degree and I'm out" gives excuses that she has no money to give but deep down she doesn't care to give. She even posted about it on FB and her friends commented saying FAU nickel and dimed them for everything, there was nowhere to park, they didn't feel like the university helped them get a job, etc. A lot of silly whining but that's what we're dealing with here.

Maybe helps explain why most of the good donations come from people who never went here.
Back to the top

David Slavic said

From what I understand, the SGA and Greek Council have been pretty vocal in their frustrations.
Posted On: Feb 16th 2016, 1:36 PM #354674

Good.

That might be another reason he's trying to get out, before he gets canned.

Back to the top

owl2Doc said

I take it the UF guy who was the head left for greener pastures… I'm sure it was also difficult to fundraise when the university botched one bad news story after another under Saunders.

The university can't cry about not getting donations if you don't even have the people to manage the donations.

As an aside my sister got a call from FAU asking about her program, how it's going and how to improve the program and then tried to hit her up for $300 before downshiftong into $150. My sister, who "went and got my degree and I'm out" gives excuses that she has no money to give but deep down she doesn't care to give. She even posted about it on FB and her friends commented saying FAU nickel and dimed them for everything, there was nowhere to park, they didn't feel like the university helped them get a job, etc. A lot of silly whining but that's what we're dealing with here.

Maybe helps explain why most of the good donations come from people who never went here.

Posted On: Feb 16th 2016, 5:23 PM #354677

I believe Mr. Schmidt was an FAU alum.  What you described about your sister is a Millennial problem, they believe everything should be for free.  Florida in-state tuition is one of the best in the nation even with our high athletic fee.  Parking is a problem on every large and small university in the country.  If they built the number of parking garages that the students want, they would then start complaining that there are no green spaces on campuses.
Back to the top

OC Irritant said

owl2Doc said

Posted On: Feb 16th 2016, 5:23 PM #354677

I believe Mr. Schmidt was an FAU alum.  What you described about your sister is a Millennial problem, they believe everything should be for free.  Florida in-state tuition is one of the best in the nation even with our high athletic fee.  Parking is a problem on every large and small university in the country.  If they built the number of parking garages that the students want, they would then start complaining that there are no green spaces on campuses.

Posted On: Feb 16th 2016, 8:46 PM #354679

Half the people bi$&ch when FAU asks for money and they other half bi$&ch when they don't ask for money, ridiculous.

I love this board…cheap entertainment.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

No dice for Chun…

Back to the top

Rick said

No dice for Chun…

Posted On: Feb 16th 2016, 9:05 PM #354681

Well, that puts that to bed. Thanks for posting Rick.
Back to the top

:Win:

I have never fundraised, so my perspective is green and unfounded.  That being said, if I were in charge of these campaigns…South Florida much like Los Angeles, New York, etc. is the whose who when it comes to money.  People like to spend it but more than that they like others to know they have it.

Would have to think about my exact approach…but I would definetly angle in rich circles "who wants to show they are the biggest and baddest by having a football stadium in Boca Raton named after themselves"?  Or an indoor practice facility, academic center, etc.

Personally, I cant believe some wealthy narcissit hasn't already given the $800k or whatever per year to have thier names in big letters.  I would go to the HOA meetings where the wealthy people live and call them out.  Not joking.  Somebody would take it as a challenge and pay, I'd bet on it.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Rick said

No dice for Chun…

Posted On: Feb 16th 2016, 9:05 PM #354681

Well, that puts that to bed. Thanks for posting Rick.
 I believe it's just getting started.
Back to the top

Either way there has to be a way to change things done at the department of athletics. I hope for a change in marketing strategy and a evaluation by the President at the end of the year of the athletic year. But that is just me.
Back to the top
Control functions: