Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU AD Pat Chun Interviews at Illinois

Add topic

OC Irritant said

owl2Doc said

I take it the UF guy who was the head left for greener pastures… I'm sure it was also difficult to fundraise when the university botched one bad news story after another under Saunders.

The university can't cry about not getting donations if you don't even have the people to manage the donations.

As an aside my sister got a call from FAU asking about her program, how it's going and how to improve the program and then tried to hit her up for $300 before downshiftong into $150. My sister, who "went and got my degree and I'm out" gives excuses that she has no money to give but deep down she doesn't care to give. She even posted about it on FB and her friends commented saying FAU nickel and dimed them for everything, there was nowhere to park, they didn't feel like the university helped them get a job, etc. A lot of silly whining but that's what we're dealing with here.

Maybe helps explain why most of the good donations come from people who never went here.

Posted On: Feb 16th 2016, 5:23 PM #354677

I believe Mr. Schmidt was an FAU alum.  What you described about your sister is a Millennial problem, they believe everything should be for free.  Florida in-state tuition is one of the best in the nation even with our high athletic fee.  Parking is a problem on every large and small university in the country.  If they built the number of parking garages that the students want, they would then start complaining that there are no green spaces on campuses.

Posted On: Feb 16th 2016, 8:46 PM #354679
100 percent agree with this.
As someone who is part of this generation we/they are a whining bunch.
For example many FAU students complained that FAU wasn't like FSU or UF, without relizing they have the power to make it like that overnight.
If you supported went out and were active you would create that atmosphere.
They expected the school to bring that experience and just go for the ride not having the vision that they could create for themselves.
"Oh FAU football sucks" well what have you done to help?
Donate? Stayed until the 4th, so you can make a little more noise on that big third down?
As for students complain get they were nickel and dimed, they made the choice to go to college it's not a secret it's expensive.
Please stop complaining you spent thousands of dollars and only decided to get some liberal arts degree and can't find a job where you make a decent wage in a few years. 
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

OC Irritant said

owl2Doc said

I take it the UF guy who was the head left for greener pastures… I'm sure it was also difficult to fundraise when the university botched one bad news story after another under Saunders.

The university can't cry about not getting donations if you don't even have the people to manage the donations.

As an aside my sister got a call from FAU asking about her program, how it's going and how to improve the program and then tried to hit her up for $300 before downshiftong into $150. My sister, who "went and got my degree and I'm out" gives excuses that she has no money to give but deep down she doesn't care to give. She even posted about it on FB and her friends commented saying FAU nickel and dimed them for everything, there was nowhere to park, they didn't feel like the university helped them get a job, etc. A lot of silly whining but that's what we're dealing with here.

Maybe helps explain why most of the good donations come from people who never went here.

I believe Mr. Schmidt was an FAU alum.  What you described about your sister is a Millennial problem, they believe everything should be for free.  Florida in-state tuition is one of the best in the nation even with our high athletic fee.  Parking is a problem on every large and small university in the country.  If they built the number of parking garages that the students want, they would then start complaining that there are no green spaces on campuses.
100 percent agree with this.
As someone who is part of this generation we/they are a whining bunch.
For example many FAU students complained that FAU wasn't like FSU or UF, without relizing they have the power to make it like that overnight.
If you supported went out and were active you would create that atmosphere.
They expected the school to bring that experience and just go for the ride not having the vision that they could create for themselves.
"Oh FAU football sucks" well what have you done to help?
Donate? Stayed until the 4th, so you can make a little more noise on that big third down?
As for students complain get they were nickel and dimed, they made the choice to go to college it's not a secret it's expensive.
Please stop complaining you spent thousands of dollars and only decided to get some liberal arts degree and can't find a job where you make a decent wage in a few years. 

Posted On: Feb 17th 2016, 12:00 AM #354686

I agree with this. When I was in undergrad, I made it point to get involved and made some great friends, graduated with honors, etc. and accomplished way more at FAU than I ever would at a school like Florida State. Like you guys said, you have to make the experience and not just expect it to come. Some of my fondest memories are in the burrow/stadium ripped out of my mind in the student section. Or skim boarding at the beach in between classes. Or crazy nights starting at Nite Owl/Obriens and ending up at America's Backyard in Laudy. Or winning first place for my undergraduate thesis. The opportunities at FAU are endless but unfortunately, many still take the 'community college commuter' attitude towards it (albeit not as much when I was there in 2009-2012)
Back to the top

OC Irritant said

owl2Doc said

I guess you're not voting for Bernie lol.
Back to the top

Every college is what you make it.  I know people that have gone to the UFs and FSUs of the world and transferred to FAU and had a better time.  The biggest thing with asking for donations is most are still repaying student loans.  The concept of being obligated to pay a couple of hundred dollars a month, and then make a donation to the entity that put you in debt in the first place is a hard pill to swallow.  In other words, FAU isn't going to be there if you can't afford a loan payment, yet they are asking for a donation to help pay their debtors.  It's understandable in the long run the ROI of making a donation is a positive, the school becomes more prestigious and well known, and could eventually help you land a better job, but in the near-term, you graduate with a degree, make 40k a year, which goes to paying student loans and rent/mortgage, there really isn't anything left for donations.  It's really only been the last few years that the graduating classes have felt a connection to the school but if they are in debt, its understandable that they wouldn't be in a position to make a donation… In my estimate, that's probably a nationwide issue
Back to the top

David Slavic said

OC Irritant said

owl2Doc said

Posted On: Feb 17th 2016, 9:23 AM #354688

That is a BIG 10-4!
Back to the top

David Slavic said

OC Irritant said

owl2Doc said

Agree 1000% ! Maybe helps explain why most of the good donations come from people who never went here.

Posted On: Feb 17th 2016, 9:23 AM #354688

Back to the top
Control functions: