Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2016 Rainbow Classic Thread

Add topic

teambeer said

I just saved a whole bunch of money on my season ticket renewal!
Posted On: Nov 14th 2016, 8:36 AM #362454

no kidding.  Rick, is there any silver lining here?  Is this team really this bad?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Troutman is looking like he didn't just have a fluke year at JUCO, but Booker is nowhere to be found so far.

We were counting on that being the second edge to our shooting game so…

Also, the rebounding is sub-par - expected MUCH better than this.

I'm giving it one more game, then revising my forecast significantly downward.

We "should" have won both of the first two games but simply didn't not show up.

Back to the top

Rick said

Troutman is looking like he didn't just have a fluke year at JUCO, but Booker is nowhere to be found so far.

We were counting on that being the second edge to our shooting game so…

Also, the rebounding is sub-par - expected MUCH better than this.

We "should" have won both of the first two games but simply didn't not show up.
Posted On: Nov 14th 2016, 9:38 AM #362459

Thanks for the insight Rick.  I am looking forward to putting this year behind us from an athletics standpoint.  What a mess.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

at least the girls won their first game, and they're playing again tonight. Let's see what my schedule looks like :Smug:
Back to the top

C'mon guys. Baseball is right around the corner !
Back to the top

FINAL:

FAU 63  Hawaii 64

It was a game played evenly for the most part, but the Owls come up just short in a heartbreaking 64-63 loss to Hawaii in their final game at the Rainbow Classic.

Ronald Delph was back in form with a career high 22 points (10-of-13) and 12 rebounds, while Jeantal Cylla and Frank Booker were also in double figures with 12 points, and 11 points respectively.

Hawaii was the better team from the floor in one key category - three point percentage - where they finished 8-of-19 to that of 7-of-21 for the Owls.

A jumper by Nick Rutherford capped an 8-0 run that gave Florida Atlantic (0-3) a 63-59 lead with just 1:09 to play but Hawaii pulled to within a point after a free throw with just under a minute remaining.

Rutherford missed his next free throw attempt, and the Warriors cashed in for the winning lay-up with only eight seconds remaining. FAU was unable to get a shot off thereafter.

Hawaii used a 10-3 run to take a 30-27 into halftime.

Back to the top

Rick said

Ronald Delph was back in form with a career high 22 points (10-of-13) and 12 rebounds, while Jeantal Cylla and Frank Booker were also in double figures with 12 points, and 11 points respectively.
Posted On: Nov 15th 2016, 7:32 AM #362482

If we can keep Delph out of foul trouble this year, we can win some games. There was an 8 or 9 minute streak in the second half where he was just dominating the game.  
Back to the top

Rick said

Thoughts now?
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Rick said

Thoughts now?

Posted On: Nov 15th 2016, 12:45 PM #362491

Hawaii was favored by six points which I agree with. We played under that and once again actually should have won the game. Bad move coaching wise allowing Rutherford to handle the ball at such a crucial time as a 64% FT shooter, and it cost us dearly when he missed.

Regardless, our record should have been 2-1 coming out of the tournament.

For now, I'll take it down to 10-11 wins. Of course this could change if the scoring gets better. But the 73 ppg thought is pie in the sky at this point until we actually play fast and can score. So far we are scoring at the exact same average as last season.
Back to the top

Again, all our expectations and predictions are totally baseless. More like hopes, then educated guesses. Reality is, we look about the same as last season so far.
Back to the top
Control functions: