Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Jeff Atwater to Join FAU as VP for Strategic Initiatives & CFO

Add topic

Jeff Atwater, who brings years of experience in finance in the public and private sectors and executive leadership in Florida as a member of the Governor’s cabinet, has agreed to become Florida Atlantic University’s vice president for strategic initiatives and chief financial officer.

Atwater will leave his role as the state of Florida’s chief financial officer after conclusion of the 2017 legislative session. He replaces Dorothy Russell, who retired as FAU’s CFO on Jan. 31 after a decade with the University and a 40-year career in higher education. David (Art) Kite was appointed FAU’s interim vice president for financial affairs on Feb. 1.

In his new role with FAU, Atwater will lead the University’s strategic initiatives and economic development opportunities, as well as manage the FAU’s budget. As a vice president, Atwater will serve on the University’s Executive Leadership Team, which reports directly to FAU President John Kelly.

Atwater will combine his role as CFO with overall responsibility for a wide array of economic development opportunities, including identifying and establishing public-private partnerships and formulating unique initiatives that align with the University’s strategic plan.

President John Kelly said Atwater was his first choice for this expanded CFO role.

“I met Jeff soon after I became FAU president and was immediately struck by his presence. As the CFO of the world’s 16th largest economy — called the state of Florida — his experience and ability to navigate complex financial waters speaks for itself,” Kelly said. “When I approached Jeff about joining us here, it was immediately obvious he cares passionately about FAU. There is no better person to help guide this University’s finances and corporate relationships as we continue with unbridled ambition to make FAU America’s fastest improving university.”

As Florida’s CFO, Atwater led the Department of Financial Services and its 13 divisions to national recognition for the financial management of the state, financial transparency and financial literacy.

Atwater said the South Florida region has long known of his enthusiasm for FAU and he is excited for the opportunity to further the University’s reputation.

“As a parent of FAU graduates, I cannot think of a better place to begin the next phase of my career,” Atwater said. “I am extremely grateful to have served my state as its CFO, and I will dedicate as much energy to my new role with FAU.”
Back to the top

He was a candidate for FAU president if I remember correctly… don't remember if he lost to Saunders or Kelly though. I remember him being a strong candidate though. Glad to have him on board in some capacity.
Back to the top

I believe it was this most recent search, the Atwater family is a staple of FAU with multiple children attemding at our school.

Get excited guys, Dr Kelly's plans for the economic partnerships just took a big step forward
Back to the top

Just like an AD is only as good as the coaches he hires, and a coach is really dependent on the players he brings in, the President of a university really needs a strong Executive Leadership in order to advance his ideas and grow a school.  This seems like an excellent hire, and with a focus on "strategic initiatives" should lead to continued growth and possibly expansion.  FAU seems to really be on the rise.
Back to the top

So I can not wait to see all the results of moves made by President Kelly in the past few months. A new alumni outreach coordinator, a new VP for finance. You will see the university really take off here.
Back to the top

Atwater is one of the biggest names in Florida politics. His named has been tossed around to run for the Governor's seat next election cycle. In fact, he's one of the favorites to run among the Republicans in 2018, as it's hard to find many other Florida Republicans that could top Atwater. It just depends on whether or not he wants it.

I know we try our hardest to avoid politics on TON, but I think this information is necessary to understand how HUGE this is for FAU. He is leaving his post on the Governor's Cabinet and as #3 in the line of succession for the Governor's seat, to come to answer to President John Kelly at Florida Atlantic University. Not UF or FSU, but right here in Boca Raton.

HUGE!

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

As someone who has worked under Atwater for years, I'll give him credit for standing up to the Governor on multiple occasions, to do what he thought was right.  
Back to the top

owlmart said

As someone who has worked under Atwater for years, I'll give him credit for standing up to the Governor on multiple occasions, to do what he thought was right.  
Posted On: Feb 12th 2017, 8:28 PM #367080

What are you referring to?

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

owlmart said

Posted On: Feb 12th 2017, 8:28 PM #367080

Just so people know, the Governors cabinet is elected by the people not appointed by the governor. So therefore there is a level of independence in the position.  That being said I have heard  him speak many times and he was very effective in his CFO position for the state.  FAU is lucky to have him just for hisTallahassee connections (Ala Brogan)but he brings more to the table than just that.  Kelly keeps doing what he's been doing and he won't be with us much longer.  
Back to the top

I'd thought the same thing…Atwater was my personal favorite choice for President the first time around but, if Kelly keeps it up, we need a succession plan in place asap. 
Back to the top
Control functions: