Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Marching Owls Director moving on to UAB

Add topic

So if I'm understanding the situation correctly, all music majors have to sign up for some sort of performance vehicle and many choose the band to fulfill that requirement.

In doing so they register for the practice class, receive a $500 scholarship just for that semester, which effectively just pays for the cost of that class, right? 3 credits at ~$145 is $435.

That's pretty sad then. That's essentially just waiving the fees on a class. I thought it covered all your classes for the full semester/year. No wonder our numbers are so low.
Back to the top

FSU marching band has similar enrollment requirements, except you have to be an enrolled student.  No mention of any scholarship, so its not a negative that we only give $500 for the semester.  Sounds great that we give it.

You don't need to give a musician an incentive to join the band, they LOVE performing in front of crowds.  Going out and playing at every game in front of a nice crowd is the incentive.  We need to win and more people will come out to the games which will mean more kids will want to perform in the marching band. 
Back to the top

Marching Chiefs said

FSU marching band has similar enrollment requirements, except you have to be an enrolled student.  No mention of any scholarship, so its not a negative that we only give $500 for the semester.  Sounds great that we give it.

You don't need to give a musician an incentive to join the band, they LOVE performing in front of crowds.  Going out and playing at every game in front of a nice crowd is the incentive.  We need to win and more people will come out to the games which will mean more kids will want to perform in the marching band. 
Posted On: Apr 10th 2017, 8:22 AM #368255

Winning will help!
Back to the top

I did like the band in Hawaiian shirts - why did we stop doing that? So the band would look more professional?

Doesn't FIU do the Hawaiian shirts now?
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

I did like the band in Hawaiian shirts - why did we stop doing that? So the band would look more professional?

Posted On: Apr 10th 2017, 2:34 PM #368265

I guess they did it to be more formal. And I'm not sure about FIU.

Revolution- n. A large amount of change in a short amount of time.   FAU- n. The place where tomorrow begins.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Because they were awful, surplus Florida Turnpike toll collector shirts.  As the turnpike went cashless the toll collectors turned in their shirts and then they were sent to Boca for the band.  True story.  Also, we are not Hawaii.  Who wants Hawaiian shirts in Florida.
Back to the top

Unless we get a tie-in with Jimmy Buffet and Margaritaville. Hey, now there's a thought….
Back to the top

Ugh said

Owl2Doc said

Because they were awful, surplus Florida Turnpike toll collector shirts.  As the turnpike went cashless the toll collectors turned in their shirts and then they were sent to Boca for the band.  True story.  Also, we are not Hawaii.  Who wants Hawaiian shirts in Florida.
Posted On: Apr 10th 2017, 4:30 PM #368268

LOL, that's horrible
Back to the top

I've got to disagree on the shirts.  They used to sell the shirts to fans to raise money and the shirt I have has FAU and owl designs on it. I seriously doubt the toll collectors were wearing that.
But I agree– I thought the shirts and straw hats set them apart, matched up with "football in paradise", and gave them and identity.  Everyone can have a cape and a plum.  Too bad we went that way.  
Back to the top

These were worn by stadium workers in 2011…I am sure the band members would love them - especially in September!

Back to the top
Control functions: