Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Lacrosse

Add topic

What are the opinions of the board members of FAU fielding a lacrosse team?  I know as always we are tight for funds but this is the fastest growing collegiate sport in the country.  The growth of youth lacrosse in South Florida is incredible.

does anyone know if there has been any discussions to start a program?

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

What are the opinions of the board members of FAU fielding a lacrosse team?  I know as always we are tight for funds but this is the fastest growing collegiate sport in the country.  The growth of youth lacrosse in South Florida is incredible.

Posted On: Jun 5th 2017, 9:06 PM #369075

This a big sport in Florida high schools?  Went to HS in Texas, just curious.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

Posted On: Jun 5th 2017, 9:06 PM #369075

It be a something I am sure to look at in the future, but we have to have a more steady income to really take on that sport onto our budget. Because you have to field both a men and women's lacrosse team, provide them a field to play and practice on, which can be the practice fields behind the Oxley once the new center is build or the soccer complex which currently houses both men and women's soccer. But someone mentioned before we rather help improve the university also besides in the athletic arena as well. But its a good idea, and the talent is here in Florida for it. Since really there is only so many schools that field it, we would be considered independent because there are no conference alignments generally in those sports because not every school in every conference fields a lacrosse team.
Back to the top

It'd be really cool especially since we already have the pro team on campus.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

It'd be really cool especially since we already have the pro team on campus.
Posted On: Jun 6th 2017, 12:54 AM #369078

I seriously doubt you will ever see men's lacrosse. They would have to add another women's sport, or drop a men's sport to add lacrosse.

If they were to add a men's sport track and field would be the smart move.

But again I don't see that happening because of title 9 
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

But again I don't see that happening because of title 9 
Posted On: Jun 6th 2017, 7:03 AM #369079

Agreed. Difficult to add men's sports. I am pretty sure they added beach Volleyball because of title 9 issues.  I don't know where they stand with how even it is currently, but if you are even, you probably would need to add both men's and women's lacrosse if you want to add men's.  

I would rather see them invest more in the sports they have now before they add any more to the budget unless they decide to lose another sport with Lacrosse being the replacement.
Back to the top

Most public high schools still do not play lacross in Florida due to budget problems.

The problem with Lacross it's viewed and still played by mostly white and upper class kids who if good at the sport do not go to FAU.

If FAU was going to add a men's sport TRACK would be the best.

We could throw a couple football players on track scholarships.
Back to the top

We don't have the money to properly fund what we have. No club sports need to be added. Lets concentrate on a basketball and baseball facility next. And that will be years before that happens.
Back to the top

We don't even have enough to keep up with the meal vouchers, and stipends other programs are giving now either…and it is already starting to show up in recruiting.

That would be money better spent, IMHO.

Back to the top

like everyone has been saying we cant take it on right now, and if you look at the FAU sports website, we are about equal in sports except for track for women's sports, along with beach volley ball and regular volleyball. But until we can erase some of the red of the FAU Sports budget, it will be a long time before we add on any sports, unless we get some mega donors to say hey, lets add on these sports, and here is the money for the first couple years to get them off the ground. but that will be down the line.
Back to the top
Control functions: