Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

BONUS GAME THREAD: FIU @ FAU February 23, 2019

Add topic

The Owls take on the Panthers for the third time this season to begin C-USA Bonus Play

What: FIU (16-11, 7-7) @ Florida Atlantic (16-11, 7-7)

When: Saturday, February 23 @ 4:00 PM

Where: FAU Arena

Series: FAU is 18-23 all-time against FIU.  The Owls and the Panthers split the season series. The road team has been victorious in each meeting this season.

Video: CUSA.tv (FEE)

Radio: ESPN 106.3

FIU Team Site: Here

FIU at a Glance:

Offense – 84.5 PPG, 44% FG, 32% 3PT

Defense – 80.9 PPGA, 47% FGA, 33% 3PTA

Rebounding - 35.2 PG, 43.1 PG Opponents

Notables

FIU enters Saturday`s matchup winners of two straight, including a win against a very talented North Texas squad over the weekend.

The Golden Panthers are led by Senior Brian Beard Jr. (17 PPG).  The 5-10 Guard is coming off a 22 point performance against North Texas.  FAU was able to keep Beard Jr. in check in two meetings this season, limiting the former Chaffey College star to 14, and 16 points respectively.

Another anchor for FIU is F Devon Andrews.  The Junior is averaging 17 points per game. Andrews is very efficient offensively, with the 2nd best field goal percentage in CUSA. Not only is Andrews an offensive force but he also ranks 9th in CUSA with just under two steals per game. The Lorain, Ohio native has had two 25+ point performances in his past three games. Andrews scored 19 and 21 points in contests against FAU this season.

A recent spark for FIU has been true freshmen G Antonio Daye Jr.  The Durham, North Carolina native is averaging 15 PPG in his last 3 matchups.  Daye Jr. is one of the better defenders in the conference. He has a combined seven steals in the past 3 games, including a 5 steal performance against Rice on Valentine’s Day. This past Saturday, Daye Jr. dropped 20 points against North Texas

FIU has been phenomenal on offense this season.  The Golden Panthers are the #1 ranked scoring team in Conference USA.  However, they struggle from the free throw line shooting 64% (13th in CUSA).

FAU at a Glance:

Offense – 71.2 PPG, 42% FG, 33% 3PT

Defense - 68 PPGA, 41% FGA, 32% 3PTA

Rebounding - 39.2 PG, 35.5 PG Opponents

Notables

FAU begins Conference USA Bonus Play at home against longtime rival FIU.  FAU enters Saturday’s matchup on a two game home win streak.  Coach Dusty May has emphasized the importance of protecting The Burrow.

The continued evolution of Ole Miss transfer F Karlis Silins has given the Owls a huge boost. The freshmen has back-to-back games of double digit points. FAU has struggled with offensive interior consistency for most of the season.  Look for the Owls to get Silins going early against an undersized FIU team.

Senior G Anthony Adger has been in a slump lately. However, Adger has over 20 points in the past two contests against FIU.  This could be the veterans final matchup against FAU`s biggest rival. Adger is 9-18 from 3 point range against FIU this season.

FAU must take advantage of their size if they want to defeat a very high scoring FIU club for the second time this season. FIU is the #12 ranked rebounding team in CUSA, as the Golden Panthers only have one player 6-8 or taller in their rotation (6-11, C Elhadji Dieng)

Opening Line: FAU - 5.5
Back to the top

I just hope all the students tailgating outside The Burrow 1.) Stay hydrated on this hot day, and 2.) GO TO THE FLIPPING GAME!!

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Love how Kev Ellis has morphed into a trustworthy starter. He's development in the second half of the season has been a real treat to watch.

Back to the top

GAME ON from The Burrow! Owls control the opening tip.

Back to the top

This is less than ideal.

Back to the top

Awful first half for the Owls. We need to limit our turnovers in the second half if we're going to comeback.

Back to the top

Why are the commercial breaks on 106.3 so freaking loud?! Between my busy-work I can hear we're starting to make a game of it…
Back to the top

Owls down five!

Back to the top

Refs have been so inconsistent this game. FIU is in the bonus as we've just committed our seventh foul of the half.

Back to the top

Owls are starting to get some momentum!

Back to the top
Control functions: