Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU is Best College In Florida and #10 on overall list

Add topic

owlsdad said

My middle daughter is going to FSU in the Fall, and when everything (fees, dorm, meal plan) is considered it will be cheaper than FAU.

As a North Carolinian, I was kind of surprised by FSU and UF really being the cheapest in-state options.
Posted On: Mar 4th 2019, 7:51 AM #385409

That's strange, because the Cost of Admittance stipend that athletic departments now give to student athletes SKYROCKETED at those two institutions since the NCAA allowed that form of payment a couple of years ago………

:Thinking:  :Thinking:  :Thinking:

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

I just know what I pay for my oldest to attend FAU and what I am going to pay for the middle one to attend FSU this coming Fall with similar options.  Tuition is about the same, but dorms and dining are cheaper at FSU.
Back to the top

Nowhere in the article did it say FAU was the cheapest.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

Posted On: Mar 4th 2019, 1:52 PM #385419

The article said it was the cheapest on their top list:

"Last but not least, Florida Atlantic has the lowest in-state tuition ($4,831) of our best of the best list."

Back to the top

owlsdad said

I just know what I pay for my oldest to attend FAU and what I am going to pay for the middle one to attend FSU this coming Fall with similar options.  Tuition is about the same, but dorms and dining are cheaper at FSU.
Posted On: Mar 4th 2019, 1:38 PM #385418

Oh, I believe it. Such is the life of Palm Beach vs. Leon Counties. It's just *interesting* that the two big schools conveniently found ways to raise the COA when it became a method of landing recruits.

Back to the top

Jack D Whidden III said

dusky256fc said

Posted On: Mar 4th 2019, 1:52 PM #385419

The article said it was the cheapest on their top list:

"Last but not least, Florida Atlantic has the lowest in-state tuition ($4,831) of our best of the best list."
Posted On: Mar 4th 2019, 2:06 PM #385420

Exactly, the lowest compared to the list not the state.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Well, Dr Kelly liked the article on Twitter and shared it. It came up on my phone after he shared it. The Alumni Association posted it on Facebook.
If nothing else, its good publicity.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Jack D Whidden III said

owlsdad said

My middle daughter is going to FSU in the Fall, and when everything (fees, dorm, meal plan) is considered it will be cheaper than FAU.

As a North Carolinian, I was kind of surprised by FSU and UF really being the cheapest in-state options.

That's strange, because the Cost of Admittance stipend that athletic departments now give to student athletes SKYROCKETED at those two institutions since the NCAA allowed that form of payment a couple of years ago………

Posted On: Mar 4th 2019, 1:28 PM #385417

Why is that weird?  UF, FSU and Miami are the only 3 schools in Florida who have athletics programs in the black.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

@dusky - didn’t mean for anybody to take offense.  My comment was as Jack read it that FAU had the lowest tuition of the articles’ top-10.  Never a bad thing to be a “top-10” and I am very happy I have a daughter attending and doing well in Boca.

I was pointing out the actual cost of pretty much all the FL public schools are roughly the same, so this study/article sees extra value at FAU - so did my oldest daughter (and so did I).  I try to let all 3 of my kids make the decision that is right for them, but selfishly I would have been very happy if daughter #2 would have followed daughter #1.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Jack D Whidden III said

owlsdad said

Posted On: Mar 4th 2019, 1:28 PM #385417

Why is that weird?  UF, FSU and Miami are the only 3 schools in Florida who have athletics programs in the black.

Posted On: Mar 4th 2019, 9:39 PM #385424

I think that was Jack being sarcastic over the $$$ power of the Power5 (Monopoly) as no way cost of attending or living in Tallahassee or Gainesville is higher than Boca Raton, FL! What is the phrase, Power corrupts…..
Back to the top
Control functions: