Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

CIT FIRST ROUND GAME THREAD: FAU @ Charleston Southern - March 21, 2019

Add topic

FAU MBB Enters Postseason Play for First Time Since 2011

What: Florida Atlantic (17-15, 8-10) @ Charleston Southern (17-15, 9-7)

When: Thursday, March 21th @ 7:00 PM Eastern

Where:

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

Buccaneer Field House

Series: This will be the first ever match up between FAU and Charleston Southern.

Stream: CBS Sports Network

Radio: ESPN 106.3

Charleston Southern Team Site: Here

Buccaneers at a Glance:

Offense – 76.2 PPG, 43% FG, 35% 3PT

Defense – 69.7 PPGA, 43% FGA, 35% 3PTA

Rebounding - 35.7 PG, 36.1 PG Opponents

Notables

Charleston Southern enters the CIT after losing in the semifinals of the Big South Tournament to defending champs Radford. Prior to this loss, the Buccaneers were winners of four straight.

The Bucs are lead by G Christian Keeling, who averages just a shade under 19 PPG. On top of being the fourth best shooter in the Big South Conference, the junior averages 7 rebounds per game, also good for fourth in the BSC.

The young FAU backcourt will have their hands full with Keeling, as the 2019 Big South All-tournament first teamer has scored over 20 points in three of his last four games.

Head Coach Barclay Radebaugh will have to get creative inside against the Owls, as CSU's tallest rotational players are both 6'8" freshmen: Timmy Sellers and Duncan Alexander.

CSU's 16.6 forced turnovers per game ranks 11th in the nation. This in turns allows the Bucs to have the 15th best turnover margin in Division I basketball at +3.7.

Owls at a Glance:

Offense – 70.5 PPG, 41% FG, 32% 3PT

Defense - 68 PPGA, 41% FGA, 32% 3PTA

Rebounding - 39.5 PG, 35.6 PG Opponents

Notables

The Florida Atlantic Owls make their return to postseason play for the first time since 2011, where they were bounced from the first round of the NIT with a 85-62 loss at Miami.

This past week, the Owls lost a heartbreaker in the opening round of the C-USA Tournament to Louisiana Tech. Despite having the lead over FAU for just 35 seconds of game-time, the Bulldogs went on to the second round where they lost to eventual C-USA Tournament champions Old Dominion.

This Owls' loss was highlighted by a lack of offensive firepower, as FAU only had two double digit scorers: Xavian Stapleton (17) and Simeon Lepichev (13).

FAU will also need to take better care of the basketball, as their 13 turnovers against Louisiana Tech allowed the Bulldogs to complete their comeback. The turnover woes will only be exasperated against a turnover forcing machine like CSU.

The Owls will need better play from Anthony Adger if they want a chance to continue their season. Despite averaging 15.5 PPG this season, the senior is averaging just 9 PPG over his last 4 appearances.  

Opening Line: FAU +3.5
Back to the top

Niang replaces Lepichev and Maitre replaces Ellis. Besides those two changes, our starting lineup from last week remains constant.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Niang is going to be a very special player if he continues his development.

Back to the top

It's been a while since Michael Forrest has balled like this!

Back to the top

Ooooof, Bucs take advantage of the Owls getting colder than the projected low in Charleston, SC tonight.

Back to the top

Look at that gym…here's a team hosting us and they don't even have as nice a place as we do….

:Big-Grin:

On a side note:

The BEST ARENA IN AMERICA won't fix 2-of-16 from the floor!

Let's go!
Back to the top

Listen, I'm willing to take four point deficit right now.

Back to the top

Here are some brief stats for y'all. The thing to take away is how we've been DOMINATED inside, despite having a massive size advantage.

Back to the top

Now that's how you start the second half! Owls race out to retake the lead from the Bucs.

Back to the top

XAVIAN STAPLETON, ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!?!?

CSU retakes the lead, but the grad student ties the game at 34 a piece with a shot from Jacksonville!

Back to the top
Control functions: