Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

SERIES THREAD: FIU vs FAU - Mar 29th - 31st, 2019

Add topic

The game is all tied up after the Owls put another run on the board. Feeling like there's a chance this goes into extra innings!

Back to the top

Another high-pressure situation here in Boca Raton!

Back to the top

Can the boys close it down here? You could cut the tension here in the stadium with a knife!

Back to the top

We've made it into extra innings. Really hoping Schneider can close this one down, I don't know if I can handle any more stress.

Back to the top

Schneider deals another strikeout to shut down the Panthers! This guy is certainly good at his job.

Back to the top

OWLS SWEEP! FAU puts the Kitties down with a 4-3 final score after 15 innings!

Schneider threw an insane 6.0 IP, while giving up 5 H, 1 BB, 0 R and earning 6 K.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

FAU baseball moved to the top of the Conference USA standings Sunday afternoon when Joe Montes doubled in Diamond Johnson for a walkoff win in the bottom of the 15th inning, defeating FIU 4-3 and sweeping the weekend series.

Sunday’s game is the second longest since the Owls have been in C-USA, with a complete 15-inning game three years ago at home versus Charlotte (April 10, 2016, a 7-6 loss). Speaking of Charlotte, the 49ers played to a curfew tie Sunday at WKU, 13-13, meaning the Hilltoppers are now 7-1-1 in league play, a half-game behind FAU.

FIU (11-17, 2-7 C-USA), after leading 2-0 early but giving it up in the fifth, moved back ahead on a Jose Garcia home run in the sixth. FAU (19-9, 8-1 C-USA) knotted it back up in the eighth on a Montes RBI double with two outs, scoring Johnson, who had pinch-ran and stole second before the hit.

The game was literally all zeroes after that until the winning hit. On the FAU side of things, Zach Schneider came on in the ninth and pitched all the way to the 14th, setting career highs of six innings, 109 pitches and six strikeouts.

Michael Schuler relieved him in the 15th, and a double play (Jacob Josey to Francisco Urbaez to Gunnar Lambert) kept things tied, setting up the bottom half. Johnson singled through the left side with one out, and on the very first pitch he saw, Montes short-hopped the fence in leftfield to easily score the game-winning run.

Montes had three doubles in all, among the Owls’ nine hits.

"That was a really, really good baseball game and I’m proud of both teams", said Coach John McCormack. "Happy we won, but I’m proud of both teams.”

Over the series, Owls’ pitching gave up just four runs in 33 innings, a 1.09 ERA, and limited FIU hitting to a .207 average. Included was 16 1/3 straight scoreless frames (from Friday's fourth inning until Sunday's second), and additionally, the final nine innings Sunday.

Next week is four road games for the Owls: Away at Miami on Wednesday, and a trip to Charlotte over the weekend.

- FAU Baseball SID Jonathan Fraysure

UPDATED SCHEDULE: 2019 FAU Baseball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest
Back to the top
Control functions: