Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

SERIES THREAD: FAU vs. WKU - April 19th-21st, 2019

Add topic

Owls Hit the Road Again to Face a Struggling WKU team

What: Florida Atlantic (25-11, 12-3 C-USA) at Western Kentucky University (17-17-1, 8-6-1 C-USA)

When: Friday, April 19th @ 4:00pm
           Saturday, April 20th @ 2:00pm
           Sunday: April 21st @ 2:00pm

Where: Nick Denes Stadium

Series Record: FAU will face the Hilltoppers for the 40th time in their history holding a 27-12 edge.

Video: CUSA.tv

Live Stats: Here

WKU Team Site: Here

Projected Starting Pitchers:

Friday
FAU - Blake Sanderson, R-Sr. RHP (7-1, 3.51)
WKU - Reece Calvert, R-Sr. RHP (1-3, 5.18)

Saturday
FAU - Mike Ruff, Jr. RHP (4-1, 5.05)
WKU - Troy Newell, Sr. LHP (2-3, 6.75)

Sunday
FAU - TBD
WKU - TBD

Owls at a glance

Although the Owls fell to LA Tech in two games this past weekend, they still remain first in C-USA with a 12-3 conference record as they approach the halfway mark of their 2019 C-USA campaign.

Currently, the Owls are ranked #27 in both the Collegiate Baseball & NCBWA polls, falling from their #24 position after their series loss to LA Tech last weekend.

FAU won their midweek matchup against UCF with a 5-3 victory on Tuesday thanks to a 6th inning rally. Senior Andru Summerall had his second home run in as many games to begin the comeback after the Owls trailed 2-0 early.

The Owls' bullpen has been on fire as of late, giving up just two runs in their game against UCF. The pitching staff currently has a season ERA of 4.00, which is the lowest in the conference.

Blake Sanderson (7-1) will make his 9th appearance on the mound this Friday, after getting his 1st loss of the season last week in Game 1 of the LA Tech series. Sanderson pitched 7.0 innings of work, giving up just 4 runs on 7 hits, but wasn't able to find any offensive support.

After their series against the Hilltoppers, the Owls will travel to Gainesville for a midweek matchup against the Gators, before returning to Boca to host Old Dominion.

Hilltoppers at a glance

Winners of two straight, Western Kentucky is also coming off a win in their midweek game over Belmont and a high-scoring victory over Marshall. Before that stretch, the Hilltoppers dropped six of seven, including a sweep against rival Middle Tennessee.

The team is currently ranked fifth in C-USA with an 8-6-1 record, sitting just below Middle Tennessee. The tie came against Charlotte at the end of March.

The Hilltoppers have a breakout offensive star in JUCO transfer Jake Sanford, who currently leads the conference in slugging pct. (.844), hits (56), home runs(16), RBI’s(49), and runs scored (45).

This weekend could be an situation where the 'Toppers look too far ahead of them, as the Kentucky Wildcats make a trip to Bowling Green later this week. After the in-state tilt, WKU will travel to San Antonio to take on an inconsistent, yet dangerous UTSA ball club.
Back to the top

JUST IN:

Toppers Coach John Pawlowski has announced that starting 1B Richard Constantine will be out been for the rest of the season after a foot injury suffered on Tuesday against Belmont.

Constantine had a team leading .413 batting average in his 25 games played on the year and was second to Sanford in homers with 5 and 20 RBI in just 63 at bats.
Back to the top

It's a rainy day in Bowling Green, but hopefully things will clear up soon so we can watch some Owls baseball!

Back to the top

After the delay, this game finally gets started just an hour behind the scheduled start time.
The Owls lead 3-0 after playing some great offense with a pair of RBI's from Summerall and Pages.

Back to the top

Another RBI from Andru Summerall! He seemed to have been in a bit of a mid-season slump before he hit his solo homer against LaTech last Saturday. Since then, there's just been no stopping this guy!

Back to the top

After a lengthy delay, tonight's game has officially been called. The Owls will resume game 1 tomorrow at 2pm, which was originally game 2's start time. Hopefully the weather will hold out better than it did tonight!

Back to the top

This  is  a series we must sweep.  Nothing affects a series more than a Friday rain out or delay.  Time for our young arms to come in and save the weekend.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

This  is  a series we must sweep.  Nothing affects a series more than a Friday rain out or delay.  Time for our young arms to come in and save the weekend.
Posted On: Apr 20th 2019, 6:43 AM #386002

We're surely going to see how well those young arms can do with this sticky double header situation today.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

PLAY BALL from Bowling Green!

Owls and Hilltoppers return to the diamond to finish Game One after it was called last night due to weather.

Back to the top

A shaky start for O'Connell, who sees FAU's lead disappear because of a three-run HR.

The good news is that we were able to retake the lead in the next inning thanks to some timely hits.

Back to the top
Control functions: