Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

SERIES THREAD: FAU vs. Southern Mississippi May 3rd-5th, 2019

Add topic

LET'S GOO! A big win tonight for the boys! The bats were out for blood tonight scoring 18 on the Golden Eagles. They better have the brooms ready for tomorrow's game as FAU goes for the sweep.

UPDATED SCHEDULE: 2019 FAU Baseball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest
Back to the top

Omg.  I said earlier that we need to hit hit and hit some more to win. I never expected this kind I f offensive out put. Great job. Let's do it one more time.
Back to the top

Behind five hits and seven RBI from Andru Summerall, the Florida Atlantic University baseball team set season highs in hits and runs in doubling up No. 29 Southern Miss on Saturday night, 18-9. The Owls moved into a tie for first place in the Conference USA standings with the Golden Eagles and clinched the road series with the win.

“What a game. What an offensive night for our guys", said Head Coach John McCormack. "They started the pressure in the first and kept it on all night. Mike Ruff made it stand up for five innings, he had to come out probably because of the long top half when we scored eight runs."

FAU (32-14, 17-6 C-USA) scored first, in the first, on a two-out, two-run single by Mitchell Hartigan. Another run came in on a Joe Montes single in the third, and then the Owls exploded for eight in the fifth, on seven hits, while sending 11 batters to the plate.

USM (30-15, 17-6 C-USA) got four in the sixth, but the Owls got those back the next at-bat, three coming in on a home run to right by Summerall, the other on a Hartigan double. Summerall would add another three-run shot in the eighth for an 18-4 lead. The Golden Eagles scored five times in the bottom of the ninth, but Dylan O’Connell came on to get the last two outs and the Owls can potentially get a road sweep with a win on Sunday.

"Winning a series here is a really big deal" McCormack said. 'Proud of the way they played, especially offensively, really really good and really clutch at-bats.”

Mike Ruff (5-3) allowed only two hits and struck out six in five-plus innings of work. Jon Jon Kostantis threw scoreless innings in the seventh and eighth, and O’Connell got outs No. 26 and 27 on a flyball to center and popup to second base.

Summerall set career highs with his 5-for-6 night, five runs and seven RBI. The five runs scored matches a program record set six times prior, the last being in 2013 by Nathan Pittman. Hartigan went 4-for-4 (two doubles and two singles) with three RBI, and is 7-for-8 in the series thus far. Eric Rivera reached five times, with three hits and two walks, scored three runs and had two RBI.

Game three is slated for a 2:00 PM start.

- FAU Baseball SID Jonathan Fraysure

UPDATED SCHEDULE: 2019 FAU Baseball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest
Back to the top

It's a beautiful day for a sweep, don't you think? Game 3, let's go!

Back to the top

Jacob Josey doing a great job so far who is making just his second start of the season today.

Back to the top

We gotta finish these guys off today.  We need to keep conf title hope's in our own hands.  
Back to the top

Woof, I can already tell this is going to be a stressful one.

Back to the top

Looks like it's going to be another game of back and forth today! There's been a lot of stolen bases from the team today who, before today, have had just 16 on the year. But I am HERE for the Owls playing some small ball!

Back to the top

Was afraid of of this after last night.  Good teams are always gonna respond to a freak beatdown like that.  
Back to the top

Considering this was only Josey's second start of the season in a high stakes game like this, I'd say he did pretty well!

Back to the top
Control functions: