Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Top 25 watch

I am wrong at the College Football Coaches Poll. They have not voted since December 8. ESPN shows the results of the games on the poll but the College Coaches poll does not vote again until all the games are finished. The CBS 130 Poll has changed its rankings based on the bowl games that have been played so far. it is updated. and can change.

As Emily Latilla (played by Gilda Radner) used to say on SNL, Never mind!
Back to the top

owlmart said

The poll says Dec 30; however, the link takes you to a poll from Dec 8.  I think you meant you to post a link to that one.

College Football Rankings 2019 - CBS Sports 130 - CBSSports.com
Posted On: Dec 30th 2019, 9:33 PM #393078

Yep, that's the issue…The link Owlmart posted is to the CBS Sports 130, not the Coaches Poll…

The Coaches Poll is what we need to pay attention to…still to be updated.

Hanging on to slim Hope we will make it!

:cool:

Back to the top

No. 24 Virginia lost to UF! And it was nice to see WKU win beating MAC Western Michigan and their high powered O! WMU averaged 33 points a game and only scored 20 on WKU D that we put 35 on! So WKU finishes at 9-4! Can't hurt our chances with their HUGE win over SEC Arky!!!!
Back to the top

FAU is going to get “graded” on their good wins (SMU) and how they did against top competition (respectable against Ohio State and ugly against UCF).  For the average person who doesn’t pay a ton of attention to C-USA teams, many of them probably don’t even realize who is in our conference.  So they won’t do the connections of we beat so and so who also beat so and so meaning FAU has to be better than all the teams in the equation.

Even if the conference gets to .500 in bowl games it will still be perceived as the 8th or 9th best conference, and perception matters more than reality.  I still think we have a chance, and if we played other teams at the bottom of the top-25 we would be just as good or better.  But I am leaning more like Rick and expecting us to be right there but probably on the fringe. 
Back to the top

Just feel like the Marshall game will cost us, as the Buffalo game did in 2017. Even though UVA lost, may be hard to justify us leap frogging a team like that who was competitive against an SEC opponent and comes out of a P5 conference.
Back to the top

Florida blowing out VA would have helped our cause but at least they lost.  We really need a loss by Cincy on Thursday.  

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

We really need a loss by Cincy on Thursday.
Posted On: Dec 31st 2019, 10:35 AM #393088

That was a bummer, indeed.

Back to the top

I am basing all of this on the CFP rankings, and it looks like the only teams that could possibly fall out are:
  • #19 Boise (will drop with their bad loss to unranked Washington - probably not all the way out)
  • #22 USC
  • #24 Virginia (close loss may get them some pollster love)
  • #25 Oklahoma State (lost close to Texas A&M, who could easily just replace them)
I know Texas A&M lost 5 games, but those were to Clemson (#3), Auburn (#12), Alabama (#13), Georgia (#5), and LSU (#1).  If you are from the SEC and your ***worst loss*** on the season was to Alabama, you are going to get in.

That means if Boise stays in but drops to the very bottom, there are really only 2 available spots assuming Virginia falls out.  And it will be a bunch of teams for those 2 places.  If Boise were to drop all the way out our chances would be a lot greater.  Here is a look at the 3 major polls.  My opinion is we need to get into 1 of these 3 for it to really matter (although there will be dozens of others that we could get into):

https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings
Back to the top

Yeah I do not think we will get ranked. I full expect to be at the 26/27 range. If we beat beat Marshall and are 12-2 I think that would have gotten it done. Although I think Boise St falls all the way out.
Back to the top

Agree Delt - if our only 2 losses were to a 10-win UCF and a 13-1 semifinalist in Ohio State at the start of the season, we would probably already be in the way we finished (that would have been 12-straight wins).  But there are a whole bunch of 8-win P5 schools, and several 10+ win teams we are competing with.  I can easily see UCF getting in over us with a head-to-head beatdown of the Owls and a thrashing of the only C-USA team who beat us.

We are "competing" against Texas A&M and UCF (resume already highlighted), Air Force (11-2 and already ranked in some of the other major polls), and not sure Boise falls all the way out because they were already #19 and they finished 12-2.  It will be close, and we could sneak into 1 of the 3 - but will definitely be right up there at the top of "others receiving votes".
Back to the top
Control functions: