Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: FAU @ UNT - January 11, 2020

Add topic

FAU Continues Texas Two-Step at UNT

What: Florida Atlantic (11-5, 3-0) vs. North Texas (8-8, 2-1)

When: Saturday, January 11th, @ 4:00 PM Eastern

Where: The UNT Coliseum

Series: UNT owns a 12-6 advantage over the Owls, despite FAU winning three straight.

TV: None

Stream: ESPN+ *Fee

Radio: FoxSports 640

Live Stats: Here

UNT Team Site: Here

UNT at a Glance:

Offense - 69.9 PPG, 46.8% FG, 38.2% 3PT

Defense - 63.2 PPGA, 40.7% FGA, 32% 3PTA

Rebounding - 34.2 RPG Mean Green, 29.4 RPG Opponents

Notables

In what is being billed as the C-USA Game of the Week, the Mean Green return to the Super Pit after their 74-56 thrashing of FIU. This time, they will take on the conference's current leader, the Florida Atlantic Owls.

UNT's .500 overall record is misleading when considering the quality of their opponents. The Mean Green are working with the 84th hardest strength-of-schedule in the nation, which ranks best in C-USA. In out-of-conference play, UNT's first 11 opponents had a combined winning percentage of .667 (72-36), making it the 32nd hardest schedule in the country during that span.

Since conference play began at the New Year, UNT leads the league in FGs (51.2%), 3Pts (39.7%), and rebounding defense (27.3 Opponent RPG).

Sophomore guard Umoja Gibson leads UNT in PPG with 14.1. Meanwhile junior guard Javion Hamlet is second on the team with 11.3 PPG and third in C-USA with 4.2 APG.

FAU at a Glance:

Offense - 72.2 PPG, 43% FG, 34% 3PT

Defense - 66.1 PPGA, 43% FGA, 32% 3PTA

Rebounding - 37.6 RPG Owls, 33.4 RPG Opponents

Notables

The Owls will conclude their Texas Two-Step with a visit to the "Super Pit," on the campus of UNT. A place unkind to FAU as the Owls have only won two out of eight games played in Denton.

FAU kicked-off their Texas swing by squeaking out a thrilling 81-76 victory over Rice. The Owls from Houston climbed back from a 22-point deficit with a pair of 12-0 runs in the second half. Rice took the lead for the first time with four minutes remaining in the contest, but FAU quickly countered to seal the win.

In the victory, Cornelius "Scuta" Taylor matched a collegiate career record high with 34 points. The Division-II Lincoln Memorial grad transfer netted 34 on the first of December, 2018, against fellow Division-II side, Coker University.

Star forward Jailyn Ingram did not play against Rice, due to suffering concussion like symptoms following a collision with a teammate at practice. As of Friday night, it is unknown if he will suit up for court action against UNT. In his place, freshman forward and Kosovo national Dardan Kapiti scored a career high 10 points.

Opening Line: FAU +7.5

Additional Links:

2019-2020 FAU Basketball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest

2019-2020 FAU Basketball Season Discussion Thread - FAU Owl's Nest

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Some lines are starting to move down to FAU +7. One website is showing that 98% of bets are siding with FAU when at +7.5

For what it's worth, I wouldn't put anything down on the Owls considering uncertainty surrounding Ingram.

Back to the top

Ingram is not in the starting lineup, and it's questionable whether or not he'll see action today.

Zecevic replaces Niang from Thursday's lineup, with Silins shifting to the #4 slot.

Back to the top

It's official. No Ingram tonight.  :Crying:

Back to the top

Here's FAU Owls Nest supporter Ralph Landau sending in this pic of the team warming up with no Ingram in sight.

And take warming up literally, there's snow on the ground in the Dallas area Mertroplex.

Back to the top

Silins gives FAU their first lead of the game by draining the contest's first three!

Back to the top

If there's been one positive coming from Ingram's injury, it's the rise of Dardan Kapiti.

Back to the top

Owls are now really struggling to move the ball down low. Three straight turnovers allow for UNT's James Reese to score 9 points in short order.

Back to the top

HALFTIME. FAU trails UNT, 36-29.

The Kosovar Sky-Scrapper leads the team with 8 points as he's 4-4 shooting.

Back to the top

Wow. That arena looks nice.
Back to the top
Control functions: