Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2020 Roster Changes

jgf2017 said

Gun to my head 
Posted On: Apr 12th 2020, 11:46 AM #394642

Doston was a solid player, but the picks were misleading.

A player that plays at a premiere position and led the nation in interceptions lasted 5 months in the portal.

Doston, unlike Tooley or Pierre hardly had to lineup outside as a true press CB, and he benefited from that.

This hurts because you want as many vets as possible in a season that might offer little time for players to prepare, but FAU has players that have equal talent and athletism that can fill his role.

Tooley and Pierre are much harder to replace.
Back to the top

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

jgf2017 said

Gun to my head 

A player that plays at a premiere position and led the nation in interceptions lasted 5 months in the portal.

Doston, unlike Tooley or Pierre hardly had to lineup outside as a true press CB, and he benefited from that.

This hurts because you want as many vets as possible in a season that might offer little time for players to prepare, but FAU has players that have equal talent and athletism that can fill his role.

Posted On: Apr 12th 2020, 12:23 PM #394645

This analysis is spot on. The fact that he downgraded is evidence that there was not much of a Meiko pursuit. Had he gone to uf, clemson, etc., then I would have felt like we really lost something.

If you transfer to a school that has been acting like a chicken with its head cut off, then we can't be losing out on too much.

All the best to him, but you have to wonder what else is at play here. Maybe he wants to play against the better competition to get drafted higher? This is add though as we have had corners go fairly early in the draft.

As for his statistics: he led the country in interceptions, so that is nothing to scoff at. He did, however, walk into a number of them: interception against fiu was thrown by the placeholder on a messed of field goal attempt, interception against usm in the endzone was dropped into his hands (any corner in college football would have picked that), another pick on a long fourth down where it was actually incredibly silly to pick the ball instead of batting it down (cannot remember the game). This is all not to even mention the fact that, as Shane points out, Meiko almost NEVER lined up against the top two receivers on the opposing team.

He will be missed, for leadership and some of his talent. But this is not as big of a blow as losing James Pierre.

Am I afraid of our corner depth? A bit. Am I confident in Jim Leavitt? You bet!

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

Both Shane and NJ  are spot on.
Back to the top

Tale of the 2019 tape:

1. Way overthrown
2. Way underthrown
3. Made the play
4. Slightly underthrown
5. Thrown to him
6. Thrown to him
7. Made the play
8. Made the play
9. Made the play

Yes, you have to put yourself in position to receive the ball, and he was good at being around. But he walked into half of the picks.

That said, two words come to mind:

Tavious Polo.

:Winking:
Back to the top

Rick said

Tale of the 2019 tape:

1. Way overthrown
2. Way underthrown
3. Made the play
4. Slightly underthrown
5. Thrown to him
6. Thrown to him
7. Made the play
8. Made the play
9. Made the play

Yes, you have to put yourself in position to receive the ball, and he was good at being around. But he walked into half of the picks.

Tavious Polo.

Posted On: Apr 12th 2020, 2:12 PM #394651

Great comparison.
Back to the top

Love this.
Back to the top

Rick said

Tale of the 2019 tape:

1. Way overthrown
2. Way underthrown
3. Made the play
4. Slightly underthrown
5. Thrown to him
6. Thrown to him
7. Made the play
8. Made the play
9. Made the play

Tavious Polo.

Posted On: Apr 12th 2020, 2:12 PM #394651

Great comparison.
Posted On: Apr 12th 2020, 3:21 PM #394656

Unfortunately, when I think of Tavious, I can only see this piece by our old friend Ted Hutton

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sfl-mtblog-2010-09-party_on_fau_players_suspended-story.html

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

I sure am glad I didn't do anything stupid when I was in college. I was a nobody. Nobody cares what I did.
Back to the top

That's a tough thing to only be remembered by especially since he was a freshman all american, part of 2 bowl winning teams, had 3 interceptions in our biggest win at that point
Back to the top

NJOWL said

jgf2017 said

Gun to my head 

Posted On: Apr 12th 2020, 12:23 PM #394645

This analysis is spot on. The fact that he downgraded is evidence that there was not much of a Meiko pursuit. Had he gone to uf, clemson, etc., then I would have felt like we really lost something.

If you transfer to a school that has been acting like a chicken with its head cut off, then we can't be losing out on too much.

Posted On: Apr 12th 2020, 12:34 PM #394647

Are you seriously saying going to FSU is downgrading or I’m I misunderstanding your point here?

I do feel better about the move after Shane and Rick’s comments but any senior leadership could have helped in this mess.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top
Control functions: