Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Willie Taggart in the ACC, Past FSU Performance, and as a Coach

Local Owl said

Fsu has a lot of missing pieces.  Amazes me how far they have fallen
Posted On: Sep 12th 2020, 9:17 PM #395930

I hate to say it but there's one person to blame for that…….
Back to the top

I remember arguing with some FSU homers earlier this year. It’s ok, I know I’m right. You have to disassociate from being a fan. And look at the trends. 

How about losing at BC 35-3 in 2017? Remember when I was being told I was wrong about the downward trajectory and that they’d be back on top soon?

I do. It’s called FSU’s over. 

Again why is FSU different than Nebraska being down for 20 years and Miami for almost 20 years? 

Are you seriously blaming Taggart? So you don’t blame Jimbo for losing 35-3 at BC in 2017. Why do you deny the correlation between 2017 and the 2020 opening loss today against Georgia Tech?
Back to the top

The thing people don’t understand is that a lot of time when coaches “fail” it wasn’t their fault at all. It’s not the sexy story and reporters will always blame someone, but you have to look deeper.

You have to look at how much the administration cares about football. How has recruiting been. How have the recruits planned out. How did the team perform several years before.

In the case of FSU the drop off in record was enormous to the point which I’ve mentioned a million times that in 2017 they were 2-5 after losing to Boston College 35-3.

When something like that happens, you have to wonder if the strength and conditioning has fallen behind. If that doesn’t get fixed, they have no chance to do anything no matter who is the coach. That’s the type of situation Taggart came into.

Fans are so delusional and trying to convince themselves that 2013-2014 wasn’t so long ago so that’s the standard. It’s a joke. You have to think deeper.

All offseason I said how far FSU has fallen and that they’d stay terrible. And look what’s happened, they’re a disaster. They supposedly made “progress” only losing to Notre Dame 42-26 to bring them to 1-3.
Back to the top

I couldn't care less about what happened at fsu.  And it is difficult,  if not impossible to judge after one game. We won the game against a good UNCC  team. Coach's first season is the strongest  in the history of FAU  football. My opinion on Taggart  is put on hold till we get back to some resemblance of normalcy. But my gut tells me everything will be fine.
Back to the top

Auto correct....STRANGEST.
Back to the top

I’ve mentioned that I think the peak for Mullin and Norvell is both 10-3. With the way UF started even I’ll admit I was thinking maybe I was wrong. But the loss to Texas A&M basically proved that I was right. I do think that Florida is in better shape than FSU right now.

What makes me mad is all the people acting like Taggart had anything to do with FSU’s program hitting rock bottom. 

Miami hasn’t had a top 10 finish in 17 years. And FSU fans act like it can’t happen to them?

Why can’t it happen? It happened to a program with more accolades than them. 

If FSU has fallen behind S&C wise then they’re screwed. They might peak at 10-3 one year and even that doesn’t look likely.

I don’t even think they’re S&C was that great in 2013-2014. They were down 21-3 to Auburn in the NC game. Then the next year they got curb stomped. If they haven’t improved with recruiting like The elite teams and S&C wise they have no chance. I’ve been saying it all offseason and look how pathetic FSU is. It could take a long time for them to get back if ever. 
Back to the top

SeminOwl28 said

Taggart is an awful coach.   I think you know that but you gotta play the media game and can't say it…FAU will be a bottom feeder in the aac with Taggart as coach.
Posted On: Sep 5th 2022, 10:09 AM #408083

SeminOwl28 said

Taggart can't make adjustments.   He's an idiot.   And his players take on the idiocy by being unprepared and playing like bone heads…Well I tried to warn everyone how awful of a hire this guy was.
Posted On: Sep 5th 2022, 11:30 AM #408087

SeminOwl28 said

He's not even a great recruiter.   He's been getting guys who failed out of p5 schools or failed to crack the 2 deep at these schools.   Sure they have fancy p5 school names next to their profile , but there are reasons they didn't make it.  Most are bad players  
Posted On: Sep 5th 2022, 12:42 PM #408089

Failed out of P5 schools? You expect transfers from P5 starters? If you're going to criticize at least make some sense. A lot of those transfers are making an impact now. They also have currently second best class in the conference.

You also said he failed everywhere he has been….where else has he been fired from?

Also find it interesting people always say "young offensive mind'' when asked about who would you hire. Many of those guys do not work just like any other type of coach. Scottie Montgomery was 9-26 at ECU, Philip Montgomery, who was the OC at Baylor from 2012 to 2014 is 37-48 at Tulsa. Even Josh Heupel was getting heat from UCF fans before he left.

There is no easy formula for programs who just can't go pay the most.
Back to the top

Owls2013 said

Rick said

This would be the point:

SeminOwl28 said

Taggart is an awful coach.   I think you know that but you gotta play the media game and can't say it…FAU will be a bottom feeder in the aac with Taggart as coach.
Posted On: Sep 5th 2022, 10:09 AM #408083

SeminOwl28 said

Taggart can't make adjustments.   He's an idiot.   And his players take on the idiocy by being unprepared and playing like bone heads…Well I tried to warn everyone how awful of a hire this guy was.
Posted On: Sep 5th 2022, 11:30 AM #408087

SeminOwl28 said

He's not even a great recruiter.   He's been getting guys who failed out of p5 schools or failed to crack the 2 deep at these schools.   Sure they have fancy p5 school names next to their profile , but there are reasons they didn't make it.  Most are bad players  
Posted On: Sep 5th 2022, 12:42 PM #408089

This is a free website you pay nothing for. I do this as a labor of love to help students and support the University.

That said, this is simply not a pleasurable way to spend my labor day. Arguing with someone about blasting a coach and players repeatedly. Someone who can't simply say "sure I'll follow the rules" and just wants to be an antagonist.

All you seem to want to do is argue with me, and honestly, that's drama I don't want to deal with so I am done and the conversation is over.

Posted On: Sep 5th 2022, 2:07 PM #408102
Failed out of P5 schools? You expect transfers from P5 starters? If you're going to criticize at least make some sense. A lot of those transfers are making an impact now. They also have currently second best class in the conference.

You also said he failed everywhere he has been….where else has he been fired from?

Also find it interesting people always say "young offensive mind'' when asked about who would you hire. Many of those guys do not work just like any other type of coach. Scottie Montgomery was 9-26 at ECU, Philip Montgomery, who was the OC at Baylor from 2012 to 2014 is 37-48 at Tulsa. Even Josh Heupel was getting heat from UCF fans before he left.

Posted On: Sep 5th 2022, 2:39 PM #408106

I'm not allowed to say anymore.  I don't agree with you.  Pm me if you have issues.  I gave you a direct name plus general scope of what I wanted.   Don't know what else you want for the question you asked ….

This thread is about ou game.  My stuff was about that.   You are coming at me on other stuff .  If you want a Convo, pm me.   I'm not allowed to fight back publicly
Back to the top

:Yawn:  :Yawn:  :Yawn:

We pay 1/2 the salary to our HC as other CUSA schools do.  Then we have 'fans' who dont even donate to the program who think we should be undefeated every year.  

It's insane.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

:Yawn:  :Yawn:  :Yawn:

We pay 1/2 the salary to our HC as other CUSA schools do.  Then we have 'fans' who dont even donate to the program who think we should be undefeated every year.  

It's insane.
Posted On: Sep 6th 2022, 9:56 AM #408121

I don't think giving money or not gives you more or less right to analyze how a team is doing.  For the record though I have given to fau

Can you point out the people saying we should be undefeated each year or even win the league each year?

I think wanting a solid program and a coach who can finish above .500 is a good thing to strive for instead of being average at best (and probably worse) like we are now
Back to the top
Control functions: